• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

I've got this coming from Barbarian, he found it in a comic shop in Portugal. It's a complete (almost) bound run of Ebal Wrightson & Wein Swamp Thing. It's missing #7 but it's just too cool to pass up, especially since it's bound with a green cover. :headbang:

th_Swampcapa-1.jpgth_swampback.jpgth_Swamp13.jpgth_Swamp12.jpgth_Swamp11.jpgth_Swamp10.jpgth_Swamp9.jpgth_Swamp8.jpgth_Swamp6.jpgth_Swamp5.jpgth_Swamp4.jpgth_Swamp3.jpgth_Swamp2.jpgth_Swamp1.jpg

Quite a find I must say! :applause: Pretty amazing! God Tim, the color pop is really somthing..... I bet being bound helped keep the page quality so nice.... hm

Does anyone know of any chinese marvel or dc comics? Non-Anime/Manga please.

Are you ready to have your mind blown? hm

peep this!

SecretWar8_chinese.jpg

SecretWar8_chinese_insidepages.jpg

unfortuantley this secret wars 8 is a fan translation? (shrug) A damn good one though from what I can tell!

I do know there is a miller daredevil chinese trade that I saw somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot remember where? hm

peep this!

SecretWar8_chinese.jpg

unfortuantley this secret wars 8 is a fan translation? (shrug) A damn good one though from what I can tell!

I do know there is a miller daredevil chinese trade that I saw somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot remember where? hm

just what i'm looking for, except i want real stuff... cool though. Not really interested in trades...

peep this!

SecretWar8_chinese.jpg

Unfortunately this secret wars 8 is a fan translation? (shrug) A damn good one though from what I can tell!

just what i'm looking for, except i want real stuff... cool though. Not really interested in trades...

Your not alone! lol You and just about every other foreign hunter that thinks the Asian written characters are supercool. Speaking of cool looking written languages! hm We have seen Japanese stuff, Russian stuff, Thai stuff...... but the Chinese market seems like a tough nut to crack! lol Remember also that the Chinese markets are pretty highly regulated and anything American culture related has to go thru the Chinese censors.... At least on the mainland! Hong Kong and Taiwan are probably where we might find the majority of American stuff licensed or not.

The trade comment is an interesting thing as well.... I respect your desires for comic only trust me! But, let me comment on that..... I used to think that I didn't want foreign "trades" either, but in some countries the trade is the book. But then again what is a trade? A combo of previously published single issues? Well in some foreign countries they packaged a lot of our stuff together... are those trades? Yes, you could say so, but what if that is the first time that specific American licensed material made its debut in foreign country X?

Much of the Italian stuff could be considered trades.... they packaged Iron man together with ghost rider etc. etc.

My position evolved on this issue, not trying to discourage you from your position..... just something to think about. hm

The search continues, but as of yet.... no printed Chinese material besides that Daredevil I saw... (shrug)

Edited by Define999

These just came in today.

th_AmazingSpiderMan14Mexico.jpgth_StrangeTalesAnnual2Mexico.jpg

Great! Gotta love La Prensa anything! one thing I have noticed with the early La Prensa's. They seem to be much wider than the American book. You can even tell in the art? hm I wonder what the story is on this? Maybe the Mexican press width was unchangeably different...... cuz you would think they would want to save money with the shorter width?

We need to get feelers out into Mexico to see if anyone could possible answer some of our questions about the printing and licensing process? :gossip:

Chespirito would know...but I'm also have these comics...La Prensa it was one of the best along with Novaro in those years...in all "HispanoAmerica"(all Spanish languaje America)

Ill hit him up! (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

Just bought this over in Dave's sales thread... I'm a Green Lantern fan so this looked like a fun book.

And I figured this was a good place to ask, can anyone tell me what this is?

5IffG.jpg

I get that its an Italian translation, but does anyone know more?

This is a Batman from Italy's Williams editions. Cool book, I am sure Vaillant has more information about it.

On a side note, am I the only one who belive this thread should be a sticky?

thanks that helps... it led me to this nugget on the internet:

"Milan-based Williams briefly reprinted a bunch of DCs comics (mainly Superman and Batman) in the early 70's. They never touched Marvel books, and just lived through three years. Another Milan-based publisher replaced them as DC Italian licensee in 1976."

Just bought this over in Dave's sales thread... I'm a Green Lantern fan so this looked like a fun book.

And I figured this was a good place to ask, can anyone tell me what this is?

5IffG.jpg

I get that its an Italian translation, but does anyone know more?

Cool Italian Battie...I just bought the Tec 423 Williams edition...Nuova serie #16

once in a while some ocassional sellers appears here in my beautiful city...and we are(the collectors) ready to catch them !!! sometimes we are lucky, some times not... :whee:

but the most i get it from mexican sellers... :gossip:

I've been dealing with a seller in Mexico City that has books this nice but for the most part anything I see offered for sale is low to mid-grade at best. You seem to do pretty well finding higher grade books. (thumbs u

All great books guys! Those russian disney's are quite interesting as well....... Yea Marmat, LSC had an idea of petitioning the forum masters for a whole foreign section. I don't know if they would go for it, but it seems like this thread is constantly moving.... hm