• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,889 posts in this topic

From Italy, Capitan America 77 .. or really West Coast Avengers 50-52. Its got a card-stock cover, with a couple of nasty bends in it (top-right and bot-left) so I probably wont CGC it (but then again, I just might) ..

CapitanAmerica77.jpg

@Kenners: With a little patience, I’m sure a better copy can be found.

Yes, those cardboard covers were not so good, although if well handled they vere very nice. By that time, however, I already stopped collecting in italian and went for the original editions. :)

Yes, those cardboard covers were not so good, although if well handled they vere very nice. By that time, however, I already stopped collecting in italian and went for the original editions. :)

Thanks for the info. The above only cost me €1 on eBay, so I'm not too dissatisfied :)

I love the Italian Editions because they actually hold up very well with light handling, whereas the flimsy magazines the UK put out bend and fold like crazy.

My Italian 298 is an easy 9.4.

The Spanish Forum books aren't bad as far as quality goes either.

From Italy, Capitan America 77 .. or really West Coast Avengers 50-52. Its got a card-stock cover, with a couple of nasty bends in it (top-right and bot-left) so I probably wont CGC it (but then again, I just might) ..

CapitanAmerica77.jpg

Cool. (thumbs u

Thanks for the info. The above only cost me €1 on eBay, so I'm not too dissatisfied :)

Said this, you’ve very likely paid more for shipping than for the book. lol

@Liaton: Corno editions have been the best, in terms of paper/binding/printing, etc. Unfortunately, being in the heyday of the Marvel age in Italy, translations were occasionally either full of mistakes or poor, with an alternation of the good with the bad. Star Comics edition were very good in terms of adaptation, translation, etc. but initially very poor graphically speaking (and with the cardboard covers). Marvel Italia picked up where Star Comics left, and since then translation have become often very accurate in their vocabulary, but culturally poor and done sometimes in a "stiff" italian, without the spontaneous quality dialogues should have, if you understand what I mean.

It’s ironic, since certain important runs or series of the past which are being reprinted get often a worse treatment than the modern material which qualitatively wouldn’t require such a care. :)

I paid €4 for shipping, so I don't think I did too badly for €5 overall, with shipping from Italy :baiting:

I paid €4 for shipping, so I don't think I did too badly for €5 overall, with shipping from Italy :baiting:

Surely not, I was just saying in these cases shipping costs have an enormous weight on the final price. When I purchase from the US, I try always to add books or something to combine shipping. :)

I have posted these in the Centaurs thread (in Golden Age). They are possibly the very first editions of american comic books. Digest sized, ugly, 8 pages (yes, eight) and came out very likely slightly after the war. Full explanation in the Centaur thread, here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5983056#Post5983056

1945_No_006_640px.jpg

1945_No_007_640px.jpg58130.jpg

1945_No_008_640px.jpg

1945_No_015_640px.jpg