• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E(p) to M(p), is that normal?

13 posts in this topic

This book sold on Ebay a few years ago:

Sup1label.jpg

Superman1CGC85.jpg

The same book (see white spot in upper left) was resold on heritage last year:

SupermanCGC85MP.jpg

Is it normal, on a re-grade, for a book's restoration status to be adjusted? Judging by the notes on the original label ("heavy color touch" and "spine re-built") I assume this was an early grade by CGC. I know that early Universal grades are often upgraded, but this seems extreme. Anyone with more experience care to comment?

Cf. the new resto grading system proposed by classics inc. on their website. Worth looking into imho.

It is a known case that many a moderate book has been shuffed into the Ext category. Ext is an extremely broad category according to Matt Nelson. On the other hand Mod is a quite narrow category. Not much wiggle room between sligth & Ext. As a consequence expect a cgc modification to move regraded Ext books into Mod territory (thumbs u

I would imagine the difference between Moderate and Extensive is subjective in the same way the difference between White and Off-White to White pages is subjective (as is the grade now that I think about it).

So the same book on a resub could very easily receive different opinions.

I guess.

I would imagine the difference between Moderate and Extensive is subjective in the same way the difference between White and Off-White to White pages is subjective (as is the grade now that I think about it).

So the same book on a resub could very easily receive different opinions.

I guess.

What he said . . .

I guess :grin:

225 viewed this. A mere 6 replied. The boardies (i.e. dealers) on here are obviously reluctant to discuss this issue lol

( :gossip: Which tells me there are perhaps $$$$$$ to be made on this)

The more obvious likelihood is that people are interested in how it happened but don't have any light to shed on the subject. This is hardly a widespread occurrence.

Dough procedure:

(i) identify a "slight"-extensive (i.e. borderline mod.) cool book

(ii) buy it

(iii) resub

(iv) cross your fingers and pray it comes back mod.

(v) flip

(vi) $$$$$$$$$

Bijoubaby and robojo streamline it even further by leaving out step (iii) and replacing (iv) with "crack open and list as raw unrestored."

Seems to work like a charm.

Dough procedure:

(i) identify a "slight"-extensive (i.e. borderline mod.) cool book

(ii) buy it

(iii) resub

(iv) cross your fingers and pray it comes back mod.

(v) flip

(vi) $$$$$$$$$

Bijoubaby and robojo streamline it even further by leaving out step (iii) and replacing (iv) with "crack open and list as raw unrestored."

Seems to work like a charm.

:roflmao: not quite the same thing on the ethics scale!