• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, one Bats Rocky Mountain Pedigree bites the dust......

41 posts in this topic

Not a very good start to my weekend. Sorry, but my ftp is at it's MAX limit.

Smashed Detective Comics #443 RM

Just got this from Heritage today. The book was well wrapped in bubble wrap and housed in two shipping boxes which looked to be in fairly good shape. This was not an auction item so I suspect this is how they got it in from the seller before sending it off to me. I'm really more disappointed than mad, but someone should have inspected this book a little more closer before sending it to me.

What's really disheartening is that the condition of the book is no where near the condition of what I'd expect of a 9.2. More like an 8.0 (or lower). Also, based on the side edges, this is NOT a book with white pages either.

Anyway, I emailed them pics and hopefully they'll respond back soon. What a shame.

Are you saying that the CGC given grade was inaccurate (in your opinion), or that the book was actually damaged after being encapsulated?

From the pics you provided, it is not clear that the book was damaged from the slab breakage. It actually looks like the book should not have been damaged by that broken slab. Although it easily could have been.

Short version of my question: Is the book now, as presented to CGC (in your opinion)?

Yes. There's a pretty bad spine roll on the book. There's also a lot of corner wear on the binding side as well as a bad scratch towards the bottom of the FC. On the back cover, there are some very noticabe edge creases towards the top. I REALLY don't think this was the book that was originally in the slab. The slab is cracked enough that you can easily slip the book out without damage. I can't believe how brazen this looks and nobody at HA noticed.

Instead of starting this thread you should have called for graders notes. I find it unlikely the book is switched.

Instead of starting this thread you should have called for graders notes. I find it unlikely the book is switched.

It does seem unlikely with Heritage's reputation which I believe is pretty

good just from reading many threads on these boards. I've never purchased

a book from them.

I see Brian's point and the slab damage is on the other side of the spine

and I can see the back cover flaws that I don't believe would happen if the

slab itself was damaged.

Getting the graders notes might not be a bad idea, but I would wait for

Heritage's response to this sad situation. I always hear how the Rocky

Mountain Pedigree is so fresh with outstanding pages and it seems hard

to explain the PQ.

Good Luck hopefully getting this sorted out Brian. :wishluck:

Tough for me to say for sure from your pics, but this looks like the Rocky Mountain. If you want, send me a front on scan and I will compare it to our scan when the book was first offered. I am on the road right now, but I might be able to post our scan later for comparison. Looks to me like it just for cracked in shipping.

-Douglas

I thought calling for graders notes was discontinued. Am I wrong?

No. To my knowledge getting the three 'pre-grades' is no longer provided. Of course, I never ask for that when I call. I had no problem getting the notes for both my ASM 129 and soon to own TOS 52.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Tough for me to say for sure from your pics, but this looks like the Rocky Mountain. If you want, send me a front on scan and I will compare it to our scan when the book was first offered. I am on the road right now, but I might be able to post our scan later for comparison. Looks to me like it just for cracked in shipping.

-Douglas

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner that is usable with slabs (blurry), but if you have access to the original scan, I would really appreciate it if you can post it or email it to me. At least this will let me know it's still the same book.

When my order was accepted, the scan was immediately taken off the site (this was not an auction item). I tried emailing CSR weeks ago to get a scan (just for my records) before I even got the book, but they were of no help.

Now all this happened on Friday after I got home so I'll give them a few days to respond.

Much appreciated with the scan. I looked it over last night. It's the same book. I don't believe the damage to the slab caused any major issues with the book itself.

It's just a badly graded book to start with I guess. The spine roll is not really a spine roll per say. It looks like something has been sitting on the book for some time and "impressed" a line in the book. Also the lower, left part of the book shows a crused corner and damage that could not have been caused by the slab. A heavy break in the binding and also surface scuff going across and then tailing downward. There are some nice attributes with the book, but not enough to warrant a 9.2 in my opinion.

I highlighted the areas I'm referring too.

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/Jarhead/detective443.jpg

(you'll need to copy/paste the URL into your browser)

In any case, the grade is not the issue here so I guess I'll just have to wait until Heritage responds back.

In any case, the grade is not the issue here so I guess I'll just have to wait until Heritage responds back.

Just an FYI, about a month or so ago I received a book from Heritage from the Sunday weekly auctions that had an issue with the slab itself. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that

they would NOT do anything about the slab. They feel the value, what you are buying, is in the book and not in the slab. At the time, I asked to speak to Steve Borock and was in a connection limbo of some sort = they probably just put me on hold and left. Never got Steve's VM or anything so I just gave up. I'm still kind of angry about this.

Just an FYI, about a month or so ago I received a book from Heritage from the Sunday weekly auctions that had an issue with the slab itself. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that

they would NOT do anything about the slab. They feel the value, what you are buying, is in the book and not in the slab. At the time, I asked to speak to Steve Borock and was in a connection limbo of some sort = they probably just put me on hold and left. Never got Steve's VM or anything so I just gave up. I'm still kind of angry about this.

Thats pretty crappy customer service!

I can see their point but not many people i know like having a cracked slab displaying their purchase. While cracked slabs dont bother me TOO MUCH, they almost always have to lead to reholdering fees, shipping fees and the time spent dealing with it. While the value IS in the book, a cracked slab is kind of a big deal and if not noted in the auction, SHOULD be handled by the seller imo rantrant