• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof of CGC Inconsistency

20 posts in this topic

I have attached a scan of my Batman 49, CGC 8.0 OW/W pages. Now look at this book, CGC 8.0

http://www.comiclink.com/./auctions/item.asp?id=583419

Look at the stress at the staple, look at top and bottom corners by the spine, look at the lower right corner - there is a crease that breaks the color. There is just no comparison between the two books and yet they have the same grade.

I will sit back and wait for the flames...

497654-BATMAN49.JPG.a28dcc72815bed816d3c365217c63cc1.JPG

ummm....how is that proof. Although the link provided shows a CGC 8.0 with apparent cover flaws, the book in your attachment shows no grade and has less noticeable cover flaws. That doesn't mean the attached scan doesn't have enough flaws to get a CGC 8.0 grade.

Let the explanation begin 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you are asking for an opinion off of the scans then your attachment looks better than the graded copy confused-smiley-013.gif

Since I can't see the back or interior of either book I wouldn't feel comfortable rendering any type of grade, but the CGC 8.0 in the link certainly looks questionable to me.

With that being said if toy sat me down and had me grade 100 books and then had me regrade those 6-month's later....there would certainly be some inconsistencies as well. I'm not saying that mit's right, but there are things we don't know about the link book and I think CGC does the best job they can to offer an opinion as to the grade of a book.

We may not all agree, which is commonly the case, but if put in the same position, I am prettty certain most of us would falter a little bit from book to book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I must say...the comiclink bats does look overgraded...especially when compared to a Capt. A 55 that I sent in recently which had very similar flaws...my book recieved a 4.5 ... 893frustrated.gif

and finally the back cover.

I am not saying my copy should be a "9.4". I put it in the 8.0/8.5 range. This is one of the books I sent in to CGC for grading to see how they graded so I would know what I was buying. Unfortunitely, many (most?) of the 8.0 I have bought are no where as nice as this book is. I find them to be +/- 1.0 on there grading tending to over grade more often, which is why I love Heritage's large scans. I can see a book with a grade I would be interested in picking up and then look at the detailed scan to see what the real grade is acording to my standards (again, my standards). The scan in Comiclinks auction are not too good, but looking carefully makes me pass on several of the 8.0/8.5 books they have listed.

497707-bm49_back.jpg.a20cfa349734c8cbabf3ab95e003d37c.jpg

You should send your copy in to be regraded and see what happens. And yes the comiclink book is overgraded. I know that several people have joked about how bad of an 8.0 it is. I commented to someone that I guess my copy of 49 isn't as badly overgraded as I thought.

The only thing that I can see is that your copy has a very large crease down the left side along Joker's arm. The other copy doesn't have this crease, just other flaws. So your copy may have been downgraded because of this crease. Although without both books in hand it is very difficult to compare.

If I were you I would not resubmit the book in hopes of a higher grade. The most you would get would be a .5 increase/decrease.

I have gotten the impression that CGC's more recent grading (especially since they changed to the new label) has been less strict than they used to be. Has anyone else noticed this?

On a related note, I see that the Mile High copy of Star Spangled Comics # 17, which was graded as 8.5 in the November 2001 Signature Auction, is now graded (with the new label) as 9.6 in the current Signature Auction. I don't think that a change this significant can be attributed to simple pressing. It appears to reflect a change in grading standards.

I have gotten the impression that CGC's more recent grading (especially since they changed to the new label) has been less strict than they used to be. Has anyone else noticed this?

On a related note, I see that the Mile High copy of Star Spangled Comics # 17, which was graded as 8.5 in the November 2001 Signature Auction, is now graded (with the new label) as 9.6 in the current Signature Auction. I don't think that a change this significant can be attributed to simple pressing. It appears to reflect a change in grading standards.

That was my copy. It has an awesome double cover, one of only 10 Mile Highs to have a double cover.

Timely

Yes.

That's quite a jump,that's for sure!! I'm not so sure about their grading all the time on Golden Age books IMO!!!! I've seen High Grade Golden structurely nice with browning on the spine, that leads me to believe that book is going to get brittle, books with minor color touch, slight glue on spine -Universal Label!!! Then again your paying for a professinal opinion,that's all it is ,does it meet your standards ,if your going to collect I would tell anyone who is in the hobby or coming into Learn To Grade yourself!!! Get to know different dealers & CGC 's grading & look for consistency !!! If there not consistent, shop elsewhere,of course there is going to be mistakes once & awhile ,because no matter who's grading ,trying to make it a science,it's still a Art!!!

Yes.

Does this mean that two of my late 1930's GA books that I got graded at 9.6 for one of the Manning auctions would now be graded as a 9.9 or dare I even say a 10.0. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Haven't gotten anything else graded since then since I was just interested in testing the grading and the market at the time. Maybe it's time to do another little test since the GA 9.6's showing up on Heritage the past couple of years definitely have some noticeable flaws which did not appear acceptable before. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif