• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experience with Comic Pressing

122 posts in this topic

Long ago I read of a colection stored in a basement in near mint condition because the books had been stacked on top of each other pressing them flat ?

So old colections in amazing flat condition are restored ?

Seems silly to not have the best book you can with out altering it dose it not ?

This is storage, not pressing. When books are pressed professionaly, a combination of heat, moisture and pressure are used to "remove" non color breaking creases ect...

Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I consider pressing restoration or not.

Long ago I read of a colection stored in a basement in near mint condition because the books had been stacked on top of each other pressing them flat ?

Seems silly to not have the best book you can with out altering it dose it not ?

This is storage, not pressing. When books are pressed professionaly, a combination of heat, moisture and pressure are used to "remove" non color breaking creases ect...

Personally, I haven't made up my mind if I consider pressing restoration or not.

darkside.jpg

OK, here's some responses. A kitten in a room full of pitbulls? Maybe, but I just try to stick to facts.

WC

I'll be a little more direct. This subject, and the points you make, have been debated ad infinitum here. Some of the most vitriolic arguments we've ever seen here have ensued, and friendships have been strained. Anyone around here longer than a year is probably pretty exhausted of/by the issue.

+1

Use the search function :makepoint:

Aren't newbies allowed to have a discussion about pressing? (shrug)

Not until they talk about legal-sized scanners first.

Or ask how to put a comic box together...

They don't because it was an accident. There was no 'intent' to restore them.

Moving forward, CGC should not only determine the condition of the comic, but the motive behind the condition as well.

OK, here's some responses. A kitten in a room full of pitbulls? Maybe, but I just try to stick to facts.

WC

I'll be a little more direct. This subject, and the points you make, have been debated ad infinitum here. Some of the most vitriolic arguments we've ever seen here have ensued, and friendships have been strained. Anyone around here longer than a year is probably pretty exhausted of/by the issue.

+1

Or which sized Mylars to use with what size comics . . .

:D

I never noticed this before.

Is this something fairly new?

c87f61f8.jpg

For PGX, possibly, although I don't generally pay much attention to their product.

CGC has been noting cover cleaning from day one, even if they don't mention the pressing that is nearly always in tandem with this form of (minor) resto.

WC

+1

Still getting the hang of that. We need a Mylar Forum. :insane:

They don't because it was an accident. There was no 'intent' to restore them.

Moving forward, CGC should not only determine the condition of the comic, but the motive behind the condition as well.

:signfunny:

WC

+1

I'm so glad I skipped the newbiest part of being new. I haven't even been on the bottom of a good dogpile. :(

:D

I never noticed this before.

Is this something fairly new?

c87f61f8.jpg

For PGX, possibly, although I don't generally pay much attention to their product.

CGC has been noting cover cleaning from day one, even if they don't mention the pressing that is nearly always in tandem with this form of (minor) resto.

I guess it's nothing new. Google helped me find this six year old thread.

PGX on notating pressing on the label..... (10/22/05)

Sorry about broaching a topic that has been discussed before. Yep, I'm a noob, but not new to collecting or chemistry. I understand that some of the greatest collections, and some of the best paper quality, was achieved by stacking books on top of each other. Stacking the books cuts the flow of oxygen and you also get the effect of a shared sacrificial anode. Heck, I have some pennies from 1995 that look as untarnished as the day they were minted because they are beneath layers of other pennies that suffered the effects of oxygen. I get that. It is one thing to leave a bunch of weight on a comicbook. It will smash out whatever is there. You can fix a spineroll, or make one worse. That might not be the condition of comics off a conveyor belt, but it could be the condition of comics strapped inside a bundle.

But that doesn't have much to do with the effects of heat and pressure applied to realign the molecules in the cover of a book. I don't know what the heat does to the internal chemistry of the books. Does it age the book by 10 years?

As far as laboratory reports are concerned, I'd have to see what was tested and how it was analyzed. In my day job, I send things to a lab all the time. Labs do not use Star Trek tricorders...they find what you are looking for (if we're talking chemical laboratories). If you are only introducing water and heat, then no new chemicals are introduced (except water), so you surely won't find anything new. But heat an oxygen in oxygenated water can accelerate a reaction that is already occuring (the breakdown of paper). If we're talkin about materials testing, an altogether different type of laboratory analysis, I'd like to see what was measured. Reflectivity? Paper Thickness? Microfractures?

WC

I have had one comic pressed. Not for resale purposes. I bought a copy of Fantasy Quarterly #1 online from Goodwill or something. It looked like a great copy and I got it dirt cheap. Of course they did a terrible job packaging it and it got the most annoying ding in it, a monster ding that actually effected my enjoyment of the comic. A nice boardie offered to press it for me for free. When I got it back the ding was still visible, but the comic was flat and in much better shape overall. I'm happy with my experience. Not sure if I would do it with a really high dollar comic though.

Sorry about broaching a topic that has been discussed before. Yep, I'm a noob, but not new to collecting or chemistry. I understand that some of the greatest collections, and some of the best paper quality, was achieved by stacking books on top of each other. Stacking the books cuts the flow of oxygen and you also get the effect of a shared sacrificial anode. Heck, I have some pennies from 1995 that look as untarnished as the day they were minted because they are beneath layers of other pennies that suffered the effects of oxygen. I get that. It is one thing to leave a bunch of weight on a comicbook. It will smash out whatever is there. You can fix a spineroll, or make one worse. That might not be the condition of comics off a conveyor belt, but it could be the condition of comics strapped inside a bundle.

But that doesn't have much to do with the effects of heat and pressure applied to realign the molecules in the cover of a book. I don't know what the heat does to the internal chemistry of the books. Does it age the book by 10 years?

As far as laboratory reports are concerned, I'd have to see what was tested and how it was analyzed. In my day job, I send things to a lab all the time. Labs do not use Star Trek tricorders...they find what you are looking for (if we're talking chemical laboratories). If you are only introducing water and heat, then no new chemicals are introduced (except water), so you surely won't find anything new. But heat an oxygen in oxygenated water can accelerate a reaction that is already occuring (the breakdown of paper). If we're talkin about materials testing, an altogether different type of laboratory analysis, I'd like to see what was measured. Reflectivity? Paper Thickness? Microfractures?

WC

and you also get the effect of a shared sacrificial anode

lol

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Rb of paper is way too high.