• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting discussion about exclusive deals

347 posts in this topic

That is because that is the way it was set up and that is the way it was sanctioned. CGC was very aware of this arrangement and that is why CGC allowed DWC to run the signing and required all submissions to go under the DWC account.
This pretty much says all that needed to be said. Anyone with a complaint at this point needs to take it up with CGC, specifically with Joe Pierson if I'm not mistaken.
I think we'd all welcome some feedback from CGC on this issue.

In fact, I did ask that question and it's gone unanswered for 2 weeks:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5627801#Post5627801

3) You keep referring to running the Stan public signings. Are you saying that, in absence of any CGC submissions, DWC staff are "running" the lines and signing for public signings at cons? If so, how is that impacted by any other facilitator submitting a book on their account? You're already there and committed to that overhead cost.

You acknowledge that DWC has an overhead cost, but don't think it is fair to allocate part of that cost to someone that is not helping out with the signing?

The overhead cost is why it costs DWC more. They pay Stan the exact same price for each signature as everyone else. Stan does not cut them a deal. So if you buy your own autograph ticket, go through the line, get your book signed and submit under your account, you haven't incurred that overhead that DWC has. And whether it's a direct cost of having to pay a DWC employee to help with the signing or an opportunity cost because Chandler or Sharon can't be getting other books signed while Stan is signing, there is a cost.

By that faulty logic, every person who buys a ticket and gets a raw book signed should have to kick some money to DWC. That "overhead cost" is still there whether 0 books go to CGC or 500.

You're right to say the overhead cost is there either way, whether 0 or 500 books go to CGC.

But DWC has a right to recover those overhead costs in a manner they think is feasible from a business perspective. If they think from their standpoint it makes more sense to recover it from the CGC SS end (or if Stan Lee's people want it that way), then that's how they will do it, provided all other CGC rules and regs are followed.

So they get to "wet their beak" on every submission not through them?

Don_fanucci_2_bigger.jpg

That is because that is the way it was set up and that is the way it was sanctioned. CGC was very aware of this arrangement and that is why CGC allowed DWC to run the signing and required all submissions to go under the DWC account.
This pretty much says all that needed to be said. Anyone with a complaint at this point needs to take it up with CGC, specifically with Joe Pierson if I'm not mistaken.
I think we'd all welcome some feedback from CGC on this issue.

In fact, I did ask that question and it's gone unanswered for 2 weeks:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5627801#Post5627801

It doesn't seem like they always respond to questions posted on the boards in a timely manner. You might have better luck if you call them.

No thanks. I'll take my answers in a public forum, thanks.

The SS program is one that requires an even higher level of trust than what it already built into the bargain between submitter and CGC. Therefore, I feel that they owe it to the consuming public to explain much, if not all, of the decisions and policies around the SS program. As it stands, if I want a Stan Lee SS book at a public signing, I have to go through DWC.

On the one hand, I have people telling me CGC has a no exclusives policy for public signing. On the other, I have people telling me you can't get Stan without paying DWC for the privilege of doing so.

If CGC wants to own that in public, let's hear it.

I have come to accept that the facilitators follow a business model and are running within the way CGC would like to represented. Hell its on their own public forum.

I undertand there are exceptions to the rules and obviously though from what has been unearthed here EXCLUSIVES do exist.

Stick em up everyone cause who loses in the end? The customers.

Choose wisely and wear a helmet folks.

I have no doubt that Mr. Pierson would have no problem posting his answer to your question here for everyone to see. I only suggested calling because he may be otherwise occupied and not aware of the question having been asked. I'd guess he doesn't have a lot of free time to spend perusing the boards.

He does have to spend a lot of time on the phone answering questions about people's comics that are lost, misplaced, damaged, submitted on the wrong tier and not fast-tracked.

He does have to spend a lot of time on the phone answering questions about people's comics that are lost, misplaced, damaged, submitted on the wrong tier and not fast-tracked.

:signfunny:

3) You keep referring to running the Stan public signings. Are you saying that, in absence of any CGC submissions, DWC staff are "running" the lines and signing for public signings at cons? If so, how is that impacted by any other facilitator submitting a book on their account? You're already there and committed to that overhead cost.

You acknowledge that DWC has an overhead cost, but don't think it is fair to allocate part of that cost to someone that is not helping out with the signing?

The overhead cost is why it costs DWC more. They pay Stan the exact same price for each signature as everyone else. Stan does not cut them a deal. So if you buy your own autograph ticket, go through the line, get your book signed and submit under your account, you haven't incurred that overhead that DWC has. And whether it's a direct cost of having to pay a DWC employee to help with the signing or an opportunity cost because Chandler or Sharon can't be getting other books signed while Stan is signing, there is a cost.

By that faulty logic, every person who buys a ticket and gets a raw book signed should have to kick some money to DWC. That "overhead cost" is still there whether 0 books go to CGC or 500.

Every time I've gotten Stan's autograph at a show (twice now) I have always had to buy the autograph tickets from DWC. So wouldn't they have their overhead built into that without having to then recover those costs by requiring you to submit books through them? When I asked them if I could submit under my own account (so I could track the progress more easily) I was told that it would cost me another chunk of money (like $15 if I recall correctly) because their profit on the sub was tied to their discount. So if I used my own account they wouldn't make that money, and thus had to charge it as extra on top of what I would normally pay. That seemed a little odd to me.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

All inquires regarding this matter can be answered by dialing: 1-877-662-6648

If discussion of this topic bothers you so much, you could, crazy I know, not click on the thread.

It's not that the discussion of it bothers me. It's that people are repeatedly blaming DWC for something they may not even be guilty of doing. There are three parties that know all the details of how these signings with Stan are set up.

1) DWC

2) CGC

3) Stan Lee's representatives

I fail to understand why Chandler & Sharon would disclose any more information about their business practices to what certainly seems to be a group of people that don't even utilize their services. It also doesn't make any sense that these same people have continued to argue that DWC has an exclusive deal with Stan Lee for signings. This has been proven to NOT be the case, particularly since NYcomics has announced the Masters 5 signing.

If someone has a problem with the way something in the SS program is being handled the ONLY persons able to do anything about it would be Mr. Litch or Mr. Pierson who you yourself have stated have no intention of calling to even inquire as to why your posted question hasn't been addressed when it's entirely possible, and quite likely, that they haven't read your post. Continuing to post about it and not making the obvious slight effort to get the answers you're looking for is about as effective as beating your head against a brick wall. (shrug)

the ONLY persons able to do anything about it would be Mr. Litch

Leave Paul's dad out of this. He doesn't want to have anything to do with comics.

He still tells people who ask, that Paul works in "plastics".

It's a sensitive topic. lol

It also doesn't make any sense that these same people have continued to argue that DWC has an exclusive deal with Stan Lee for signings. This has been proven to NOT be the case, particularly since NYcomics has announced the Masters 5 signing.

As has been stated many times, NYComics has a private signing with Stan. The discussion has been involving getting Stan at public conventions where Stan is brought in by the promoters, and whether DWC is the exclusive facilitator through which those submissions can go. Obviously there are strong sentiments on all sides of the discussion, but let's make sure that operative discussion points stay apples to apples.