• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the Action Comics #1 of other hobbies?

178 posts in this topic

Magic Cards: Beta Black Lotus

isn't it alpha these days?

It does appear in ultra-high grades alpha does outpace beta...raw it seems they go for about the same.

Two 9.5's recently sold, one alpha (here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Lotus-ALPHA-GRADED-MTG-MAGIC-CARD-GEM-BGS-9-5-/300573056954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb8cdfba) and one beta for $15,000 less.

To think I sold about a dozen of these in 1997 because I was broke, and needed rent money. doh!

1954 Superman Lunch Box

1954-superman-lunchbox.jpg

Embarrassingly, I had a Gentle Ben lunch box through my elementary years :banana::preach:

I had a "Chuck Connors, The Rifleman" lunchbox growing up in the 60s. I'm not even sure if the show was still on the air, but I always thought it was a cool lunchbox.

1954 Superman Lunch Box

Embarrassingly, I had a Gentle Ben lunch box through my elementary years :banana::preach:

I had a "Chuck Connors, The Rifleman" lunchbox growing up in the 60s. I'm not even sure if the show was still on the air, but I always thought it was a cool lunchbox.

Was it the same pic as on the infamous comic cover? :wishluck:

No but the Thermos bottle was pink with a slightly oversized purple top.

I collect wooden "Indian exercise Club" items (yeah, I know, weird thing to collect).

Indian clubs were an exercise craze about 125 years ago and have nothing to do with American Indians.

Gus Hill was the greatest Club Swinging Champion of all time. I always thought a "holy grail" item in my hobby would be the giant championship medal he won in 1882.

One day I was on ebay and saw it. The seller didn't have a clue as to what it was.

Here's a pic of Gus Hill. In the middle of his shirt is the Medal. On the right is the real thing. Pretty cool.

btw... if you have any unique indian club items let me know. I'll buy them.

P1050733.jpg

1954 Superman Lunch Box

lol

THAT, would have been a GREAT graphic on that lunchbox!!!

For electric basses, the Bass of Doom , Jaco Pastorius'es 1962 Fender Jazz bass, frettless. Both a "one of a kind" and a grail.

124638.jpg

This may be a silly question, but why am I seeing frets?

Many frettless basses have the lines printed on them. It's hard to tell from the photo whether those are just lines or actual frets, but I think they look flat, not 3-dimensional like raised frets. I googled images of Jaco and all the photos showing him playing a bass with lines. He sometimes played a fretted bass too as the frettless is much more fragile and the wood gets beaten up by the strings hitting it (as opposed to rubbing on the frets.) I have a Fender "Signature" Jaco frettless bass with the lines printed on it.

The fret lines help hacks like me hit the correct note- great bassists don't need the lines.

I collect wooden "Indian exercise Club" items (yeah, I know, weird thing to collect).

Indian clubs were an exercise craze about 125 years ago and have nothing to do with American Indians.

Gus Hill was the greatest Club Swinging Champion of all time. I always thought a "holy grail" item in my hobby would be the giant championship medal he won in 1882.

One day I was on ebay and saw it. The seller didn't have a clue as to what it was.

Here's a pic of Gus Hill. In the middle of his shirt is the Medal. On the right is the real thing. Pretty cool.

btw... if you have any unique indian club items let me know. I'll buy them.

P1050733.jpg

You win the internets - congrats :applause:

Coins could be a few things... The 1913 Liberty Nickel comes to mind as does the rarest coin the 1933 Double Eagle. Only one 1933 Double Eagle is in private hands as it is the only example that is legal to be privately owned. The other existing examples are owned by the US Government and 2 examples are in the Smithsonian.

For electric basses, the Bass of Doom , Jaco Pastorius'es 1962 Fender Jazz bass, frettless. Both a "one of a kind" and a grail.

124638.jpg

The lines are there, but if you look closely, the frets aren't. There seems to be some inconsistencies in the story. Originally, Jaco claimed to have removed them, but later on he said he bought it that way.

The timeline from when the guitars were stolen to the time they were found, bought by Trujillo and the controversy about the guitar being returned to the family (see YouTube comments to get a flavour of it) reads like a Quentin Tarantino -script. Both bizarre and tragic.

Many frettless basses have the lines printed on them. It's hard to tell from the photo whether those are just lines or actual frets, but I think they look flat, not 3-dimensional like raised frets. I googled images of Jaco and all the photos showing him playing a bass with lines. He sometimes played a fretted bass too as the frettless is much more fragile and the wood gets beaten up by the strings hitting it (as opposed to rubbing on the frets.) I have a Fender "Signature" Jaco frettless bass with the lines printed on it.

The fret lines help hacks like me hit the correct note- great bassists don't need the lines.

Gotcha. That makes perfect sense as I look at the picture. Thanks for the reply.

The Kenner Blythe doll

I've never even heard of those before!

man they look weird!

The fetch crazy money, even cracked or broken. Ive seen them sell close to $3k for finer examples in the box. I guess kenner put them out for just one year and sales were so bad, they did away with them. Fast forward today and ofcourse everybody wants one. I have been on the hunt for one and such as yourself, nobody really ever heard of them, nor do they know they fetch insane money on ebay. I will always flip through a pile of dolls at a flea market or estate sale :wishluck:

Recent completed Ebay listing: Pay attention all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Blythe-Kenner-1972-Vintage-Doll-w-Box-MINT-/140727018402?pt=AU_Dolls&hash=item20c3fbe3a2

After looking at a couple of things that are out there...

The following are available on the collector market if you have the money:

The Declaration of Independence $8 Million

The US Constitution (One of the first public copies) $200,000

The Zapruder Copy of the JFK Assassination (The US Gov paid $16 Million)

I am still looking at stuff and will update later.