• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do...

159 posts in this topic

So how did the story wrap up Bedrock? Did he return to the store at all? :popcorn:

He hasn't been by yet. I thought I'd see him yesterday or today. Maybe tomorrow. He has some new books in his pull box so I expect him in shortly. I'll get back with a full recap of the conversation.

You will really like this ....

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wow, you must be Charles Xavier or something to be able to read my mind like that. Can you hit me up with some insider stock tips or something? :)

Might want to ask me before you just make a silly wild @ss guess about what I'm thinking. I'll do my best to do the same before I blatantly make an attribution about what someone else is thinking as well.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

: grinin Rubs Temples :

Woeful indignation!!!

Read your mind again? Didn't I? Funny how that worked.

Notice, I didn't say "Righteous". Because you are definitely not right.

.... He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount...... Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer.

There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

His "reasoning" seems based on recent sales, so his next offer or his expecation of asking should be based on the recent sale.

You note no agreement that last offer will hold.

It's a business decision not an ethical issue, do if the long term value of this customer suggests giving him a deal will pay off, I'd do it. Otherwise I'd tell him the book is going to auction and he can bid on it. my 2c

His "reasoning" seems based on recent sales, so his next offer or his expecation of asking should be based on the recent sale.

Yea, that buyer is a jack @ss right? I mean what is that guy's problem attempting to keep his final price close to previous documented sales. He must actually work for a living or something and not be a trust fund baby who can pull unlimited amounts of capital out of his @ss.

We don't want that guy in the hobby, maybe we should behead him or something....

Or, joking aside, he'll acknowledge that a new data point is out there to average into his offer and if he can't afford it, well he'll let it go. I'm not sure I see a reason to belittle or think less of the buyer.

You will really like this ....

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wow, you must be Charles Xavier or something to be able to read my mind like that. Can you hit me up with some insider stock tips or something? :)

Might want to ask me before you just make a silly wild @ss guess about what I'm thinking. I'll do my best to do the same before I blatantly make an attribution about what someone else is thinking as well.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

: grinin Rubs Temples :

Woeful indignation!!!

Read your mind again? Didn't I? Funny how that worked.

Notice, I didn't say "Righteous". Because you are definitely not right.

Woeful indignation is my default frame of mind. You are going to have to do better than that to impress me with your parlor tricks.

:)

Yea, that buyer is a jack @ss right? I mean what is that guy's problem attempting to keep his final price close to previous documented sales. He must actually work for a living or something and not be a trust fund baby who can pull unlimited amounts of capital out of his @ss.

We don't want that guy in the hobby, maybe we should behead him or something....

Or, joking aside, he'll acknowledge that a new data point is out there to average into his offer and if he can't afford it, well he'll let it go. I'm not sure I see a reason to belittle or think less of the buyer.

Yet didn't you recently start a thread belittling a buyer because he was trying to flip a book he bought from you for a profit?

Yet didn't you recently start a thread belittling a buyer because he was trying to flip a book he bought from you for a profit?

No I asked the question why is the buyer asking 90% over gpa average. In fact, by the end of the thread I was questioning why everyone on eBay was asking 90 - 100% over gpa average. I don't see that as belittling anyone.

Where am I the slightest bit judgemental of the buyer?

Where am I the slightest bit judgemental of the buyer?

Not at all. In fact, I actually thought your post was hugely reasonable.

I was just using your post to make the point, albeit in a sarcastic fashion, that the buyer is not a jerk or mentally deficient because he's not willing to pay a big premium over what he's seen the book go for in the past. Some other folks, myself included, may think the same way. I get that folks are looking to make money but on the other hand some of us want to ensure we're paying the right price and not purchasing an item that's equity is going to immediately deflate after purchase.

Personally, I think evaluating any purchase is prudent. Although, we're dealing with comics here we're still talking about real dollars.

Arrange to put it on CL (since it feeds GPA) for something like 8k, with a buyer pre-arranged who will then sit on it three weeks and put it back up for a similar price, whereupon you buy it back. Suddenly there is strong GPA evidence for a major upswing in value, and you can confidently and justifiably reprice it accordingly. :devil:

yes, to this point the buyer is certainly reasonable in his logic and in his approach. Most of us would have acted similarly (except the abject lowballers).

I think we are expecting him to deviate from that in his next dealing with Mr. B. If so I admit we are jumping the gun here an making some assumptions that may not materialize.

Is this guy a customer or just a walk-in ? Does he regularly buy higher end books ?

If so I would honor my price of $4700 but would insist on cash and make him aware that with the recent sale you are doing him a solid and are a man of your word.

Sure you would leave something on the table but maybe get a real loyal and happy customer for life out of it.

Yes but only if it's a regular customer.

Because, really, he gave no "word" to honor. They negotiated, offered and counter offered. Richard's last counter offer was rejected. When you reject an offer or counteroffer that's the end of the deal until the seller or buyer makes another offer which is then accepted.

At this point there's nothing at all between them. No deal at all.

^^

Update:

So the guy finally came in. We talked about the auction, the book, and the market in general. He was very upfront about the fact that he was specifically looking for a deal on one of the X-Men 9s. In fact he said he had made offers on mine, Roy's and was watching the one in C-Link with the hopes that he could play all three against each other and in the end possibly end up with two or three of them at a good price. In this instance it didn't work out as all of the books have ultimately sold at strong prices. But that is how he likes to collect. I think the game is as much fun as the acquisition for him. He has picked up some killer books at ridiculously low prices in the past. So all is well, no hard feelings, and we have a better understanding of what each is looking for in a deal for the future.

Cool, glAd to hear that the guy was amicable and was upfront about his way of buying. It's always good to know where everyone stands in the way they deal. :applause:

Update:

So the guy finally came in. We talked about the auction, the book, and the market in general. He was very upfront about the fact that he was specifically looking for a deal on one of the X-Men 9s. In fact he said he had made offers on mine, Roy's and was watching the one in C-Link with the hopes that he could play all three against each other and in the end possibly end up with two or three of them at a good price. In this instance it didn't work out as all of the books have ultimately sold at strong prices. But that is how he likes to collect. I think the game is as much fun as the acquisition for him. He has picked up some killer books at ridiculously low prices in the past. So all is well, no hard feelings, and we have a better understanding of what each is looking for in a deal for the future.

So is he no longer interested in the book or is there still a deal to be done ?

Update:

Interesting. Did you figure out if he is flipping books or buying and holding?

Yes, I pretty much understand what he is looking for.

He is looking to be "in at a profit".

I do all the work, they get a great book at a great price and then they have some "profit" in it already.

Better yet, I just hand them money out of my pocket so that they really feel good about buying from me.

Yes, I pretty much understand what he is looking for.

He is looking to be "in at a profit".

I do all the work, they get a great book at a great price and then they have some "profit" in it already.

Better yet, I just hand them money out of my pocket so that they really feel good about buying from me.

Sign me up Bob (thumbs u