• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

178 posts in this topic

Classic muscle Cars; all Shelby's? Vintage Ferraris?

I think it's too collector/era-specific. '57 Chevy Bel-air is valuable grail for the era. So are '32 3-window coupes, '41 Willys, '50 Mercury, so forth. Just depends on if you're into traditional hotrods, gassers, musclecars or even the Eurotrash stuff like Ferarris and Yugos.

My personal musclecar grail? 1970 Superbird. 1500 made, street-legal 200mph car, changed NASCAR forever and inspiring avid ricers to buy non-functioning spoliers. $100-$150k makes it a grail for sure.

plymouth-superbird-1970a.jpg

My dad use to fix up muscle cars and resell them and at one point owned a Superbird with a road runner logo on the fender.

Anytime he would try to talk to somone about the car they would say "Oh a Super B?" It was a great frustration for him.

I have a mag somewhere with a pic of him and the car way back when. He took it to a few car shows but mostly got weird looks due to the fender.

I think it's too collector/era-specific. '57 Chevy Bel-air is valuable grail for the era. So are '32 3-window coupes, '41 Willys, '50 Mercury, so forth. Just depends on if you're into traditional hotrods, gassers, musclecars or even the Eurotrash stuff like Ferarris and Yugos.

My personal musclecar grail? 1970 Superbird. 1500 made, street-legal 200mph car, changed NASCAR forever and inspiring avid ricers to buy non-functioning spoliers. $100-$150k makes it a grail for sure.

My dad use to fix up muscle cars and resell them and at one point owned a Superbird with a road runner logo on the fender.

Anytime he would try to talk to somone about the car they would say "Oh a Super B?" It was a great frustration for him.

I have a mag somewhere with a pic of him and the car way back when. He took it to a few car shows but mostly got weird looks due to the fender.

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Man, I drove 60 miles once when I moved to Denver for college just to *see* a 440 6-pack, 4-speed 1970 Sublime Green Superbird at a car lot.

I suppose your dad would get frustrated at that comment. That'd be like telling someone you have a Detective 27, and they say "Oh, isn't that the first appearance of Green Lantern?" :censored:

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Man, I drove 60 miles once when I moved to Denver for college just to *see* a 440 6-pack, 4-speed 1970 Sublime Green Superbird at a car lot.

I suppose your dad would get frustrated at that comment. That'd be like telling someone you have a Detective 27, and they say "Oh, isn't that the first appearance of Green Lantern?" :censored:

Sad thing is, after getting tired of being laughed out of carshows at the time he sold the super bird to buy a corvette to bring to car shows.

The reason he was in the mag was a letter he wrote about his regrets over selling the car, and how people should always buy what they love and not what's popular.

Looks like the Double Telescoping Vader is the Action #1 of Star Wars Action Figures

DTVader.jpg

really??? Does that beat out carded Anakin Skywalker POTF-85???

I've been out of toy collecting for awhile, and that was the grail when I was in.

hm

pretty sure the Boba Fett with firing rocket is the ^^

+1

Billy Beer is cheap and common, as it was produced in mass quantities. You could charge more for a bottle of wine with a twist cap.

My humor is obviously not appreciated here.

Billy Beer is cheap and common, as it was produced in mass quantities. You could charge more for a bottle of wine with a twist cap.

No, I just went off on a tangent because I was proud of myself for even knowing that. :)

It was on an episode of "Auctioneer"

In rock and gem collecting, here is one of the holy grails:

The superb 10-cm rhodochrosite crystal on matrix pictured here, known as “The Alma Queen,” is among the most famous specimens in all of mineralogy. It is the best specimen recovered from a pocket found in 1965 by John Soules and Warren Good. The exceptionally large, rich red-colored crystals perched on a crystallized matrix of quartz and tetrahedrite combine to create a level of sculptural composition and aesthetic beauty that make this one of the world’s truly great mineral specimens. Since its discovery, it has attained legendary status as a “Mona Lisa” of the mineral world – it is widely regarded as the finest example of rhodochrosite known – and among knowledgeable collectors and connoisseurs, it is considered to be the finest mineral specimen of any kind ever found.

almaqueen.jpg

In rock and gem collecting, here is one of the holy grails:

The superb 10-cm rhodochrosite crystal on matrix pictured here, known as “The Alma Queen,” is among the most famous specimens in all of mineralogy. It is the best specimen recovered from a pocket found in 1965 by John Soules and Warren Good. The exceptionally large, rich red-colored crystals perched on a crystallized matrix of quartz and tetrahedrite combine to create a level of sculptural composition and aesthetic beauty that make this one of the world’s truly great mineral specimens. Since its discovery, it has attained legendary status as a “Mona Lisa” of the mineral world – it is widely regarded as the finest example of rhodochrosite known – and among knowledgeable collectors and connoisseurs, it is considered to be the finest mineral specimen of any kind ever found.

almaqueen.jpg

I don't collect minerals and even I appreciate that. It's gorgeous and I'd love of a geologist to talk about how that formation came about, and how long the process was.

Can a price be put on it?

I'll drink to that

some of us already are ;)

for Mego WGSH collectors I would say a MOC green goblin is the action 1 and a MOC Wonder woman is the tec 27...both are very close and maybe interchangable

I might be confused but my understanding is that the Action 1 of the comic hobby isn't Action 1 at all but rather a probably fake Batman sketch by Bob Kane on a stained piece of paper that maybe but actually doesn't have a -script for an old Bats issue on the back. If Comic Book Men taught me anything, and I believe it has, this is what every comic collector clamors for.