• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
19 19

4,891 posts in this topic

Ok guys.... this is my first run-in with Russian comics...... Probably for alot of us, looks like the Books are Russian language variants of the Star Wars, New hope, Dark Horse series.... very cool! And I like the way the Russian language looks, kinda reminds me of the Cyrillic of Greek or something....

Russian_Star_Wars_newhope1-1.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_inside1-1.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_inside-1.jpg

A comparasen

SW_russian_american_compare.jpg

:o I find these pretty cool... I have 4 total.....

Could there be a Russian Spawn? Or a Marvel series with Spidey keys? The neat thing about these is... they are comics! Not trades.... gives us hope theres more out there.... (thumbs u

EDIT: The other three.....

Russian_Star_Wars_vader.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_chwey.jpg

Russian_Star_Wars_Luke.jpg

I guess one of the things I really like is the way the Russian character set seems to look alien or somthing out of the Star Wars Universe itself..... very interesting... hm

Edited by Define999

Why is it that "variant" has to get attached to everything? I didn't see a single variant in the images. Surely you are not implying that all of the foreign language book were printed at the same printer as a part of the same print run? If you are not they are not variants. I know "edition" isn't cool or anything like that and it doesn't bring dollar signs to the the eyes, but that is what these books really are they are foreign language editions of American books.

Can we please get rules for what is and isn't a variant ... or better yet just admit that every damn book is a variant? Or are you going to tell me now that all books are identical.

Other than that it was a neat article.

:shrug: The use of the word "variant" is used very loosely. Yes, some of these WERE printed at the same time as the US editions (Canadian and UK) but you are correct, others are reprints. Therefore, they are "editions". But really, I don't think it's that big a deal.

Besides, the word "variant" can apply here. It is a very similar item with some variations, therefore, a "variant". (thumbs u

Why is it that "variant" has to get attached to everything? I didn't see a single variant in the images. Surely you are not implying that all of the foreign language book were printed at the same printer as a part of the same print run? If you are not they are not variants. I know "edition" isn't cool or anything like that and it doesn't bring dollar signs to the the eyes, but that is what these books really are they are foreign language editions of American books.

Can we please get rules for what is and isn't a variant ... or better yet just admit that every damn book is a variant? Or are you going to tell me now that all books are identical.

In no particular order:

1) If you look through this thread you'll see that dollar signs are and what books can be resold for is one of the furthest things on the mind of anyone who regularly posts in it.

2) Variant, variation, edition all mean the same thing. The choice of words is semantic.

3) As stated some of these were printed at the same time as the originals (like pence copies) or at a later date ranging anywhere from weeks to years. Either way they're all different versions of US books.

4) If you didn't see a variant, clearly you didn't look closely at the Superamigos with the altered Adams art. Not only was the artwork changed but the book was printed in a digest size format. If that doesn't constitute a variant I don't know what does.

Could there be a Russian Spawn? Or a Marvel series with Spidey keys? The neat thing about these is... they are comics! Not trades.... gives us hope theres more out there....

I'm from Russia, and I can assure you that russian version of Spawn doesn't exist in print. Spider-Man is published here, but only the Ultimate one. No ASM keys or something like that.

Yes, you are correct… (thumbs u Liam is also correct in that we use the term loosely. The official term should be if we are going to be absolutely correct “foreign language edition, first printing” but yea….. its boring! Trust me calling them foreign variants as a classification is more about a cooler/sexy sounding name than anything else. Also, Trust me no one is making huge money on foreigns whatever the few collectors that tread in these waters call them. Also just like I stated in my article, the traditional idea of 1st edition/variant/reprint doesn’t fully take into account a foreign books exposure. It could be considered black and white. But I have always tended to think in greys…… hm

Now you could say I am splitting hairs here but the traditional classifications make sense in the American point of view. The idea that any story or artwork printed after the first exposure of a comic are reprints. And the way we add a value equation to that makes sense…… But again like I stated in my article, for many foreign countries pre-internet their first exposure to these stories were their countries first printing of said stories. Now I will admit that some foreign hunters tend to call any book even if it is a countries later printing of the book “variant”. But still….. I am perfectly willing to call all reprints variants… like you said they all are if you think about it. The collecting culture decided on reprint though, and along with the reprint classification a negative connotation is associated with it. This is the culture that was created and has been agreed upon by the general comic book collecting community. (shrug)

Funny little thing though….. the subculture of foreign book collecting in comparison to the traditional way of collecting is relatively new. That means that the early adopters can lay some of that cultural groundwork. And in this early culture no one feels the need to get that crazy with our classifications…. I tend to think in greys, so it doesn’t bother me. That doesn’t mean it cannot change. In fact I have started to tend to call them simply “foreigns”…. As more collectors get involved maybe people will start calling them “foreign language edition, first printing”? But I wont, I also will not call them reprints…. For whatever reason I don’t feel traditional comic book culture’s classification of 1st edition/variant/reprint and the associated value equation doesn’t give foreign books a complete justice. :gossip:

Now my justifications to why I call them foreign variants are not meant to change your mind or change anyone’s mind, they are just a window into my mode of thinking when I wrote the article however flawed I realize. I appreciate your views and thanks for checking out my article! (thumbs u

Edited by Define999

Could there be a Russian Spawn? Or a Marvel series with Spidey keys? The neat thing about these is... they are comics! Not trades.... gives us hope theres more out there....

I'm from Russia, and I can assure you that russian version of Spawn doesn't exist in print. Spider-Man is published here, but only the Ultimate one. No ASM keys or something like that.

You sir are going to be bombarded with PM questions. lol

You sir are going to be bombarded with PM questions. lol

Ahhhh man! No Russian Spawn! :sorry:

No other later spidey keys like a 300 either uh? doh!

Thanks for letting us know! (thumbs u Could you shed some light on the Russian comics scene and any American stuff that could possibly exist over there? What about those Russian Star Wars I dug up? What was th first Star Wars stuff to make it to Russia? Thanks in advance!!!! (thumbs u

:( :( :(

Thanks for letting us know! (thumbs u Could you shed some light on the Russian comics scene and any American stuff that could possibly exist over there? What about those Russian Star Wars I dug up? What was th first Star Wars stuff to make it to Russia? Thanks in advance!!!! (thumbs u

No problem.

Comic industry here is not developed at all. We have some publishers who translate Marvel Ultimate titles, classic stuff (like Sin City, Sandman and Watchmen) and publishes them in the form of single issues or TPBs. But other than that you won't find anything here. Most comic book collectors like me prefer to buy the original editions of books over the internet, rather than wait for some publisher to finally print them.

Oh and a few months ago a new publisher appeared, which is called Bubble. Each month it publishes original stories about russian superheroes they created: Demon Fighter (Бесобой), Major Thunder (Майор Гром), Inok (Инок) and Red Fury (Красная Фурия). This is their site - http://bubble.ru/.

As for Star Wars, I never really got into reading SW comic books, so I'm not familiar with the subject. And I've never even seen the ones you found god knows where :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

No problem.

Comic industry here is not developed at all. We have some publishers who translate Marvel Ultimate titles, classic stuff (like Sin City, Sandman and Watchmen) and publishes them in the form of single issues or TPBs. But other than that you won't find anything here. Most comic book collectors like me prefer to buy the original editions of books over the internet, rather than wait for some publisher to finally print them.

Oh and a few months ago a new publisher appeared, which is called Bubble. Each month it publishes original stories about russian superheroes they created: Demon Fighter (Бесобой), Major Thunder (Майор Гром), Inok (Инок) and Red Fury (Красная Фурия). This is their site - http://bubble.ru/.

As for Star Wars, I never really got into reading SW comic books, so I'm not familiar with the subject. And I've never even seen the ones you found god knows where :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Man those Russian books look like they have pretty darn good art! How are the stories? hm

Sucks they dont have more Marvel/DC stuff... :sorry:

So you have never seen the Russian Star wars stuff uh.... interesting... hm

I am fascinated by Enoch:

in_n02_01_original.jpg

How can I purchase the first issues?

Also, do you think it is related to the biblical patriarch or the name is just a coincidence? Looks really good, it’s also the one with the best artwork.

Pardon me the pun, but… who needs Marvel, Now? lol

Got these in today. I already had #9 & 11 so I just need three more to finish the set.

th_Warlock1Canada.jpgth_Warlock2Canada.jpgth_Warlock3Canada.jpgth_Warlock4Canada.jpg

th_Warlock6Canada.jpgth_Warlock8Canada.jpgth_Warlock12Canada.jpg

Here’s what’s inside each one of the Warlock Edition Héritage series

#1 Cover = Marvel Premiere #1

#1 Inside = Marvel Premiere #1 and The Man Who Made a Wish! From Mystic #7

#2 Cover = Marvel Premiere #2

#2 Inside = Marvel Premiere #2 and The Face in the Mirror from Mystery Tales #6

#3 Cover = Warlock #3

#3 Inside = Warlock #3 and Pamela's Dolls from Ghostly Haunts #29

#4 Cover = Warlock #4

#4 Inside = Warlock #4 and The Shark! From Men’s Adventures #25

#5 Cover = Warlock #5

#5 Inside = Warlock #5 and I Walked on the Moon from men’s Adventures #26

#6 Cover = Warlock #6

#6 Inside = Warlock #6 and ["He's walkin' right into it..."] from Black Rider #23

#7 Cover = Warlock #7

#7 Inside = Warlock #7 and A Man Who Was Here! From Ghostly Haunts #24

#8 Cover = Warlock #8

#8 Inside = Warlock #8 and Mystery in Mustang Mesa from Two Gun Kid #42 and also I Was Face-to-Face with the Forbidden Robot! From Tales to Astonish #11

#9 Cover = Warlock #9

#9 Inside = Warlock #9 and Killer At Large! From Chamber of Chill #20 (Marvel) and The Great Wall of China and Alamut - The Eagle's Nest from Flash Gordon #11

#10 Cover = Warlock #10

#10 Inside = Warlock #10 and The Hidden Graveyard from Uncanny Tales #23 and The Toy Soldiers from Tales to Astonish #39

#11 Cover = Warlock #11

#11 Inside = Warlock #11 and The Voices! From Mystery Tales #33 and The Man Who Can't be Stopped from Mystical Tales #7

#12 Cover = Warlock #12

#12 Inside = Warlock #12 and The House of Shadows! Featuring Dr. Strange from Strange Tales #120

The #1, #2, #13, #14 and #15 had never been translated by Heritage