• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just wanted to share this quick story...

18 posts in this topic

Some of my graded CGC comics are on the wall in my 'comic room' and my daughter (who turns 10 in two days) comments and notices them from time to time.

Well, this evening as I was going through some raw books, she stopped in and was looking at the wall of comics.

She roughly knows what the grading scale is and so she asks if the 9.0 book (House of Mystery 174) is the highest one I have graded.

I tell her no... I then show her an example of a 9.8 (Modern) book.

Then she asks me which book is my favorite.

I tell her that my Action Comics 15 is my favorite but then explain that my newest acquisition... Wonderworld Comics 7, is a very close second.

She notices that they're both graded 3.0 and then notices all the other 3.0 books I have.

Well then she notices my Detective Comics 73 graded at 1.0 and says to me...

"Wow, that looks really good for being a 1.0!"

:whee:

At which point I tell her that it is but what makes it that grade is the quality of the interior pages and how paper deteriorates over time.

I think I told her that if you were to take that book out to read it, the pages would most likely flake away.

It was just an interesting conversation.

With a (soon to be) 10 year old girl... :cloud9:

:applause:

My daughter turns 10 in June. If I try to talk about comics with her, after about 10 seconds she cuts me off and says "NEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!!!!!" :sorry:

[font:Book Antiqua]And the worst part...

I have the feeling that some of those nice avenger books

are going to pay for a very expensive wedding...[/font]

;)

Cool story. Both my kids 7 and 14 collect comics like their Dad and each have a long box of their own. Both also have a 9.6 slab of a comic they liked. I love talking comics with my kids.

In fact, my son recently had a school teacher meeting and the teacher said he is a grade above in reading. She said that comics probably have something to do with it because my son is always reading his comics with me before bed (and books too). We read raw comics or on the iPad.. Made my day!

:applause:

My daughter turns 10 in June. If I try to talk about comics with her, after about 10 seconds she cuts me off and says "NEEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!!!!!" :sorry:

[font:Book Antiqua]And the worst part...

I have the feeling that some of those nice avenger books

are going to pay for a very expensive wedding...[/font]

;)

Wedding?!? NO, i've made it very clear that my daughter isnt allowed to date until i'm DEAD! :devil:

Thank god i have my 7 year old son who's WAY into comics and loves to talk about them and read my old beat up copies :cloud9:

Wedding?!? NO, i've made it very clear that my daughter isnt allowed to date until i'm DEAD! :devil:

:lol:

My daughter is turning 3 and I'm already ruminating on the various "Saw" like torture techniques to use on her future suitors.

My 10yr old daughter is my shipping partner. She runs to the PO with me almost every time. She likes to use the APC. She does the whole process by herself. She said shes ready for me to stay in the car so she can do it all by herself!

She likes to go with me because theres a Party Store across the street that sells hot food (Pizza slices, ribs, wings....etc) Sometimes we stop after and get her a small cup of Mac N Cheese!

Some of my graded CGC comics are on the wall in my 'comic room' and my daughter (who turns 10 in two days) comments and notices them from time to time.

Well, this evening as I was going through some raw books, she stopped in and was looking at the wall of comics.

She roughly knows what the grading scale is and so she asks if the 9.0 book (House of Mystery 174) is the highest one I have graded.

I tell her no... I then show her an example of a 9.8 (Modern) book.

Then she asks me which book is my favorite.

I tell her that my Action Comics 15 is my favorite but then explain that my newest acquisition... Wonderworld Comics 7, is a very close second.

She notices that they're both graded 3.0 and then notices all the other 3.0 books I have.

Well then she notices my Detective Comics 73 graded at 1.0 and says to me...

"Wow, that looks really good for being a 1.0!"

:whee:

At which point I tell her that it is but what makes it that grade is the quality of the interior pages and how paper deteriorates over time.

I think I told her that if you were to take that book out to read it, the pages would most likely flake away.

It was just an interesting conversation.

With a (soon to be) 10 year old girl... :cloud9:

A chip off the block (thumbs u

Cool story. :applause:

My daughter just turned 10 yesterday. I am going to take her and a friend to the C2E2 tomorrow as one of her presents. She's gone to the Wizard for the last couple years and started her collection of Tiny Titans and what ever catches her fancy. Now her and her friend are getting into anime.

She started grading with me about 6 months ago on small collection I aquired and then started grading on the "Can you spare a grade" forum with me.

I knew she was a little crazy :screwy: when she started saying she liked Oakman's grades better than mine.

It's great to share my love of comics with my only kid and drive my wife nuts.

But as I tell her. We have to enjoy while we can. :cloud9: