• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Your Show Etiquette ?

41 posts in this topic

We all have our own personal set of guidelines that we act within at shows. I just read a story of an individual (this is not a hate thread) that was apparently involved in accidentally knocking down a dealer's display after asking and being allowed access to behind the table.

What do you do at shows?

Me? I am personally of the idea that until I pay cash for it I am not touching it. I came to that conclusion after a dealer laid a book out in front of a prospective customer that was next to me. Someone bumped into the guy as the dealer allowed the buyer to turn the page... All it took was a bump and a jostle and you had a rip in the page. Wrong place wrong time.

When looking at books I usually have my loot in a hard case folder keeper in my messenger bag. When looking at expensive books, the bag swings in front of me so I know where my stuff is and I only go where I am allowed to go. The last thing I want to do is be responsible should anything happen. Everything and anything as far as I am concerned is off limits unless I ask. If the dealer says I am free to touch then even then I go by comfort level and ask the dealer for assistance telling him it is not mine unless I hand you the cash. Usually the dealer does not mind.

The last thing I ever want to do is be in the situation at one of these crowded shows where I damaged some guys property from being bumped by the crowd.

Any words...?

There are a couple of dealers that I feel comfortable with going behind to their wall books.Harley Yee,Bob Storms,and Rick Whitelock,but to be honest I would rather not go behind their table.I rather would have them hand me the books I'm requesting to look at.As far as the money and or books I buy,I carry them in a hard locked laptop case.So they are protected from anyone that bumps into me. 2c

There are a couple of dealers that I feel comfortable with going behind to their wall books.Harley Yee,Bob Storms,and Rick Whitelock,but to be honest I would rather not go behind their table.I rather would have them hand me the books I'm requesting to look at.As far as the money and or books I buy,I carry them in a hard locked laptop case.So they are protected from anyone that bumps into me. 2c

The hard case is a good idea. I usually carry mine inside a small box, inside a school bag. Its a pain though, having the bag on your back with the crowds. I might have to switch it up.

If I am purchasing any book of high value, I usually ask if I can step behind the table to view the book - this way I can avoid being bumped. I find many dealers will help. Then at least both the dealer and I are away from insufficiently_thoughtful_persons bumping into you or peering over your shoulder.

I carry a rucksack designed for a laptop which has a protected inner area where I put my comics. Then if its busy, carry it in front of me so I do not accidently bump anyone while turning - MOST insufficiently_thoughtful_persons do not do this which is effing annoying. :frustrated:

Saying that the last time I went to a show, I have a friend with me who was kinda daunting looking, so everyone gave us a wide berth (thumbs u

I have a hard plastic box that will fit books up to the size of CGC slabs and Omnibus editions, with some magazine-size bags and boards inside for raw comics purchases, and a few bubblewrap pieces to fill the box out.  When I run out of space,  I just use this as an excuse to leave the con, decompress a bit, take my stuff back to the hotel and get lunch and a drink.  Then, after about an hour or so, it's back into the fray.

With a lot of theft occurring at shows I am not a big fan of open booth to the back wall designs. Too many books disappear.

Asking to come back to look is generally respectful as far as I'm concerned. Some get offended if I don't let them back to look.

If I know someone a long time and have seen them handle books I really don't mind them taking a book out.

However, I have witnessed some very brutal book handling at my booth and if you just so happened to be walking by at the time you would be witnessing a "Bad bob" moment. I can understand kids being a little rough but frankly am not sure why adults feel it's necessary to bend my books back so that they can see what they are looking at. Or if they can't put the book back into the box they feel compelled to stuff it in.

I have witnessed some books falling off my shelf from a helper I know very well. Needless to say the slow motion reactions from others around him were priceless and thankfully no book was damaged. That's why it pays to have a bigger board around your books in case of things like this. Dent the board, not the book (Remember, Hotflips has you covered :))

Hmmm, never occurred to me to ask to go back. I've never been jostled while camped out in front of a booth. I do ask them to take them out of mylars, etc. for me and I don't want to be responsible for that. Admittedly, it has been about 10 years since I was chasing reasonably expensive books at shows.

Dent the board, not the book (Remember, Hotflips has you covered :))

Bob Storms has officially sold out to media pressure.

Dent the board, not the book (Remember, Hotflips has you covered :))

Bob Storms has officially sold out to media pressure.

Because Bob (of HIGHGRADECOMICS.COM) knows where he can get the best prices, best products, and best customer service.

You will all be wearing Hotflips T-Shirts soon. Just because you all want to go mainstream.

Edited by HOTFLIPS

I have witnessed some books falling off my shelf from a helper I know very well. Needless to say the slow motion reactions from others around him were priceless and thankfully no book was damaged.

Sounds like a huge twit hm

Jim

I have witnessed some books falling off my shelf from a helper I know very well. Needless to say the slow motion reactions from others around him were priceless and thankfully no book was damaged.

Sounds like a huge twit hm

Jim

I hear it was such a big deal they named a Pedigree after the incident.

I carry a hard sided briefcase that I mounted d-rings to so a shoulder strap can be used. Check your local goodwill or salvation army. These are nice because they fit two stacks of books side by side, or slabs longwise. They also have dividers, so as I get books signed I can move them to another slot in the case.

As far as going behind a table, I'm fine with it. Easier to see the books and I can look at more books.

I like to have a nice shower, clean clothes, deodorant, & perhaps some cologne when attending cons.
+1

I wish everyone in the hobby felt the same.

+2. Oh god, +2.

Has anyone else had to completely avoid a dealers table because there was one gentlemen there (either dealing, or buying) producing such an odour you couldn't be near?

I like to have a nice shower, clean clothes, deodorant, & perhaps some cologne when attending cons.

Good Hygiene never goes out of fashion. :banana:

From 2009...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3547312&fpart=1

Edited by Flee-Marquette