• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead - 1st Dayl Dixon & Something to Fear

128 posts in this topic

the way the walking dead is being marketed, and the rabid fanbase, you can't compare it to any other comic series in history.
TMNT had a pretty popular show

Hmmmm... This argument seems to depreciate your credibility.

I think it's a perfect example. TMNT started as a comic with a limited following and mushroomed into something that had a 10+ year run on television, several motion pictures, several million dollars in licensing sales, and finally a sale for more than $60 million to Nickelodeon.

That's a comic series that was incredibly successful from a marketing and licensing standpoint, and their fans are pretty damn rabid.

How rabid? When the artwork and cover to TMNT #1 came up for sale it sold for $250,000.

That seems to cover the bases, no?

To merely compare the tv shows strikes me as an oversimplification of a more complex issue. The differences between the two are at least as great as the similarities. To say the shows are both popular is too simple a comparison and much simpler than you stated in your post. I enjoy both tmnt and wd but for very different reasons. I agree that you can make some valid comparisons between the two, but a complete analysis would also need to account for the differences, which are significant. I should have expounded in my post to make clear, comparing the success of the two television shows is not a valid gauge. The original turtles tv show is not in the same league with wd.

The original turtles tv show is not in the same league with wd.
Agreed. In 20 years nobody will be watching Walking Dead on their computers
Yes, we'll be living it... (thumbs u

:o

Or not living it... :devil:

the way the walking dead is being marketed, and the rabid fanbase, you can't compare it to any other comic series in history.

I think it's a perfect example. TMNT started as a comic with a limited following and mushroomed into something that had a 10+ year run on television, several motion pictures, several million dollars in licensing sales, and finally a sale for more than $60 million to Nickelodeon.

That's a comic series that was incredibly successful from a marketing and licensing standpoint, and their fans are pretty damn rabid.

How rabid? When the artwork and cover to TMNT #1 came up for sale it sold for $250,000.

To merely compare the tv shows strikes me as an oversimplification of a more complex issue. The differences between the two are at least as great as the similarities. To say the shows are both popular is too simple a comparison and much simpler than you stated in your post. I enjoy both tmnt and wd but for very different reasons. I agree that you can make some valid comparisons between the two, but a complete analysis would also need to account for the differences, which are significant. I should have expounded in my post to make clear, comparing the success of the two television shows is not a valid gauge. The original turtles tv show is not in the same league with wd.

Not sure... what you're... saying here.... but...

How is it an oversimplification? The bottom line is... the bottom line. They started out as small press independent comics, and became huge cash cows. Doesn't matter how anyone or everyone VIEWS the similarities or the differences between the two shows... the TMNT TV show RAKED IN HUGE PROFITS.

And you're right about one thing:

Correct. TMNT is in a much BIGGER league. It did after all have, what was it 3 LIVE ACTION MOVIES?

A Walking Dead TV show? That's peanuts compared to getting a green light to make a HOLLYWOOD MOVIE. At this point Eastman still doesn't need to return a call to Kirkman if he doesn't want.

Puh-leeze. Walking Dead is in the infant stage of success compared to the SALES JUGGERNAUT that was TMNT. 27 years after practically hand printing the first issue, Nickelodeon still saw it as a viable commodity worth 60 million dollars,

Some of you get caught up in the hype of some of this stuff way too easy and either don't pay attention to or aren't old enough to remember the history.

Agreed. In 20 years nobody will be watching Walking Dead on their computers

Those Cannon's in your sig line are awesome!

Thanks! #2 just arrived today, now I can finally finish reading them ;)

Not sure... what you're... saying here.... but...

How is it an oversimplification? The bottom line is... the bottom line. They started out as small press independent comics, and became huge cash cows. Doesn't matter how anyone or everyone VIEWS the similarities or the differences between the two shows... the TMNT TV show RAKED IN HUGE PROFITS.

And you're right about one thing:

Correct. TMNT is in a much BIGGER league. It did after all have, what was it 3 LIVE ACTION MOVIES?

A Walking Dead TV show? That's peanuts compared to getting a green light to make a HOLLYWOOD MOVIE. At this point Eastman still doesn't need to return a call to Kirkman if he doesn't want.

Puh-leeze. Walking Dead is in the infant stage of success compared to the SALES JUGGERNAUT that was TMNT. 27 years after practically hand printing the first issue, Nickelodeon still saw it as a viable commodity worth 60 million dollars,

Some of you get caught up in the hype of some of this stuff way too easy and either don't pay attention to or aren't old enough to remember the history.

Typing on my I-phone, I didn't have the patience to fully expound on my statement. I see that I came off as patronizing and condescending. dupont2005, I am sorry for that.

My point was that to compare the TV shows alone was too simplistic. To fully analyze the two phenomena one would need to look at the franchises as a whole. Compare and contrast the similarities and the differences. I was on the band wagon of the TMNT craze. Shows, comics and movies. However, from my experience, the TMNT TV show was clearly marketed to kids and was a smaller piece of the total. (unless I missed something the first TMNT TV show was the 1/2 hour cartoon show) The total of the TMNT franchise is obviously larger and more successful than WD at this point. My point is exactly as you stated, the TMNT franchise was much larger than the show. WD has not yet and may never have the marketing success that turtles did. However, if you take the two, cut out everything except the initial TV series, WD is much better. That is why the comparison of the TV shows is too simplistic a criterion to grade the two. It does not give an accurate picture of the whole. I did not intent to offend anyone, I like reading everyone's posts. I think this is a fun forum, but in the future, I will wait to post until I can fully explain my point of view. No more quick posts on the I-phone. :sorry:

The series is set to end at 200 issues.

Where did you hear this? Can anyone confirm or is this just an opinion? I've never heard Kirkman speak of an endpoint at all.

It's like JJ stated, Kirkman plans to write the WD till is during days.

For a superfluous thread, this turned into a great discussion.

That sounds a lot like the dog who poops on my lawn congratulating himself for how green the grass is. lol

I see WD lasting however many issues Kirkman is around the write it. It's a fun story from his perspective - he can do anything he wants to and there is already another generation of characters to take up the fight if/when Rick dies.

The Walking Dead Compendium is easily the most borrowed and loved GN I own - I think I've bought 5-7 for other people too. WD is an entry point for hundreds of thousands of people back into comics - long live the Walking Dead, if only for the good of the industry.