• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade CGC Silver and Bronze - THREAD CLOSED

260 posts in this topic

Batman 236 9.6 OW/W $260

bats236.jpg

If only this was a copy with white pages. :(

It probably is.... :gossip:

Ahh, let me clarify. WP not OWWP. OK, thanks.

I've had books go from oww to wp on more than one occasion, as have others.

The CGC standards for paper quality are very poor. They prove that by the many changes upon resubmissions, they can't tell the difference, or change their minds, or the standards are poor. Your choice.

PQ should have number grades, 0-10 just like the condition grades. Right now they look for and find the lightest color inside a book, and call it that with some discounting from surrounding shading etc. That is not the best way to do it. I want to know what the worst PQ is inside a book, the "someday going to be brittle" part.

That is a beautiful Batman #236, I would not hesitate to buy that if I was in the market for it.

(thumbs u

I wouldn't say it's not possible but I certainly wouldn't buy a book with the hopes that its page quality would go up with a re-submittal to cgc. Seems a bit like russian roulette to me. Maybe you'll eat the bullet and maybe you won't...

The CGC standards for paper quality are very poor. They prove that by the many changes upon resubmissions, they can't tell the difference, or change their minds, or the standards are poor. Your choice.

PQ should have number grades, 0-10 just like the condition grades. Right now they look for and find the lightest color inside a book, and call it that with some discounting from surrounding shading etc. That is not the best way to do it. I want to know what the worst PQ is inside a book, the "someday going to be brittle" part.

That is a beautiful Batman #236, I would not hesitate to buy that if I was in the market for it.

(thumbs u

I don't disagree that its a nice copy but page quality is one of my hang ups, although I will sacrifice it from time to time for pedigree copies, etc. I guess its a character flaw....

I certainly wouldn't gamble that CGC would up the page quality upon resubmitting. That sounds awfully similar to an experience I had on eBay. The vendor had a 8.5 copy of HoS96 on eBay with a 9.2 picture in front of it. When I reached out to the vendor the guy was like no it's a 8.5, wrong picture, but he guaranteed that it was under-graded. Just doesn't seem to be on the level to me.

And, I seem to recall a conversation in the bats 227 thread that leans in the opposite direction of what you're saying but I could be wrong. I mean you could totally be right but I don't know who you are beyond that awesome "Peter Loves Gwen" handle. :)

Anyway, good luck with the sale.

I wouldn't say it's not possible but I certainly wouldn't buy a book with the hopes that its page quality would go up with a re-submittal to cgc. Seems a bit like russian roulette to me. Maybe you'll eat the bullet and maybe you won't...

In case you missed my post about page quality in the Pedigree thread in the General forum:

Page quality designations are not a science and they have been known to vary slightly. I've cracked out enough CGC graded books to know that I have no problem owning a book that has is not a white pager.

The description of the page quality on a label is often a lot less forgiving than the page quality actually looks in hand and people often get scared off by the words on the label without actually understanding what it means.

For example, most pages are not uniform right across the entire face of the page. There might be a touch of cream (or a bit of tan) on one side (or more than one side) of the book causing a cream or light tan designation and yet the book has gorgeous page quality throughout the rest of the book (except for that one edge).

While the PQ designation is a helpful guide to those who care about such things, I personally don't put a lot of weight on it.

In case you missed my post about page quality in the Pedigree thread in the General forum:

Page quality designations are not a science and they have been known to vary slightly. I've cracked out enough CGC graded books to know that I have no problem owning a book that has is not a white pager.

The description of the page quality on a label is often a lot less forgiving than the page quality actually looks in hand and people often get scared off by the words on the label without actually understanding what it means.

For example, most pages are not uniform right across the entire face of the page. There might be a touch of cream (or a bit of tan) on one side (or more than one side) of the book causing a cream or light tan designation and yet the book has gorgeous page quality throughout the rest of the book (except for that one edge).

While the PQ designation is a helpful guide to those who care about such things, I personally don't put a lot of weight on it.

No, I saw what you posted but like I said PQ is something important to me (given that we are talking about comic books here) and I am really not into taking the gamble that CGC got it wrong when they evaluated the book. As I said before, you guys could be right, but frankly, you're not CGC. While I may not always be pleased with their turn around times, and I'm sure they can make mistakes, I have been pretty satisfied with their work and at this time I rely on their judgement and expertise in this field. This is not my primary field and I trust their judgement, on the condition of comic books, over my own.

And there's no insult intended in any of this. Just when it comes to laying down cash, I'm a bit more skeptical and critical of just anything said on the Internet. I'd imagine we're all this way and if not, well, I know a Nigerian ambassador who needs help transferring millions of dollars into the US. :)

Also, apologies to the OP, I know you're just trying to sell some books.

No worries and no offence taken. We all collect what we enjoy.

And some sellers don't mind a little positive dialogue in regards to their books as it keeps the selling threads bumped.

At least, I didn't when I sold on here.

:shy: