• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheapest Mile Highs?

16 posts in this topic

A buddy of mine was telling me that sometime this year he wants to buy his first Mile High, and doesn't care what title it is, as long as it's a slabbed 9.4 that says "Edgar Church" on it...

He's a bit of an odd duck, but after talking to him for a while about the stuff he collects it got me wondering. And maybe considering such a purchase myself...

What's the cheapest someone could expect to get a slabbed 9.4 Mile High, if they didn't care at all about the title and issue?

What about a 9.6?

Jay Parrino's site has a 9.6 for $600, and a 9.8 of a reasonable title for $2K... so I would assume there are options cheaper than that...

Thanks in advance

'House

Lighthouse,

Good question which I can't answer but I'm intrigued to see what the response will be. Are you looking to buy just one so you can say you own a Church item or are looking to buy a few? I own only one pedigree, an early FF issue from the Pacific Coast Collection and after hearing from Capt Tripps about how great the quaility of most of the Pac Coast comics are I'm glad I own it.

Lighthouse,

Good question which I can't answer but I'm intrigued to see what the response will be. Are you looking to buy just one so you can say you own a Church item or are looking to buy a few? I own only one pedigree, an early FF issue from the Pacific Coast Collection and after hearing from Capt Tripps about how great the quaility of most of the Pac Coast comics are I'm glad I own it.

He's only looking to buy one... I would probably just buy one for now... but who knows what the future might bring...

I turned down the opportunity to buy some random funny animal Mile High for $100 that was probably a borderline 9.4-9.6 about three years ago. I honestly don't even remember the title, but I kinda wish I had picked it up... I think at the time it guided around $35 in Overstreet...

As with most other important questions in life, you can get the

answers at GPAnalysis.

Last month, the cheapest sale of a Church copy was $89.88.

In what grade?

I was specifically looking for info on 9.4 and 9.6 Mile Highs...

Cheapest 9.4 Church books are usually in 300-400$ range. If you get lucky sometimes even lower.

There are much more cheap comics if you accept 9.0 books and often they still look amazing. Check heritage auction database.

I think I remember seeing some random mile highs on comiclink a while back, I think for 400-600 in 9.4 range. Just do a search and type in mile high under sellers comments. You could try placing a low bid. confused-smiley-013.gif

The cheapest MH's which I ever bought were some of the later Targets such as Vol 6 - #1, #4, #9, #10. Picked them up for about $100 each back when they were guiding for only $35. Amazingly beautiful white page books pictured in the Gerber which would most likely grade out at 9.4 to 9.6 without much problem.

Reminds me of an earlier MH which was relatively cheap....Funny Picture Stories #7 for $450 which would probably grade out in the 9.2 to 9.4 range if memory serves me correctly.

Best bet is to go for later non-superhero books still priced quite cheaply in guide if you are looking for cheap MH's. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Geppi's the high bidder on that book, so it probably won't go cheap. And doesn't that look more like a "D" copy than a mile high? I'm not an expert, but that looks like no 'D' I've ever seen on a mile high. They're more fluid.

Geppi's the high bidder on that book, so it probably won't go cheap. And doesn't that look more like a "D" copy than a mile high? I'm not an expert, but that looks like no 'D' I've ever seen on a mile high. They're more fluid.

I agree. Looks like a "D" to me. Here's my National #67, which is from the "D Collection":

national_67d.jpg

The D's look like they are from the same hand to me. Maybe contact the buyer and find out if there is an alpha-numeric code written on the top of the first page. Isn't this telling for "D" books?

It's not a D Copy. I've owned those, and I know what they are like. I bought the Binky 14 directly from Gary Carter who was selling it on behalf of his father or brother. They bought their Mile Highs from Chuck early on, and they picked up a lot of the esoteric DCs (like the Binky 14). They are highly respected in our hobby and I sincerely doubt that they would rip me off by selling a D Copy advertised as an Edgar Church/Mile High. Also, the "D" Code is the most common on the DCs.