• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do...

159 posts in this topic

He snoozed; he loozed.

Additionally, he was honest that he was in this for eventual profit.

Guess who else sells comic books for profit?

The tall man with Mississippi cigars on the way to him.

Obvious question that hasn't been asked -- has the guy returned and asked for the book at $4700?

He has not come back in but I expect to see him Wednesday for new comic day. I'm sure conversation about the book will come up. That's why I'm asking the question. I really haven't decided how I want to approach it. But I have pulled the book off the web-site for the time being.

Obvious question that hasn't been asked -- has the guy returned and asked for the book at $4700?

He has not come back in but I expect to see him Wednesday for new comic day. I'm sure conversation about the book will come up. That's why I'm asking the question. I really haven't decided how I want to approach it. But I have pulled the book off the web-site for the time being.

Would it be wrong for you to just go into a deep deep belly laugh when he asks you if the book is still available?

The tall man with Mississippi cigars on the way to him.

I want to hang out with that guy.

Would it be wrong for you to just go into a deep deep belly laugh when he asks you if the book is still available?

Do you mean a "bwahahaha", a "ho-ho-ho", or just a lol ?

I have had a 9.6 ow/w X-Men #9 for about six weeks. I priced it at $5250, which admittedly is a little higher than GPA. But the book is a knockout and I figured there would be some negotiating room. About three weeks ago a guy came into the store and offered $3600 for it. He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount. He is not a GPA subscriber. I showed him all of the GPA info and said the best I'd do is $4700, which is around the GPA average. He passed. Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer. I again said $4700 was the best I could do. He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

Here's another option.

Reprice the book as you normally would based on the auction result.

The olive branch you can extend to this guy might be to offer it to him at the original list price of $5250 - which is still giving him a deal based on the result.

He learns a $500 dollar lesson but still feels like you gave him something based on coming to you & negotiating for the book earlier.

(shrug)

If people adjusted their prices based on auction results every week then you'd likely have problems both upwards and downwards on books. There are always outliers and I don't think this book is rare enough in that grade to think the new FMV on the book is 7K, especially without knowing why the book finished so high.

I'd stay firm at what you thought was fair value for the book before and let him decide whether or not he thinks the book is now worth that amount.

This is just my opinion, but in most cases, there are no outliers. Sure, there ar a few exceptions. But the fact remains that every sale affects the market value of a book. Maybe someone thought that book had a shot at 9.8. So what. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. Maybe Richard's book does, or maybe it doesn't. Every sale has a bearing on market value. Richard has said that it is an extremely attractive book with white pages (I think he said it, or maybe I remember seeing it).

Something probably right between the "bwahahaha" and "ho-ho-ho" and for a duration of no less than 2 seconds and not more than 5...with arms across your midsection as if to prevent guts from busting.

I have had a 9.6 ow/w X-Men #9 for about six weeks. I priced it at $5250, which admittedly is a little higher than GPA. But the book is a knockout and I figured there would be some negotiating room. About three weeks ago a guy came into the store and offered $3600 for it. He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount. He is not a GPA subscriber. I showed him all of the GPA info and said the best I'd do is $4700, which is around the GPA average. He passed. Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer. I again said $4700 was the best I could do. He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

Call it a "pressing candidate" and price it at $14,154.

If a regular customer I would honor the $4,700 . But if not either tell him he had his chance to buy it at $4,700 and now its $5,500 Or tell him that there others now interested in the book since the auction and the price has gone up.

If a regular customer I would honor the $4,700 . But if not either tell him he had his chance to buy it at $4,700 and now its $5,500 Or tell him that there others now interested in the book since the auction and the price has gone up.

He's not a regular. I think everyone is in agreement that if he was, then you probably honor the original offer.

He sounds to me he is one of those really intelligent last GPA sale kind of guy when the book is low, and a 12 month average guy if last couple sales were high. :/

I would say to him since we were bartering back and forth on the book's last couple of sales then the last C-Link sale was 7k+, so if you if you want the book now I would let it go for $5500.

Maybe this last sale will prompt him to stop his hesitation in buying the book.

Something probably right between the "bwahahaha" and "ho-ho-ho" and for a duration of no less than 2 seconds and not more than 5...with arms across your midsection as if to prevent guts from busting.

Thank you!

Is this guy a customer or just a walk-in ? Does he regularly buy higher end books ?

He's a newer customer (moved to Houston a few months ago). He buys new comics every week, but has never bought a higher priced comic from me. And he is very upfront about the fact that he only buys investment grade books if he can get a deal.

Just a reminder because I like you: we're on the internet, and he has internet. Regardless of what happens with this book, you don't want to chase away someone willing to spend 4K on a comic. Just saying. (shrug)

Is this guy a customer or just a walk-in ? Does he regularly buy higher end books ?

He's a newer customer (moved to Houston a few months ago). He buys new comics every week, but has never bought a higher priced comic from me. And he is very upfront about the fact that he only buys investment grade books if he can get a deal.

Just a reminder because I like you: we're on the internet, and he has internet. Regardless of what happens with this book, you don't want to chase away someone willing to spend 4K on a comic. Just saying. (shrug)

There are lots of guys who will spend 4K on a 7K book. Just sayin

If it were me, I would sell the book at your original sticker of $5250.

So what would you do?

Basically, if you let him have the book at $4700, you'd be doing him a big favour, which you might do if he was a very good customer or a friend but you're not under obligation to do so, businesswise or morally. I think the best way forward is to reprice the book to what you would have done if you hadn't discussed it with him and then give him as good of a deal as you feel is appropriate.