• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It kills me when . . .

61 posts in this topic

It's an interesting debate. A true to life slab scan does tell you what the slab looks like but the slab itself tends to gray the colours of the comic book.

I think the point to stress is that no digital reproduction can reproduce real life 100%, it can only try to mimic it and some scanners do it better than others.

That's one of the main reasons people choose analog over digital in music, as well as various other art forms.

Why do you think everything is always about you? lol:insane:

Because of the timing of your post (during the listing of my book), the wording you chose (similar to the wording in my listing) and your admittance to trolling me about the exact topic in the past. Like you said, if the shoe fits...

At this point all I'll accept from you is an apology.

(thumbs u

:roflmao:

You can apologize to yourself for being so insecure.

And btw, I don't troll you. You are a speck of dust on the windshield of life. I only see your posts if they are quoted, or if you post in my thread :grin:

And btw, I don't troll you. You are a speck of dust on the windshield of life. I only see your posts if they are quoted, or if you post in my thread :grin:

Yes you do troll him, you are a troll!

Where are the examples?

Ultimately, it comes down to dealing with people you trust.

I think that's the number one point there... If you see a lot of listings on ebay you'll see a lot of shades of blue on the label but you also see that on peoples sig lines when they have a lot of books in a row. This could be due to a number of factors. It's nearly impossible to tell unless you have your book in hand.

On a side note.. I don't think I've ever seen you make an angry post until this thread Roy lol

Where are the examples?

I think that's the number one point there... If you see a lot of listings on ebay you'll see a lot of shades of blue on the label but you also see that on peoples sig lines when they have a lot of books in a row. This could be due to a number of factors. It's nearly impossible to tell unless you have your book in hand.

On a side note.. I don't think I've ever seen you make an angry post until this thread Roy lol

Hmn. I don't think anyone on this chat forum has seen me angry yet.

hm

Where are the examples?

Hmn. I don't think anyone on this chat forum has seen me angry yet.

hm

Ive talked to an angry roy on the phone :blush:

Hmm… The only adjective which wouldn’t come to my mind thinking about Roy would be "insecure".

Specks of dust can also teach a lot, if you learn to listen… :eyeroll:

For the record, the board member that bought the Avengers #4 CGC 9.2 (that's the book that started this whole mess of a thread) sent me a PM to tell me that the book looked even better in hand than it did in the scan.

(thumbs u

Hmm… The only adjective which wouldn’t come to my mind thinking about Roy would be "insecure".

Vanity and insecurity go hand in hand. :eyeroll: It's tough being the center of the universe. :grin:

For the record, the board member that bought the Avengers #4 CGC 9.2 (that's the book that started this whole mess of a thread) sent me a PM to tell me that the book looked even better in hand than it did in the scan.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Vanity and insecurity go hand in hand. :eyeroll: It's tough being the center of the universe. :grin:

Go home David nobody likes you anymore :gossip:

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

Did you buy it Mark?!?

Go home David nobody likes you anymore :gossip:

Very true, the diva act gets old

Here's a clear example of how a scan does not properly represent the book.

This is a typical scan I use to sell a slabbed book. The scan has been adjusted slightly to better represent the book. Unfortunately, this particular scanner makes all blues look a little too dark (grey) and makes tanning appear (on the right) where it doesn't exist in hand. Then I have a scan of the book in it's raw state made on a different scanner. The scan of the ungraded book is not changed in any way. Just a raw scan.

You can see now how a scan misrepresents the book.

The ungraded scan is much more representative of the book in hand than the slabbed scan, even though I tried to adjust the slabbed scan by lightening it to better represent the book (notice the bright CGC label). No funny business, just trying to show the book as it appears in hand. All scanners represent books differently. In the end, they just do the best they can with whatever they are working with.

JourneyIntoMystery83CGC9_0OWWfront1032394001.jpg

JIM83front.jpg

Great example. My experience has been that most scanner software is set by default to auto-correct the tone levels in each color channel. Even if you turn that off and straighten out the color curves, you often get a desaturated, flat image which doesn't look at all like the book.

And then there's the difference in monitors and color profiles…

But that's a beautiful JIM 83 either way. :)

Ultimately, a scanner has to make a yes/no (binary) decision as to what the best way to imitate real life.

This is a clear example of how digital is not superior to analog...unless you are spending a zillion dollars on a scanner.

Tom Scholz, anybody?

;)

Ultimately, a scanner has to make a yes/no (binary) decision as to what the best way to imitate real life.

This is a clear example of how digital is not superior to analog...unless you are spending a zillion dollars on a scanner.

Tom Scholz, anybody?

;)

heh heh heh. log.