• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experience with Comic Pressing

122 posts in this topic

which 100 moderns are these? are they worth getting slabbed in the first place?

Most of these will be building out my collection, not for flipping. They include:

Fables 1 (2 NM copies)

Saga 1 RRP (13 copies)

YLTM 1 (2 NM+ copies)

100 Bullets (3 NM copies)

Invincible 1

I also have six full sets of YTLM & Fables, but will be pulling out the best copies to try and build a 9.8 set of each. These are obviously not for value reasons but for my collection only.

Most of these will be building out my collection, not for flipping. They include:

Fables 1 (2 NM copies)

Saga 1 RRP (13 copies)

YLTM 1 (2 NM+ copies)

Invincible 1

I also have six full sets of YTLM & Fables, but will be pulling out the best copies to try and build a 9.8 set of each. These are obviously not for value reasons but for my collection only.

There's only 2 good reasons to slab a book: the resto check and if you're selling it. The rest is a waste of money.

IMHO.

There's only 2 good reasons to slab a book: the resto check and if you're selling it. The rest is a waste of money.

IMHO.

Yeah, but my hobbies aren't about making money. I have plenty of other areas in my life to make money. This is just a way I spend it.

As for your opinion on my decision to make a complete 9.8+ set of YTLM and Fables... I am so saddened that you don't approve. I will completely reexamine my life priorities now that you have shown me the error of my ways. Thank you. I mean that from the very pit of my colon. :)

Seth

IMHO.

Yeah, but my hobbies aren't about making money. I have plenty of other areas in my life to make money. This is just a way I spend it.

As for your opinion on my decision to make a complete 9.8+ set of YTLM and Fables... I am so saddened that you don't approve. I will completely reexamine my life priorities now that you have shown me the error of my ways. Thank you. I mean that from the very pit of my colon. :)

Seth

lol

IMHO.

Seth

Well then, press away and get your nut. The dude next door probably has a better set 'tho...

Dan

Well then, press away and get your nut. The dude next door probably has a better set 'tho...

Dan

You're probably right. Most people have unslabbed 10.0 sets of YTLM just lying around the garage.

This stuff sounds like restoration all over again.

For most all collectibles, the closer something is to being in the condition that it was in when it came off the assembly line, the more it's worth.

Shouldn't a book look like it was just stapled?

From my coin collecting experience, I knew that some day, the mania over restoring books would come back to haunt the industry. You shouldn't be able to pay money to someone to profitably increase the value of a collectible unless that item is missing pieces or something.

I'm 100% certain that....in the future...pressed books will be considered less desireable than unpressed books, and will perhaps even have a significantly lower value.

I'm offering up my two cents in the spirit of helpfulness.

WC

From my coin collecting experience, I knew that some day, the mania over restoring books would come back to haunt the industry. You shouldn't be able to pay money to someone to profitably increase the value of a collectible unless that item is missing pieces or something.

I'm 100% certain that....in the future...pressed books will be considered less desireable than unpressed books, and will perhaps even have a significantly lower value.

This is like unleashing a cat into a cage full of pit bulls. :eek:lol

This stuff sounds like restoration all over again.

For most all collectibles, the closer something is to being in the condition that it was in when it came off the assembly line, the more it's worth.

Shouldn't a book look like it was just stapled?

I'm offering up my two cents in the spirit of helpfulness.

WC

What makes you 100% certain? How can you possibly be 100% sure? and unless it is disclosed, how can you tell if a book is pressed?

Ugh pressing. Something that I have tried to avoid and never done. If you have nice books why press them?

I have never understood why a book becomes more valuable just because someone ran an iron over it. It is still the same book. It seems ridiculous to pay more for books that have had that service.

Fables 1 (2 NM copies)

Saga 1 RRP (13 copies)

YLTM 1 (2 NM+ copies)

Invincible 1

(thumbs u press and slab away

Ugh pressing. Something that I have tried to avoid and never done. If you have nice books why press them?

I have never understood why a book becomes more valuable just because someone ran an iron over it. It is still the same book. It seems ridiculous to pay more for books that have had that service.

I hate to state the obvious but there's a little more involved than that :screwy: and it becomes more valuable because of the number on the top of the CGC case. people prefer 9.8's over 9.6's...

IMHO.

Go for it, there's no law against wasting money.

As for your opinion on my decision to make a complete 9.8+ set of YTLM and Fables... I am so saddened that you don't approve. I will completely reexamine my life priorities now that you have shown me the error of my ways.

That's sad and ironic because it's true, you should. You're the one asking for advice here :screwy:

Sometimes a book's demand is diminshed because it was pressed.

Not because the demand for the book itself is lessened due to any stigma of the process, but because the group of people that are looking for books to buy, press and re-sell would no longer have interest. If all of the profit has already been squeezed out, the book really only interests the end--user collector.

Fables 1 (2 NM copies)

Saga 1 RRP (13 copies)

YLTM 1 (2 NM+ copies)

Invincible 1

(thumbs u press and slab away

Agreed!!!

Well....not thrilled to see the pressing going on. BUT don't let other people tell you what you can and can not slab. Except for Saga (no idea what that is) those other books would look great in a slab. (thumbs u

Pressing doesn't bother me. Im a collector first and I feel if I have a pressable book. Why not press it and maximize the value of your collection. If you don't then someone else will in the future. I've only had 4 books pressed in my collection. When I get married and have to pay for the wedding I will disclose it. I think that's fair enough.