• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Good and the Bad

23 posts in this topic

Hi, my name is David and although I've been on the boards for a while, I don't post very often. I'm made some good friends here on the boards with mostly UK members but with the London Comic Convention happening here in a couple of days, I'm hopefully going to get the chance to meet many of you that are coming over. Just a bit of background before I go into the news I want to share. I was born and raised in a place called Morris, Illinois near Chicago. I joined the U.S. Navy working with computers after graduating from High School and did 6 months of training in San Diego, followed by 3 years on the USS Saratoga ( non-nuke aircraft carrier ) based out of Mayport, Florida ( near Jacksonville ). After this, I was offered shore duty in London and jumped at the chance. I always loved Doctor Who and the English comedies we used to get on television in the States so a tour in London was a dream come true. I met my wife during my US Navy tour in London and had a daughter so when they wanted to send me back to a ship, I instead decided to become a civilian and remain in the UK. And as of this year, I've lived in London for the same length of time I had lived in the US so consider myself half-British :) I still do computers and have worked for various computer companies in the UK: Sun Microsystems a few years ago and I currently work for IBM.

The Good:

Well as of last week, I've managed to pay off all my debts including the mortgage and am now completely debt free. This is largely due to the help of Flaming Telepath who has helped sell most of my high value comics. You really can't find anyone in this day and age with the integrity of Nick. Plus he can really teach you how to drink :) Now quickly go buy more of my comics from Nick.

The Bad:

Well my wife's health has been going downhill for a while now. She recently had to quit her job and was one of the key reasons why I decided to part with my prized comics in order to pay our bills off. She has diabetes and has recently had kidney failure as a result. She is currently undergoing dialysis but it's not fun. I'm hoping we find a donor the sooner the better.

Thanks for letting me share and I hope to meet you at the London Comic Convention. I'll be with my daughter on Saturday and wearing a Doctor Who t-shirt. I'll also probably be hanging around the Comicana Direct section at tables D55-D56 (thumbs u

David

Hey David, shame we won't meet up this time in London, I'm sending positive thoughts your way regarding your better half and hope you guys manage to find a suitable donor quickly.

Oh and I never would have guessed you've lived half your life in the UK, you still sound 100% American :whistle:

Hi David, so sorry to hear about your wife. You did the right thing by selling your collection and focusing on what is really important--your family.

Hope you have a wonderful time at the convention. Let your hair down and hoist one with Nick for me. This is a show I would love to cross the pond to attend.

I know how tough your wife's condition must be for you, Dave. Hang in there mate, when a donor does come along (and it will), it will improve things so much. Have a great time at the con and I'll see you there.

Please pass on my best wishes to your wife, my thoughts are with you and your family.

David, glad to hear you'll be at the London show.  Look forward to meeting you again and having a chat.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  My mother was a diabetic, and I understand what you're going through.  

Sending my best wishes to you both.

David,

I know you've been struggling with this for some time now, but in return for your kinds words, I've got to point out the maturity, sense and love you showed your family by letting the comics go to ensure security at home.

Big decision, mate, and not one that everybody would make. (worship)

David,

I know you've been struggling with this for some time now, but in return for your kinds words, I've got to point out the maturity, sense and love you showed your family by letting the comics go to ensure security at home.

Big decision, mate, and not one that everybody would make. (worship)

+1. And you've never once complained about it.

This touches home to me. Lots of diabetes around I see. I am a type 1 diabetic. I take insulin shots 4 times a day,or more.

I also have chronic kidney disease like your wife. I am fighting with diet and medication to not have to do dialysis. But I know eventualy I will have too. It is a daunting thing to be facing. Dialysis is no fun at all, and you are usually sick after having a treatment. Most get treatments three or four times a week and each can take 3 to 5 hours per treatment. Difinitely not something I want to do.

When you get to 16% kidney efficiency, they prepare you for dialysis. When you approach 11% efficiency, you go on dialysis. While undergoing counseling for preparation to take dialysis, one of the things they tell you is that you have the legal right to not do it. Thus die in about a week, if you do not.

That is the option I am going to use. I have had relatives and one friend, offer me a donated kidney, but I can not bear to think about taking one from one of my sons, or my wife. If you wait until a strangers kidney becomes available, you must be on dialysis for at least one year, and it is usually two years. If other health concerns are there, you may not get a kidney at all. Because of the thought that so many need kidneys and the people who are all around healthier would benefit more than sickly people. A kidney and pancreas replacement operation runs about 140-150K right now. I will just try my best to not have to be dependant on dialysis for as long as I can hold out. But due to other medical conditions, that is the choice I am going to take. My family knows this and will accept it when the time comes. Because they know that I am someone who has to live. Not just survive. Currently my kidney efficiency is around 30%. It was 45% two years ago, when I was initially diagnosed with CKD.

It will take at least a year, maybe two, before a kidney will come around for your wife on the normal procedure (the "list"). But if someone steps up and donates one for her specifically, then it could happen anytime. Provided her health will allow it otherwise.

Diabetes is a problem with the pancreas. Usually when they do a kidney transplant, they also (depending on what your insurance company will allow), do a pancreas replacement. This will actually aleviate the diabetes problem. The cool thing about that is they can use a pancreas from a cadaver. I find this amazing. Additionally, a donated kidney does not have to be a "match" from a relative. Just about anyone can donate a kidney to anyone else these days.

For those in the beginning stages of CKD (chronic kidney disease) (which means any type 1 diabetic), it comes from diabetes complications. You can be diabetic and hopefully avoid the CKD by diet and medication. Usually Diovon, along with keeping the blood pressure down and the A1C (blood sugar levels) as near as possible to normal levels. Diet is the key. Period. Diet, diet and diet. Unfortunately, the proper diet for fighting diabetes is different from the proper diet for avoiding CKD. You have to adjust and find a middle ground with that. The kidneys can never get better, but they can pretty much hold their own, with meds and proper diet. The diet is hard though.

I truly wish your wife and you, God speed and good luck. I don't know her age, but tell her that time will go by and a kidney will be there for her some day soon. Then life will be much better for both of you.

Me? I'm just a sissy that is tired of fighting it. I have been diabetic for 25 years. Within a year or three, there will be a lot of nice books up for sale on this site. Not that there hasn't been already. Many of my books came from here.

Since there are so many here diabetic, I thought I would share what I have learned about CKD. Remember, a lot less protein (meats, fish, eggs, dairy products, chocolate, alcohol, etc), keep the blood pressure normal and the blood sugar levels as normal as possible.

Like they say. You are what you eat.