• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It kills me when . . .

61 posts in this topic

People amp up the color saturation on a scan and then pretend to dispel the presence of yellowing, blaming it on the scanner. Off-whites become yellow when the saturation is increased, duh. One can easily tell when a slab has been oversaturated - we all know what color a CGC label really is. meh

That is one of my favorites :cloud9:

I had that like two weeks ago trying to work a deal on a book. The person balked at my offer with a "just look at those colors!!!!" comment. I was like "yeah, look how over saturated the blue on the label is dummy!" :facepalm:

we all know what color a CGC label really is. meh

100% agree! First thing I look at when a books colors look to vibrant...

Similarly Ive actually seen some ebay listings tone down the color so you cant tell a PLOD or GLOD as easily in the listing... some of those PLODs look bluish with enough contrast tinkering...

People amp up the color saturation on a scan and then pretend to dispel the presence of yellowing, blaming it on the scanner. Off-whites become yellow when the saturation is increased, duh. One can easily tell when a slab has been oversaturated - we all know what color a CGC label really is. meh

Do you have any examples of what you are talking about?

I'll admit Ive done it to a couple scans of mine but it's never been with the intention of deceiving anyone. They're pretty much for my enjoyment as my generic scams tend to turn out bland.

Just a little advice, when talking about playing with the color of your scans, you probably shouldn't mess us and type "SCAM" instead of "SCAN"! :baiting:

lol

Why don't you?

Hey Divad,

I get the feeling that you are talking about me again.

Why do I think that?

Because you busted my balls about this same thing when I was selling raw books with a crappy Canon scanner years ago on the forum by cryptically trolling me around the boards about the same thing. You didn't even deny doing it at the time.

Now you are doing it again.

I know that you have me on ignore because I told you off last year. You definitely deserved it after personally insulting me and my family in the General Forum in an uncalled for fashion. Unfortunately, it looks like you are not actually ignoring me. It seems that when you get the itch you just have to feed that nervous tick of yours and troll me even though I don't say boo to you and leave you to your own business.

If it is me you are talking about (and I think you are talking about me and the listing of my Avengers #4), I want to be clear that I do not enhance scans to try to hide or minimize defects. I never have.

Real men don't passive aggressively troll people or talk about them behind their backs. They go to the source of their problems and solve them with integrity.

:screwy: If the shoe fits . . .

My man, I have never manipulated scans to make books look better. I take pride in the fact that I am true to my word and go out of my way to try to make buyers feel good about their purchases.

Scanners will pick up whatever they think they see and try to translate them into real life the best they can, but a scan will never accurately represent real life. It will just imitate it the best it can. At least the cheap $200-500 scanners that I use won't.

If there is any discrepancy between what shows up in a scan and what the book looks like, I go generally out of my way to make sure the book is accurately represented.

For example, I actually had the Avengers #4 rescanned on a different scanner (think about it, two different scanners used on the same book) and made sure the new owner was completely satisfied with the book before he actually was committed to the book. He was.

That's probably more than most dealers will do. Go to all of the major dealers that you can think of and you will see that they all use different types of scanners and different quality of scans. no scanner will mimic real life.

I'm happy to discuss this but I'm telling you that you are looking for something that isn't there.

(shrug)

I can vouch for Roy in at least two comics I bought from him that the scans were very accurate representations of the books in hand.

Yes, the scans were vibrant but so were the HG TOS I got in hand. No deception at all.

Plus, Roy mentioned that the yellow in the Avengers 4 scan wasn't really on the book in person. Why would he do that selling a big ticket book if it really is there? The buyer would throw a fit if it was there once in hand.

:foryou:

Any bad blood you two have aside. I was curious and took a look at the sales thread and understand the basis of your opinion. The CGC labels do look tinted and off colour from comparing other sales thread scans of CGC labels and to CGC labels in person. This would also give the effect of the inks looking deeper and richer but don't people have enough common sense to see the difference?

Plus, Roy mentioned that the yellow in the Avengers 4 scan wasn't really on the book in person. Why would he do that selling a big ticket book if it really is there? The buyer would throw a fit if it was there once in hand.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. I've built my reputation slowly over the years as being a straightforward person and a man of my word. There is always going to be the odd person who has something to disagree with me on, and we can get into "he said, she said" but I've done enough deals both here and on eBay as well as at shows and privately for people to know whether I describe my books accurately or not.

This is what I said (quoted from the listing):

I believe that the top right corner yellowing that is showing up in the scan is scanner artifact and not actually on the book. I don't remember it being there when it was in hand.

I was on the road when I posted the book for sale on and posting a scan that was made previously and saved on my laptop. The reason I had commented on the tanning the way I did was because I did not remember the defect specifically and did have books in the past where the scanner that was being used had enhanced or changed the way defects looked compared to holding the books in hand (tanning and foxing in particular were enhanced).

I had not seen the book in a few weeks and recollected to the best of my memory. When I had a board member show interest in the book I had someone at home inspect the book for me and rescan it on a different scanner just to be sure.

If someone wants to take my wording and blow it out of proportion then more power to them. I am am in support of free speech and allowing people to question what is real and what is right. There is just a right and a wrong way to do it.

That freedom also gives me the opportunity to speak as well though, and because half truths can become baseless rumours, and because I have been in situations before where leaving sleeping dogs lying gives people the opportunity to spread half truths behind my back I decided to tackle this one head on and nip it in the bud.

This really is a tempest in a tea pot though, as the new owner is excited about the book and Divad is just looking to stir up some trouble because he seems to feel the need to do so with me every once in a while. The fact that he actually insulted me and my family with a personal slur in the past shows me that he's not exactly a rational person so I'm not too worried about it.

I just wanted it out there for people to make up their own minds.

:)