• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby's best '70s DC series?

63 posts in this topic

If you like Kirby's BA work (and I do!), and wanted to read his best, most representative DC title, which would you chose?

Up until last year, I owned them all, even though I hadn't read them since the mid '80s. I vaguely recall which ones I liked the best and why, but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say before I go on a (re-)buying spree.

Thanks!

I'll take the obvious road and say New Gods. I've been re-reading them and diggin' it.

The Glory Boat, Terrible Turpin...just good stuff.

I'd probably give the nod to this as well for those mentioned, and of course for "The Pact."

Sometimes overlooked is his first DC effort in the 1970s: Jimmy Olsen. That initial run of #133-138 is jam-packed with ideas, many of which were mined for literally years of stories during the Byrne Superman reboot of the 1980s: Intergang, the Outsiders, the Wild Area, the Hairies, the Project, the DNAliens, the Evil Factory.

I think Demon and Kirby's run on Our Fighting Forces are underrated, but I enjoyed Kamandi the most. The first 3 Jimmy Olsen's are terrific, but by the time Don Rickles appeared on the cover the approach had lost it's way.

While not as popular as the as the hero titles, the Losers run in Our Fighting Forces was pretty great.

Kirby's war work is woefully underrated, and these were the last war stories he ever did. Gritty, no-nonsense and incredibly action packed.

Shep