• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pricing low GPA volume books

13 posts in this topic

It's a rather nebulous question, but how do you typically gauge prices on books that have both a relatively low census on CGC and very few prices on GPA? It doesn't seem logical to hold that when the last recorded GPA sale for a book was 2007, today's price would be the same, assuming the same grade. It's certainly not that hard to get a ball park of prices on books that see a lot of transactions. However, when there have been only 1 or 2 sales noted on GPA for a book in the past 3 years, what additional information do you use for establishing something close to a fair market value?

I put this in GA specifically since it seems to be more closely related to GA books. For most later books, there are enough of them out there or that have either been sold or graded to get an easier since of the FMV.

On books with little or no GPA data I usually just figure a price that I would be comfortable selling them for. The price might be in relation to my cost. It might be in relation to my particular likes and dislikes. It might be at what I think it would cost to replace it. It might just be a number I pull out of the air. I always try to be fair. But since there is no sales data there is nothing that says whatever price I put on the book is wrong.

I just ask GAtor (shrug)

Like I said, sometimes I just pull a number out of the air.

It's a rather nebulous question, but how do you typically gauge prices on books that have both a relatively low census on CGC and very few prices on GPA? It doesn't seem logical to hold that when the last recorded GPA sale for a book was 2007, today's price would be the same, assuming the same grade. It's certainly not that hard to get a ball park of prices on books that see a lot of transactions. However, when there have been only 1 or 2 sales noted on GPA for a book in the past 3 years, what additional information do you use for establishing something close to a fair market value?

I put this in GA specifically since it seems to be more closely related to GA books. For most later books, there are enough of them out there or that have either been sold or graded to get an easier since of the FMV.

Welcome to the boards Cyo.

It's always a bit of a guess on those types of books. I often check Heritage's

past auction results, they have a huge archieve of comic sales. The CGC books would be reported in GPA but the raw books aren't. I also check Metropolis' prices as their inventory is comprehensive.

If there is old GPA data I start there and decide if the book or title is generally hot or cold.

Or the last method is I just pay knowing I'm setting a new GPA high :cry:

I have never used GPA when making a purchase.

you sir are a braver man then I am.

Not really. If you only collect 1 run, it's easy to follow the market. With rare books an auction will determine market value. This is when you have to decide what the book is worth to you. (thumbs u

Good question. Here is my process for pricing low-volume GPA books in the GA category.

For GA, first I look at the census to get a sense of supply for that condition range. Say the target book is a 6.0. Look at the 5.5s, 6.0s and 6.5s -- are there a few of these in the census or not? If there are only 1 or 2 (or none) of what I consider a very collectible book, that might motivate me to be willing to pay more or ask for a higher sales price. Another question is, "how often do I see this book on the market?" There are some books that you rarely see come up; others are always popping up on eBay.

Once I get a sense of supply, go to GPA. Are there a few sales in this grade range of the target book or not? A lot of times the most recent sale might of a slabbed book might be -- as you pointed out -- 2007. Not all that helpful, but jot it down to put on the "low end" of the pricing range.

Then I go to OPG, which gives current parameters -- sort of a zone of reasonableness, instead of the GPA "strike" prices. Note -- sometimes OPG is totally off (as in under) for certain GA, like Timelys, early Actions, certain classic or highly collectible covers, etc., especially in higher grades.

Next, look to see if a raw version of the target book is on e-Bay (not buy-it-now which frequently are ridiculous prices, but auctions). The ultimate e-Bay sale price is discounted on raw because of the risk that the book is a PLOD candidate or that the seller has over-graded the book. But a helpful number nonetheless.

Next, balance it all out with what respected non-eBay retailers are selling it for at "full freight" -- Metropolis is an excellent source because of their vast inventory, and I like Worldwide also. That gives you a bit of the market "ask" in determing your pricing range.

Last -- and for GA -- are the pages OW or W? I think that's important on 70-year-old GA books, that merits giving the book a bit of a "bump up."

I try to think back to what did I do in my previous 30 years of collecting before GPA and CGC censuses (censi?) came into existence.