• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jobs

79 posts in this topic

Does anyone here buy and sell comics full time??? I only ask because to be quite honest im tired of working at my job. Ive been collecting since the mid 70's and ive always wanted to make the leap to comics as my job as well as my hobby. House is paid for, kids are moving on to college so my monthly living costs are low. Ive always had cold feet but darn if i just dont want to jump into this full time. In my time of lurking here i see so much joy and passion from some of the guys here i just want to quit my job and jump right in. Any advice?

Definitely quit today. It is super easy to make sick bread selling comics full time. Storms has Mark Cuban on speed dial, and Bedrock has a sapphire studded collar for his panther.

Bedrock has a sapphire studded collar for his panther.

And a matching pinky ring (thumbs u

Bedrock has a sapphire studded collar for his panther.

And a matching pinky ring (thumbs u

Is that what they call it down in Texas?

I always thought things were bigger down there.

If you can locate and purchase collections. Then turn them around properly. I'd say yes.

Three easiest things in the world.

You might as well have said inhale, exhale, and evacuate.

Well i see that ive been wasting my time in my current job. I guess ill stock pile a few more paychecks pull the books i want to keep and start wheeling and dealing. From what i see here, moderns get in and out quick , CGC key books and hit any sources for books to sell. Estate sales, garage sales, craigslist etc.....oh and offer cool books to the boards first. Am i missing anything?

Well i see that ive been wasting my time in my current job. I guess ill stock pile a few more paychecks pull the books i want to keep and start wheeling and dealing. From what i see here, moderns get in and out quick , CGC key books and hit any sources for books to sell. Estate sales, garage sales, craigslist etc.....oh and offer cool books to the boards first. Am i missing anything?

Take some extra Vitamin E and eat some oysters so as to be able to service all the groupies.

If you can locate and purchase collections. Then turn them around properly. I'd say yes.

Three easiest things in the world.

You might as well have said inhale, exhale, and evacuate.

Hence the word "IF".

Mere details. For seed money I am going to use the cash those Nigerian Princes promised me for helping them get their money out of the country.

Be right back.

Look, ultimately being a comic book dealer is no different than starting any other business. You should draw up a business plan identifying how much time you will be spending running the business, what resources you will need both in terms of finance and the tools that you will need; premises, vehicle, transport, computer, website etc, etc, the list goes on.

One word of caution; do not confuse your hobby with your business. It's all well and good being passionate and knowledgeable about comics, but you have to understand the principles of running a business just as much as what books to stock.

The successful guys on here who are dealers work incredibly hard and have learnt their trade over many years of trial and error.

I'm not trying to put you off, but I have started a couple of successful businesses over the years and I have met many "dreamers" who have a romanticized idea of what working for yourself entails, they usually get one helluva shock when reality sets in.

If after all that you still feel that you want to give it a shot, then I wish you the very best. Just do your homework first. (thumbs u

There is no reason why someone can't make at least a modest living doing comics full time, HOWEVER, be forewarned its already a very competitive market as a seller, margins tend to be low (unless you score a nice collection on the cheap), and venues for sale have pitfalls (ebay is expensive and the returns often stink, C-link is a decent option at only 10%, but they too are more of a clearing house now for common material).

It all comes down to...what do you need as a minimum to pay the bills, put a few bucks away for savings, and reinvest a little every month into your inventory. Have a home budget first if this is going to become your primary source of income, and then divise a business plan around it.

im selling and buying back issues to get my name known, only just started and i never knew it would be so much work sorting all out but hope in a few years it will be a steady income and finish my dead end job, but until i know i will be ok i wont do anything drastic, im waiting for Diamond UK to say ok for a account so i can make a few more quid on moderns. my advice, dont jump in the deep end, take your time, get it right.

Look, ultimately being a comic book dealer is no different than starting any other business. You should draw up a business plan identifying how much time you will be spending running the business, what resources you will need both in terms of finance and the tools that you will need; premises, vehicle, transport, computer, website etc, etc, the list goes on.

One word of caution; do not confuse your hobby with your business. It's all well and good being passionate and knowledgeable about comics, but you have to understand the principles of running a business just as much as what books to stock.

The successful guys on here who are dealers work incredibly hard and have learnt their trade over many years of trial and error.

I'm not trying to put you off, but I have started a couple of successful businesses over the years and I have met many "dreamers" who have a romanticized idea of what working for yourself entails, they usually get one helluva shock when reality sets in.

If after all that you still feel that you want to give it a shot, then I wish you the very best. Just do your homework first. (thumbs u

This.

If you know what your doing you can make some cash here. I would certainly put modern post 2000 comics ahead of both bronze and copper age comics. Bronze and Copper age comics are slower than Beanie Babies. Modern is also awesome, as you can start your empire here if you were not around when gold and silver age took off. :cloud9: