• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Groo the Wanderer Artist's Edition by Sergio! Pre-order now!

22 posts in this topic

I like Groo. I probably own half the main series in rough shape from rereading them so much over the

years. The other half I probably gave away to kids or sold when they actually had some value back

in the day.

I do not own any original art from Groo.

But this whole artist's edition just strikes me as a poor man's original art collectible. Sorta like

those albums of drawings that used to come out "back in the day" when I was actively collecting.

So here we have a reprint story.. wagers of the gods.. with color copied original art that Sergio never

seems to sell yet a select few people do own some pages if you search around with google... and that,

well, annoys me, as I would rather save that 100 dollars for purchasing a nice page some day.

After all, it is groo, there are a ton of pages to be released one day, and eh.. 150 bucks should snag

one ;-)

I will pass. I would be much happier if those 4 book's pages went up for auction. That would be coool.

I like Groo. I probably own half the main series in rough shape from rereading them so much over the

years. The other half I probably gave away to kids or sold when they actually had some value back

in the day.

But this whole artist's edition just strikes me as a poor man's original art collectible. Sorta like

those albums of drawings that used to come out "back in the day" when I was actively collecting.

So here we have a reprint story.. wagers of the gods.. with color copied original art that Sergio never

seems to sell yet a select few people do own some pages if you search around with google... and that,

well, annoys me, as I would rather save that 100 dollars for purchasing a nice page some day.

After all, it is groo, there are a ton of pages to be released one day, and eh.. 150 bucks should snag

one ;-)

I will pass. I would be much happier if those 4 book's pages went up for auction. That would be coool.

Life is such a b i t c h, aint it?

Scott

There is certainly nothing wrong with going after the "real" original art, but I don't agree with your expectation that you will be able to get a nice published apge for $100 some day (as much as I want to believe it so I can buy one too)

Malvin

There is certainly nothing wrong with going after the "real" original art, but I don't agree with your expectation that you will be able to get a nice published apge for $100 some day (as much as I want to believe it so I can buy one too)

Malvin

The high prices we see today, in my opinion, are directly related to Sergio holding onto the sheer

majority of his artwork. If he decides to start selling it all one day the prices we see today would

come tumbling down due to the massive amount of pages he has drawn. It is not like other comics

where artists come and go. We are talking 100+ issues of Sergio Groo art just sitting in a closet in

his office (i guess). And I also think that the possible pool of buyers for such material is a drop in

the bucket compared to other material we see discussed here.

The man is 75 years old. Someone is going to inherit that art or it will go up for auction before he passes

away so he can decide what happens to it. Whoever inherits it will probably want the money. Lets

face it.. this is hardly museum material but I am sure a college would accept it. But why not sell it

for cash like most people would?

So my whole premise is that the complete body of work of Sergio will one day soon be on the

market and with that much material a low end page will hardly fetch 800 dollars. I could easily see

the least desirable pages trading for 150 dollars once the cycle of comic art/books slows down...

which the hobby always seems to do.

Some MAD material, unless a primo page, goes for short money which means even though Sergio

drew it the demand is very low.

And as an example, which there are very few, I grabbed this from ha.com. 775 bought this page

in 2007. A full 2 page splash which in my mind is desirable. Not the best but surely a higher

quality page then most. If this went for 775 in 2007 a low end page would be about 150 bucks.

I also think most original art is seriously over priced and will come down some day for most

material.

124431.jpeg.6f4b16da0f7771fd81e9d71d38b81ffc.jpeg

in the day.

one ;-)

Life is such a b i t c h, aint it?

Scott

n o t a t a l l. i d o n o t r e q u i r e a f i x t o e n j o y a h o b b y a n d i c a n w a i t u n t i l a p a g e m e e t s m y p r i c e e x p e c t a t i o n s o r j u s t g o w i t h o u t. p r e t t y s i m p l e r e a l l y.

Not Museum quality? Are you nuts? Unless I am mistaken, a good portion of Sergio's art will go to museums. I think you also underestimate the rabid interest in his art from some very major collectors. I can pretty confidently say they won't be a flood of art at bargain prices when he passes away. Sergio and those around him know better. The man is a master. I for one am quite excited to see this book coming out.

Sergio actually is selling his Groo material. He has been selling some of his newer material for about $500 a page at conventions. You can also buy from an art dealer in Europe for about the same price.

Just this year he has started selling his Epic/Marvel run but you have to buy a complete issue including cover. I believe the price is $12,000

I own a few of his pages and if they ever went for $100, I would be grabbing all that I could find.

Sergio actually is selling his Groo material. He has been selling some of his newer material for about $500 a page at conventions. You can also buy from an art dealer in Europe for about the same price.

Just this year he has started selling his Epic/Marvel run but you have to buy a complete issue including cover. I believe the price is $12,000

I own a few of his pages and if they ever went for $100, I would be grabbing all that I could find.

Holy Cow - where have you been hanging out, Paul?? :hi:

I saw at Sergio's table last year at SDCC and he did have Groo OA for sale and someone was buying a nice page while I was in line for his autograph. I don't remember the prices for the pages exactly but I do know it was pretty hefty and not something like under $300-400 dollars but more...that's why I was unable to buy one =-(

Scott, is there a release date for the Artist's Edition of Will Eisner's The Spirit?

I preordered it to an english shop (cheaper postage to Spain) but there's no date posted there. I'm eager to hold it in my hands and enjoy the art. I had the pleasure to see some OA in an exhibition, and they are breathtaking!

Scott, is there a release date for the Artist's Edition of Will Eisner's The Spirit?

I preordered it to an english shop (cheaper postage to Spain) but there's no date posted there. I'm eager to hold it in my hands and enjoy the art. I had the pleasure to see some OA in an exhibition, and they are breathtaking!

Hi Ferran,

The Spirit book is obviously running late—sorry. I do think it will be worth the wait. Updates to come, thanks for your patience.

Best,

Scott