• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

those "local store" variants

22 posts in this topic

hello all...

I have never been one to do a "retailer exclusive" cover type comic... but the bug has bitten me, and I opted in to do the Spider-Men #1... my understanding is all it will have is our store logo on the front cover...won't be like the Godzilla variants, etc...

my question, do folks (outside of my locals) really want to buy these?

in other words, what am I going to do with the copies I don't have buyers for... ebay ? (no thank you if at all avoidable)...conventions (maybe)...do boardies desire to have these "wanna be" variants in their collections?

just curious

rick

is it just the regular cover...?

I'm actually somewhat opposed to these regional retailer variants. I don't consider them to be a true first print, but this is just my own personal bias, I guess.

I have been following this trend for awhile...

You have people that want to collect all the store variants, even outside of the US, so make sure you offer them on ebay and outside of the US where you feel comfortable. You can also do a search on ebay to show what they typically sell for as many stores have offered them this way.

Not sure the legal ramifications but you might also be able to write off the books as a promotional or advertising expense after the 'demand' has worn off. Of course keeping in mind the profit made already with any left over copies (don't want the legal eagles jumping all over me, but you do have options).

I think the worst case would be to sit on them as long term you will probably not see much interest, maybe an occassional ebay purchase.

Just my thoughts...

and an edit: they are true first prints from Marvel or DC but with a different cover featuring the store name on the cover. I believe they even arrive before the normal issue hits the stand so in other words...they could be the true first prints by definition (shrug)

I always like to pick up the retailer variants for my local store. I have no idea why though, since it's basically just a thing that Marvel does, and I'm not really a fan of any of Marvel's stuff. I guess I pick them up because I think it's neat to see my LCS represented on the cover and I suppose I think that one day I will like to go back and look at them for nostalgia purposes when I'm older. Who knows, maybe there will be a new LCS giant in town when I'm older, or maybe I will live somewhere else and have a new LCS. You never know what the future holds.

As far as what to do with them when you are left with some, I have a feeling that you will have quite a few left over based on what I've seen at my LCS. I think Marvel makes you order quite a few of them to the point where it's nearly impossible to get rid of all of them. On the opposite end, the argument could be made that it must not be that bad. The reason I say this is because my LCS seems to buy quite a few of every single one of these possible retailer-exclusive variant covers. Whether that's because they want them based on being full of themselves or if they actually are able to unload the majority of them, is a thought that I don't have the answer to.

As for the eBay market, the only people who would be interested in picking them up are the junkies who absolutely have to have a "complete run" of their favorite titles. For those people, they will pick them up from you over eBay, almost no matter what the price is. But the question is, are there going to be enough of those to scoop up the extra copies that you will have? The only way to really find out is to see what happens with your first shot at it.

I think you're going to have to do something that makes people want it because it is cooler than the regular cover or any other cover for that book. In orther words, you need something that makes your book powerfully collectible. I would suggest asking about putting deadpool or venom or about something even cooler than those guys on the book. I also think a really sharp book that is all black but for a spider symbol or all white but for a spider symbol or has a knock out photo of MJ doing a Mrs. Robinson on Miler Morales or something controversial but not offensive would do the trick. That's my advice, it's free and unfortunately you get what you pay for. If you want to kick around some ideas feel free to PM me.

Unfortunately this is not a design your own cover exclusive. It is just a little box on the standard cover that we can out a pic of our store or store logo on. Kind of an expensive promo business card I guess lol

Unfortunately this is not a design your own cover exclusive. It is just a little box on the standard cover that we can out a pic of our store or store logo on. Kind of an expensive promo business card I guess lol

I would at least try and get a memorable slogan or design on it. Maybe "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" or something like that ... Unless you want a really cool, pricey business card. I think if you do something that appeals to everyone then the book is not just a regional variant - particularly if you release a couple books on ebay or on the board.

Damn, I thought it was going to be like a giant photo of the front of the store. That would be an awesome variant.

How many copies do you normally order?

500 sounds like a lot.

it is a lot. I have dealt with toy exclusives where the moq was 5000-10000 so by that comparison it is a small number lol

I wouldn't do it for a title like spider men. Im not sure if it's an on going but if it is when was the last time a spider man title other than amazing made it past 50 issues.

If it was in the amazing spider man run I think the interest in it would last alittle longer for the completest out there.

For what it's worth that's my 2c

How many copies do you normally order?

500 sounds like a lot.

it is a lot. I have dealt with toy exclusives where the moq was 5000-10000 so by that comparison it is a small number lol

OK hear me out on this...

You order 500 with your store/logo on them.

Make a big deal about BURNING 490 of them. Get TV out there, youtube it, etc.

Then auction the remaining 10... at least 1 or 2 (or all 10) for charity.

You get ridiculous amounts of publicity, domestic and international buyers might fall all over themselves to get an official Marvel Spider-man comic limited to 10 copies.

You would have the Marvel Bradman Superman equivalent... and you'd do it first.

(Anyone could do this in the future, so it's important to be first.)

How much would that cost? $1,000 max?

Win, win, win, win.