• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

178 posts in this topic

Aurora hobby (model) kits from the 60s:

Godzilla's Go Cart; issued by TOHO productions for a very short time.

1969 Frightening Lightning Glow kits (6 of them issued for 5 to 6 months).

Still cello sealed, of course, command premium prices.

124658.jpg.11c9a9700dd8f73f717cfcfb367e1eb9.jpg

It's not the most expensive pistol in the world, but it's in the top ten and is probably more desirable than the others in it's class.

million_dollar_luger.jpg

Weighing in at one million plus: one of two original Lugers in .45acp that was turned over to the US Army in 1907 for testing (and ultimately losing out to the venerable Colt 1911 for the contract). Serial #1 is believed to have been destroyed after intensive testing, while serial #2 was spared the beating. No other Lugers were produced using the American cartridge .45acp cartridge.

Someone really into Baseball cards let me know if I'm full of it.

I know the Wagner is the highest value card - just one of them though. The condition of the "Gretsky" Wagner is beyond compare. Corrrect me if I'm wrong, but there are far less Babe Ruth rookie cards out there. The issue is condition though. The Ruth's are in far worse condition than the existing Wagner(s).

I know the Wagner was pulled from circulation. That doesn't mean that a high Ruth rookie of equal condition as the Gretsky would bring less money though. I suspect a Ruth in the same condition as the Gretsky Wagner would bring much much more.

Flame On!

The problem with Babe Ruth is that his rookie card is so obscure and rare (10 known examples that exists), it actually hurts the value. That said, I'd take this over the Wagner card any day.

ruthrookie.jpg

In rock and gem collecting, here is one of the holy grails:

The superb 10-cm rhodochrosite crystal on matrix pictured here, known as “The Alma Queen,” is among the most famous specimens in all of mineralogy. It is the best specimen recovered from a pocket found in 1965 by John Soules and Warren Good. The exceptionally large, rich red-colored crystals perched on a crystallized matrix of quartz and tetrahedrite combine to create a level of sculptural composition and aesthetic beauty that make this one of the world’s truly great mineral specimens. Since its discovery, it has attained legendary status as a “Mona Lisa” of the mineral world – it is widely regarded as the finest example of rhodochrosite known – and among knowledgeable collectors and connoisseurs, it is considered to be the finest mineral specimen of any kind ever found.

almaqueen.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Red Kriptonite...!!![/font]

:ohnoez:

Looks like the Double Telescoping Vader is the Action #1 of Star Wars Action Figures

DTVader.jpg

really??? Does that beat out carded Anakin Skywalker POTF-85???

I've been out of toy collecting for awhile, and that was the grail when I was in.

hm

I thought the Jawa Figure was #1

Looks like a recent Anakin sold for $1800, while a Double Telescoping Luke (more common than Darth or Obi-Wan) sold for $3600.

you may be right on the Jawa Vinyl though.. recent sales go from $3300 to $5k depending on condition!

I know the Vinyl Jawa sufferes from the fear of counterfeit problem (at least the uncarded ones...)

A conservative estimate on an MOC DT Vader would bring in the neighbourhood of $15K-$20K. Much higher if it were a graded example exceeding the score of 85.

Comparatively, an MOC DT Kenobi would bring conservatively in the neighbourhood of $20-$25K. I haven't checked the census, but based on how rare and frail the telescoping sabers are for this figure, I don't think it would be possible for a graded example to meet or exceed the 85 grade, so if one did, sky's the limit.

For VC Jawa's, an MOC in 85 can be had in the conservative range of $5-$8K. Because these are not in the same rarity category as the DT Vader or Ben, some collectors would hold out for unpunched, unstickered, better presenting examples and they are out there.

That said, if any MOC foreign example like a Meccano or Toltoys VC Jawa were ever to appear on the market, it would most certainly meet or exceed any of the top values for production toys.

This photo below shows a Mecanno VC Jawa - rumour has it that it's legit, although to my knowledge, it hasn't ever been publicly documented or verified:

SW_V_88_.JPG

As true as all this is, I'd still say that a prototype rocket firing Boba Fett is the ABSOLUTE grail for the general populace of Star Wars collectors. Close to 100 examples exist, so they are attainable and are noted even outside of the hobby, just as an Honus Wagner card, upside down stamp or butcher cover are.

Jim

i can't decide if the action #1 of non-sport cards would be horror's of war or g-men and heroes of the law set's

This is tough.

I'd be comfortable saying the AF15 of non-sports cards would be the first card in the Mars Attacks set, The Invasion Begins.

Alot of non-sports collectors chase autograph cardss these days, especially movie and T.V. show actors.

There's a signed Patrick McGoohan card from a Prisoner tv show non-sports set that's pretty tough.

[quote=cgcworld

As true as all this is, I'd still say that a prototype rocket firing Boba Fett is the ABSOLUTE grail for the general populace of Star Wars collectors. Close to 100 examples exist, so they are attainable and are noted even outside of the hobby, just as an Honus Wagner card, upside down stamp or butcher cover are.

Jim

wow didnt realize how many examples exist of this! I'll gladly cede the point, cause rocket firing boba is cooler than a vader!

For records, it would have to be Robert Johnson's 'Love in Vain' 78rpm.

78_robert_johnson_10FULL.jpg

In fact anything by Johnson would be comparable, as survival rates were very low and some individuals with very deep pockets chase them. The Beatles Butcher cover is more like a marvel silver age key.

TITLE / DATE /ESTIMATED # OF SURVIVING DISCS

Terraplane Blues /1937/ 30 to 50 known copies

32-20 Blues /1937/ 8 to 12 known copies

Dust My Broom /1937/ 10 to 15 known copies

Crossroads Blues /1937/ 10 to 15 known copies

Come On In My Kitchen /1937/ 15 to 20 copies

Sweet Home Chicago /1937/ 20 to 25 copies

Hell Hound On My Trail /1937/ 10 to 12 copies

Milkcow's Calf Blues /1937/ 10 to 15 copies

Stones In My Passway /1937/ 15 to 20 copies

Stop Breakin' Down /1938/ 15 to 20

Me And The Devil /1938/ 10 to 15

Love In Vain /1938/ SIX TO TEN......

**courtesy GOOD ROCKIN' TONIGHT AUCTIONS

I stopped paying attention to video games as collectibles a few years back, but at the time the Nintendo World Championships Gold cartridge would probably have been the Action equivalent.

There were some damn rare Neo Geo carts that would have been up there as well, such as Kizuna Encounter.

Edit - I guess that's what I get for taking forever to type my post.

Personally I think the hobby is too young to have a consensus "action 1" and besides its apples and oranges anyways. A good number of things have sold for more than what a gold nwc is worth and all are arguably better choices. To a loose cartridge collector it might be the action 1, but loose cartridges are not where growth is generally happening anyways a few exceptions aside. Also complicating the issue is that its not a commercial release but rather a contest promo.

I stopped paying attention to video games as collectibles a few years back, but at the time the Nintendo World Championships Gold cartridge would probably have been the Action equivalent.

There were some damn rare Neo Geo carts that would have been up there as well, such as Kizuna Encounter.

Edit - I guess that's what I get for taking forever to type my post.

Personally I think the hobby is too young to have a consensus "action 1" and besides its apples and oranges anyways. A good number of things have sold for more than what a gold nwc is worth and all are arguably better choices. To a loose cartridge collector it might be the action 1, but loose cartridges are not where growth is generally happening anyways a few exceptions aside. Also complicating the issue is that its not a commercial release but rather a contest promo.

250px-Stadium_Events_NES_box.jpg

:whistle:

lol stop posting my property!

That's one example of something that's sold for more than nwc money (on three separate occasions) but as I said I honestly believe there is no real #1 right now among knowledgeable collectors. There's a good number of items that would all be worth good money if and when available.

For sabermetrically oriented baseball fans, the 1977 Bill James Baseball Abstract. :cloud9:

7977b2699f.jpg

75 (or so) printed. I have a "first" reprint and would pay a lot for an original. There was one on AbeBooks about three years ago that sold in about 20 minutes.

Classic muscle Cars; all Shelby's? Vintage Ferraris?

I think it's too collector/era-specific. '57 Chevy Bel-air is valuable grail for the era. So are '32 3-window coupes, '41 Willys, '50 Mercury, so forth. Just depends on if you're into traditional hotrods, gassers, musclecars or even the Eurotrash stuff like Ferarris and Yugos.

My personal musclecar grail? 1970 Superbird. 1500 made, street-legal 200mph car, changed NASCAR forever and inspiring avid ricers to buy non-functioning spoliers. $100-$150k makes it a grail for sure.

plymouth-superbird-1970a.jpg

(thumbs u , great car! Every time he gets the chance, my Dad tells me the same story of a married couple somewhere in Akron (where we lived in the early 70s) that had a his and hers pair of Super Birds, one white and one green. I always wonder what happened to those cars.

on the topic of American Muscle cars, I think in terms of $, this is top dog right now, 1970 Hemi 'Cuda convertible... 14 built, sold poorly (buyers thought why buy a Hemi in a convertible?), price over 7 figures... .

1970-hemi-cuda-convertible.jpg

outside of muscle cars, this right now is probably the current king of vintage racing cars - 1957 Ferrari 250 TR, the prototype Testa Rossa ("red head", named for its red valve coverings), racing pedigree at Le Mans, Sebring and elsewhere. What a beautiful car...

the_1957_ferrari_250_testa_rossa_aslhj.jpg

sold in 2011 for $16.4M

Anyone care to weight in on the Holy Grail Lunchboxes or Hot Wheels?

Hot wheels has always been the rear loading Beach Bomb

You are confusing this with your high school nickname on the Jersey Shore.