• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon

22 posts in this topic

WonderCon is this weekend and I am going on Friday. I've been looking over the artist list and I recognize a few names others are unknown to me. First off anyone else going? And two anyone familiar with any of the attendees and are any of them reasonably priced let's say 75 or under for a sketch/commission?

I'm a fan of Sho Murase:

sho-murase-mary-marvel-caf.jpg

and Rebekah Isaacs:

rebekah-isaacs-mary-marvel.jpg

Bernard Chang does great con sketches, but they're a bit more than $75:

bernard-chang-adam-strange-caf.jpg

I bet you can get something nice from Sienkiewicz for $75:

sienkiewicz-flash-cover-caf.jpg

Dan Parent's always fun & affordable:

dan-parent-betty-as-mary-marvel-caf.jpg

I don't know Oliver Nome's rates these days, but this was pretty affordable a couple years ago:

oliver-nome-flash-reverse-flash.jpg

I have seen a handful of comic characters by him. A sensational Venom and a very cool Wolverine. I would assume a Joker would work out very nice.

He listed his prices today as $40 for a 9x12 and $75 for an 11x17. I should come up with a plan to get an 11x17 with a playing card theme for my collection. He has done about 10 pieces for me, but on other subject matter.

Huge artists alley at WonderCon. In better budget times, I would have come home with an armload of cool stuff.

Anyone pick up some good commissions or published work? I was pretty much broke, so I picked up my one commission from Sean Deitrich and then a quick and very cheap sketch from Terrence Brown II.

From Sean Deitrich, putting his take on the Batman #251 cover:

SeanDeitrich-Batman251jokerbatman.jpg

I'll add Thom Zahler - Maerkle Press/ Love and Capes AA-068

If you aren't reading LnC, you are missing a bet.

Zahler,%20Tom%20-%20L&C%2011%20Cover%20Reproduction.jpg

+1 for Zahler. I've got 2 commissions from him. One ended up in one of his sketchbooks. Always cool to watch him because he inks with a brush. And great rates.

Huge artists alley at WonderCon. In better budget times, I would have come home with an armload of cool stuff.

Anyone pick up some good commissions or published work? I was pretty much broke, so I picked up my one commission from Sean Deitrich and then a quick and very cheap sketch from Terrence Brown II.

From Sean Deitrich, putting his take on the Batman #251 cover:

SeanDeitrich-Batman251jokerbatman.jpg

I love it :golfclap:

I was disappointed in the WOnderCon artists Alley. An hour into the first day I would say that 30% of the tables still had no one at them and by the time I left 5 hours later a lot of tables were still empty. I got tired of waiting for people I wanted to show up since I only had a one-day pass. Every artist wanted me to come back at the end of the show and none were willing to ship. That whole trend started with Art Adams and just kept on going. I got one piece of Yellowjacket by Oliver Nome and spent my money on tpb diving in bargain bins. Here's the one piece I got:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=871856&GSub=118010

I was disappointed in the WOnderCon artists Alley. An hour into the first day I would say that 30% of the tables still had no one at them and by the time I left 5 hours later a lot of tables were still empty. I got tired of waiting for people I wanted to show up since I only had a one-day pass. Every artist wanted me to come back at the end of the show and none were willing to ship. That whole trend started with Art Adams and just kept on going. I got one piece of Yellowjacket by Oliver Nome and spent my money on tpb diving in bargain bins. Here's the one piece I got:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=871856&GSub=118010

Yeah, I've had to deal with that too. I was going around with someone at SDCC '11 and he decided to get a sketch from a fairly well received artist. Anyways, he gave his sketchbook to said artist who promised the work would be done by the end of the day. After repeated visits, he got it back by halfway through the NEXT day. He could have had a one day pass and if the artist never really was attentive to that, he could have lost out on a few sketches. As it was, he did miss out on a sketch from Bob Burden, who he ended up having to get on a friend's book. He wasn't terribly thrilled with the experience.

It was about around the one year anniversary of my commission request from Bill Sienkiewicz that I paid CIA (Cash in Advance) for a commission from in 2011, and he delivered a nice piece for me at this show, so I'm finally almost finished with artists who owe me artwork with only two other artists in my "pending" (waiting) cue.

The show overall was decent and although I didn't fish in the commissions and sketches pool, I did see a lot of activity by:

Linsner

Mike McKone

Michael Golden

Eric Powell

Rebeckah Issacs

Ryan Sook

Mike Mignola

Ale Garza

Norm Rapmund

Michael Golden

Marat Mychaels

Philip Tan

...and a bunch of other artists busy working through the show

A buddy of mine lost his Jam piece on Friday at the con. He is press and was on the floor when security made non-exhibitors get off the floor. He accidentally left it in his portfolio at the IDW booth as security rushed him out. When he went right back there right after show open it was gone. IDW doesn't have it and nobody has turned it in to lost and found.

The jam piece is a 'Marvel Redheads' theme. If you see it float up for sale anywhere, please PM me. Below are the details:

ART DESCRIPTION:

* large 14x17 bristol, landscape format

* B&W Redheads of the Marvel U with colored hair

- Each was full figure, and maybe 6" high

Some of the figures I recall:

* Black Widow by Jun Bob Kim

* Mary Jane Watson by Tim Seeley

* Shanna the She-Devil (hanging from a vine) by Ron Randall

* Siryn (flying) by Dave Beaty

* Firestar by Ben Glendenning

--> there were others I can't recall right now