• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exit cue - does it ever end ?

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals,

First of all, forgive me for not expressing myself clearly enough,

English is not my native language.

Now, I'm not sure if it's been discussed all that often, but was wondering -

did you guys consider stopping collecting at one point ?

Except for the obvious financial reasons, which usually makes us ditch our

favorite addiction in a sorrowful, bitter way - did you consider a certain piece

and/or collection highlight which could serve as your "exit point" ?

In the past few months, I manged to add to my collection pretty much all the

remaining pieces I was hoping to get (some I've never dreamed of getting).

The very last piece I'd bought (still hasn't arrived), had brought me full circle back

to the first oneI had in my collection (the pieces are related).

Since I can no longer afford adding new stuff without selling some big favorites,

I thought this last piece could serve as my personal "exit cue", a nice "bookend"

of sorts, without a (too) painful leave.

I guess if I manage to keep out, I'd also be able to prove myself that I can beat

this "addiction"... obviously, it's still early to know if I managed to keep out, or if I'd

be pulled back in in no time, but I hope I'd be able to stick by my "retirement" and

enjoy OA from the sidelines...

Soo, what could be your personal "exit cue" ?

Best,

Gal

My CAF: http://qurls.com?i=869

A few years ago I made a decision to sell-off a big chunk of my collection. My priorities in life had changed and I wanted to plough something back into my family and pursue the house move that my wife and daughter always wanted.

Over the course of just over a year I sold quite a lot of artwork I held dear, but made enough money to buy the right house in the right area - so all my plans came to fruition and the lifestyle change has more than compensated for the loss of cherished items.

Not everything I offered for sale sold and I was fortunate to retain lots of favorite pieces.

Since the house move, I've even drifted back into collecting artwork (though in a reduced capacity), as I've been fortunate enough to locate a good source of childhood favorites at affordable prices.

I can look at my (reduced) CAF galleries and feel a sense of pride.

And every time I lament the loss of what I used to have, I take comfort in my surroundings and my family's happiness.

Sounds like it turned out for the best, Terry... I'm glad to hear that.

My personal collection couldn't help me THAT much if I'd had to

sell most of it, but I guess that if I just STOP buying, it'd help somewhat...:)

I also, don't plan to leave OA completely, just to sit on the sidelines for a while...)

hopefully, a good while).

did you consider a certain piece

and/or collection highlight which could serve as your "exit point" ?

I a nice "bookend" of sorts,

Best,

Gal

My CAF: http://qurls.com?i=869

I found my bookend piece years ago, I just keep sliding it over and putting more pieces inside of it. lol

Heh, I'm with Chris, although I won't put it as eloquently as him.

I've enjoyed so many comics that there will always be something out there that I would be glad to add to my collection.

Malvin

I actually really down-shifted my purchases for several reason.

1. Price of the stuff I want is just so high, I have trouble justifying having so much money in a piece of original artwork. This is in spite of the fact that I have more disposable income than ever.

2. I started asking myself why I wanted the stuff. I am now in a house that has wall space that allows me to hang stuff (which I have started to do), but it just isn't a high priority.

3. Started thinking about other things I could do with the money I have tied up in comics and OA.

It has been over two years since I purchased anything (I have made a few bids on stuff, but not really gone after then in a serious way). I just picked up my 1st purchase in over two years which I really like and didn't pay a ton for. I have taken a similar hiatus from buying comics (although I did buy one GA book recently). The most surprising thing for me is the money I use to spend on comics and OA has been going into a separate account and looking at how much money I have built up. :o So for me, its not so much exit, but take a break.

This is a valid topic, and a variant of that is of course the whole "You Can't Take It With You" scenario around mortality.

The question then becomes, do you have heirs who can appreciate the art or even know what to do with it (hopefully not be so oblivious to discount them as cute pretty cartoon drawings and throw 'em away or donate them) or do you have an exit plan to consider your art (or comic) collection sort of your "401k" and sell off the collection to either finance your future or quite frankly, not trusting others, knowing you're the only one who knows what you paid and what it's worth and selling 'em off personally for those facts.

Part of me thinks, as art fans, it would be nice to see the collection handed down to or sold off to another fan, not necessarily an heir or friend, but just re-introducing the pieces to the hobby so another fan can enjoy 'em.

I know a lot of lonely bachelor-for-life art collectors who have nobody to leave their art to, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. I'd imagine, as I think I've seen with a few Heritage Auctions, family members may hand off collections to auction houses to lquidate and convert the pieces to cash in a fair market environment to maximize profit potential (sans the commissions, but also sans the headache as well).

I think it's a natural evolution for some to re-prioritize aspects of their lives as well interests fade. Some want a single great piece and are willing to trade or sell their good pieces to afford the one centerpiece they strive to own. Others simply either lose interest or get burned out and then look at the stack of paper and want to liquidate it into cash.

I think you're right about the addition of collectors. For many, it's more the "thrill of the chase" and the "adventure of the hunt" than the acual ownership and acquisition. There's a lot of horders in the hobby, and not in a negative way, more in a compulsive and competitive way.

I think it's great to see pieces exchange hands, and re-enter the market since mortality keeps us all from eternal ownership.

I dont think anybody ever stops. I think they just slow back or sell off some. but collections are a living thing. I think the change due to how their collector changes. I myself. I said that I would stop collecting after I got a stephen king signed darktower and an autograph from alan moore and one piece of art from each sandman mystery theatre artist. That was finished in febuary. But I still see somethings that I pick up. I just buy less and I have sold off a bunch to pay for my wedding recently.

What a great Topic!

I personaly started collecting non "Sketch cover" OA a year ago. I made a list of 25 Artist/series/Stories I wanted to own a Peice from. I now have upped the list to 30 of which I own 5 pieces. In a few year, once I have an example of everthing on my list I will probably move toward upgrading what I have.

By 1997, after 17 years of reading and collecting comics, I considered my back issue collection complete. I started collecting art the following year. In 2004 I had a string of, shall we say, "bad collecting experiences" that filled me with such frustration that I sold my entire collection. Highlights included the covers to Animal Man #5, Sandman #4 and Miracleman #18, a gorgeous all-Totleben Swamp Thing spread and Watchmen #1 page 7. I walked away cold turkey. I unsubscribed from the mailing lists and deleted my bookmarks. I continued to read my favorite titles and discovered new favorites, but I averted my eyes from this particular corner of comic fandom.

But apparently I'm not that strong. I was bitten by the bug again at HeroesCon in 2008. At first, I thought I might be satisfied with collecting sketches and commissions, but it quickly evolved into a full-on quest to rebuild my original collection. It's been difficult with today's prices, but I'm being more selective this time around...and patient.

As a self-admitted collector of things, I'm not foolish enough to believe any one piece could satiate my compulsion to research, collect and catalog. Lather, rinse, repeat. It never stops.

The topic got a bit more somber than I intended it to be...

I was also hoping to see a few examples of what would you consider

as your final (ultimate ?) piece, which you could quit OA collecting after

reaching it.

Any guys out there that actually got their final/ultimate piece and managed

to bow out after it ?

reaching it.

to bow out after it ?

I reached a point (prior to my aforementioned sell-off) where I'd pretty much nailed all my major aims - concluding that if I never added another piece to my (then) collection, I'd be more than happy with what I had.

Although my collection has now been reduced, I'm still very proud of what remains - which still include quite a few grail-like items.

Although, nowadays, I no longer have too much inclination to pursue high-ticket items, there are still lots of affordable pieces out there to keep me active.

I guess the answer, from my perspective, is that I still enjoy the hobby.

I also buy music CDs. If music is good for the ears, artwork's good for the eyes - so why stop indulging in something that gives you pleasure?

I need to have passionate interests to make life worth living.

reaching it.

to bow out after it ?

For me, if I were to obtain the original cover artwork to Detective 590 (it's in my signature line), I think I could stop buying quite happy. I just love that cover. For me it represent everything about Batman. He is in a powerful pose, the image is dark, and it has that goth looking background. Sure they are other things I would like to have, but obtaining that piece would make me feel as though my collection was complete.

I realize that this thread likely only represents a small sample of OA buying public but it sounds like some people are either glad to be buying less, glad to have quit, glad to have sold off their once prized pieces to buy house related stuff, glad to have purchased enough to satiate very specific related needs and can now happily quit, or have simply grown tired of it for whatever reason... What a depressing thread... lol.

The OA world is unique in that (unfortunate?) sense that it has this Gollum "must be all mine" type component to it. However, unlike Gollum, it seems like many people eventually achieve some measure of insight into their behavior and don't like who they've become e.g., reckless spending habits, obsessiveness, chest pumping their pieces, and goodness knows what else.

I think we all know OA is ridiculously overpriced. We also all know that it's only a question of time before most prices plummet as only a far far smaller portion of our kids' generation would ever consider spending even a fraction of what we do on artwork. So what does this all mean?

Heck, if I know. Like many of you, I just love looking at the stuff because it takes me back and it's so beautiful, at least to me. I'm just thankful I never spent enough to be turned off as a growing number of fans appear to have become.

Gal

There isn't one page that if I acquired I would stop oa collecting. As I contine collecting my scope changes and expands. I have been starting collecting more golden age art and wanting examples by a variety of artists,nfrazetta, Finlay, apart etc. Collecting exposes me to more artists so that leads to include those artists.

I noticed I haven't directly posted my personal "final" piece in this thread...

I've posted it when I'd bought it some time ago, but here it is again -

the "bookend" piece of my collection:

http://qurls.com?i=51031

I call it "bookend piece", because it's not the "end all"/"ultimate" piece

in my collection (I have a few other which might fit the bill), I even have more

iconic pieces from the same artist. it's just that this piece was the one I've

been searching for ever since I started collecting OA.

Finding it (and it's companion poster art), felt like I've completed this journey.

At first, I've used the term "full circle", but I hope I didn't end up at square one...:)

I don't know how long I can stay "out", maybe someday sooner or later I'll start

another journey (or trip, to be exact)...

Best,

Gal

I dont think anybody ever stops. I think they just slow back or sell off some. but collections are a living thing. I think the change due to how their collector changes.

Eh good you said it for me. Id like to add the collecting only truly ends when you are dead :preach:

reaching it.

to bow out after it ?

I reached a point (prior to my aforementioned sell-off) where I'd pretty much nailed all my major aims - concluding that if I never added another piece to my (then) collection, I'd be more than happy with what I had.

Although my collection has now been reduced, I'm still very proud of what remains - which still include quite a few grail-like items.

Although, nowadays, I no longer have too much inclination to pursue high-ticket items, there are still lots of affordable pieces out there to keep me active.

I guess the answer, from my perspective, is that I still enjoy the hobby.

I also buy music CDs. If music is good for the ears, artwork's good for the eyes - so why stop indulging in something that gives you pleasure?

I need to have passionate interests to make life worth living.

I view art and music very similiarly. I'll never find a song/album/band I like so much that I'll never need to listen to any other. There are songs/albums/bands I come back to time and again because I enjoy them very much, but I'll never stop looking for that new one I haven't found yet.

Art is the same way. There isn't one piece out there that so embodies everything I love about art that I'd stop collecting. I could possibly stop searching for a certain artists work if I think know I have found my favorite piece of theirs. Problem is, for 99.9% of the artists I like I haven't been able to determine what my favorite piece is :insane: