• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Johnny holding... and why?

22 posts in this topic

Today I came across a story about how Matt Lauer wore a jacket that looked like it would have been worn by Johnny Carson.

To illustrate the point, a photo of Lauer was placed next to a photo of Johnny Carson. And of course, you know what caught my eye.

Johnny_Carson_With_Matt_Lauer.JPG

My question is... anybody know who or what Johnny was talking about that night?

I recall a time when he saw something signed by Jack Kirby and, having no idea who he was, made some crack about "the King of Comics" - thinking it referred to comedians.

He was deluged with letters, educating him on who Kirby was. He apologized on a later show. This might have been from that show. hm

I could be wrong but I think the Spaulding ad was Marvel only.

I do recall that ad on many Marvel books, and don't recall seeing it on a DC book.

So I'm assuming it's a Marvel book from the early 80's.

When I first spotted this, I Googled Johnny Carson and Comic Books, and came across the story about The King of Late Night and the King of Comics.

Johnny Carson rips Jack Kirby, but later apologizes

It's a cool story. Johnny thought Jack was calling himself the King of Comics. Johnny took issue with it, and even made fun of some unknown guy calling himself the king of comics. Eventually, Johnny was set straight and he apologized for what he said about Jack. There's no explicit mention in the article that he ever had Jack on the show, though.

It's a cool story. Johnny thought Jack was calling himself the King of Comics. Johnny took issue with it, and even made fun of some unknown guy calling himself the king of comics. Eventually, Johnny was set straight and he apologized for what he said about Jack. There's no explicit mention in the article that he ever had Jack on the show, though.

Imagine anyone CALLING THEMSELVES the king of something :popcorn:

At the Dallas Fantasy Fair one year in the early 90s a friend and I were on the elevator at the hotel. A lady got on and, seeing our geek badges, asked, "What are y'all here for?"

"A comic convention."

"Oh wow! Tell me something funny."

doh!

I do recall that ad on many Marvel books, and don't recall seeing it on a DC book.

Could've been Hulk if he had Bixby or Ferrigno on, then.

Peace,

Chip

At the Dallas Fantasy Fair one year in the early 90s a friend and I were on the elevator at the hotel. A lady got on and, seeing our geek badges, asked, "What are y'all here for?"

"A comic convention."

doh!

^^

Now don't quote me, but my sources say that was one of the first Russian comic books that made their way into US soil. My friend specifically remembers watching Carson that night when he had that book in his hand, as that was the night his son Marvin was born, 5th July 1981. It was a big deal because it was said that the book carried a coded operation that was said to be executed later that year near the Afghanistan border. As it was rumored, it all went to shhh when it was aired by Carson. It was dubbed "La Cucaracha" (I think it was Spanish for 'The Apocaliptic Plague'), anyways, it was suppossedly cancelled because of that show; he was interviewing Michael Bastrovnovisch of the former Yugoslavian Secret Service, who became a movie advisor for Plan C production company in 1979..... hm That's what I heard..

Now don't quote me, but my sources say that was one of the first Russian comic books that made their way into US soil. My friend specifically remembers watching Carson that night when he had that book in his hand, as that was the night his son Marvin was born, 5th July 1981. It was a big deal because it was said that the book carried a coded operation that was said to be executed later that year near the Afghanistan border. As it was rumored, it all went to shhh when it was aired by Carson. It was dubbed "La Cucaracha" (I think it was Spanish for 'The Apocaliptic Plague'), anyways, it was suppossedly cancelled because of that show; he was interviewing Michael Bastrovnovisch of the former Yugoslavian Secret Service, who became a movie advisor for Plan C production company in 1979..... hm That's what I heard..

Wow. Give me a pound of whatever hash it is that you smoke.

Peace,

Chip :)

Wow. Give me a pound of whatever hash it is that you smoke.

Peace,

Chip :)

You are right..it is hash, but I don't smoke it; my local crack dealer has recommended insists that I grind it and snort it with a heavy doze baby powder...

War and Mayhem,

El Chespirote strikes again!!!

"A comic convention."

doh!

Had the same thing happen on the way to NYC one year. Watson, Drew and I were asked at the border "where are you headed?" "A comic convention" we replied. Then he asked us "which one of us was the funniest?"

Jim

Imagine anyone CALLING THEMSELVES the king of something :popcorn:

i almost did a spit take there.

When I first spotted this, I Googled Johnny Carson and Comic Books, and came across the story about The King of Late Night and the King of Comics.

Johnny Carson rips Jack Kirby, but later apologizes

I believe Mark Evanier describes the whole story in some detail on his site. My recollection is that Kirby did appear on the show in an attempt for Carson to apologize, but came off as feeling uncomfortable and awkward.

I was thinking that Spalding ad was early 80's, but I was off by a bit. Checking my old FF's from that era, I found the ad on the BC of FF 184 (July, 1977) and 185 (August, 1977). It's also on the back of Star Wars #1.

Does that give us any clues as to what Johnny was talking about that night in 1977 and why he was holding a Marvel comic?

Spaulding. :cloud9: