• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man is the Core of the Marvel Universe, First Two Decades o/t 21st Century

45 posts in this topic

The Fantastic Four was the core of the Marvel universe, 1961-1968ish, give or take five years. The monster book meets the dysfunctional family unit was fresh and inventive, and the Reed Father knows best aspect of the book in a decade still evolving out of the fifties was tonally appropriate to where the nation was.

The Amazing Spider-Man was the core of the Marvel universe, 1965-1990ish with his wholesome underdog persona and boy next door worldview. In and amidst his rise was the anti-heroes of the Punisher and Wolverine who fleshed out the ever changing ideas of "hero".

I couldn't possibly care less about Marvel, circa 1993-2002, so for the purposes of my argument, let us pick up with the MU in 2003.

Iron Man is the perfect hero for our current celebrity obssessed, pragmatic, me generation, second place is for losers generation. He is a hero with flaws, yes, but he's not you; he is better than you, he is more than you and I will ever be, and you like it.

Caveat: I'm talking about perceptions as a whole, specifically the movie going populations, and how going forward, these heroes will be percieved.

Plus, I'm riding on a week long Avengers high, so your mileage may vary. Yes, this is another Avengers thread in CG.

The Fantastic Four was the core of the Marvel universe, 1961-1968ish, give or take five years. The monster book meets the dysfunctional family unit was fresh and inventive, and the Reed Father knows best aspect of the book in a decade still evolving out of the fifties was tonally appropriate to where the nation was.

The Amazing Spider-Man was the core of the Marvel universe, 1965-1990ish with his wholesome underdog persona and boy next door worldview. In and amidst his rise was the anti-heroes of the Punisher and Wolverine who fleshed out the ever changing ideas of "hero".

I couldn't possibly care less about Marvel, circa 1993-2002, so for the purposes of my argument, let us pick up with the MU in 2003.

Iron Man is the perfect hero for our current celebrity obssessed, pragmatic, me generation, second place is for losers generation. He is a hero with flaws, yes, but he's not you; he is better than you, he is more than you and I will ever be, and you like it.

Caveat: I'm talking about perceptions as a whole, specifically the movie going populations, and how going forward, these heroes will be percieved.

Plus, I'm riding on a week long Avengers high, so your mileage may vary. Yes, this is another Avengers thread in CG.

:preach:

Iron Man is the perfect hero for our current celebrity obsessed, pragmatic, me generation, second place is for losers generation. He is a hero with flaws, yes, but he's not you; he is better than you, he is more than you and I will ever be, and you like it.

Caveat: I'm talking about perceptions as a whole, specifically the movie going populations, and how going forward, these heroes will be perceived.

I corrected the typos. I cannot, however, make this piece insightful or entertaining.

I have roses and apologize to no one.

Also, ipad autocorrect is disabled.

Also, long dong.

I had a dream last night that, someday, will be serialized into comic form. It was breathtakingly awesome. I fell asleep with The Quick and the Dead on and woke up with DragonHeart on and my sweet, sweet subconscious did the rest. :whee:

PS: Iron Man is pretty lame.

Also, long dong.

I had a dream last night that, someday, will be serialized into comic form. It was breathtakingly awesome. I fell asleep with The Quick and the Dead on and woke up with DragonHeart on and my sweet, sweet subconscious did the rest. :whee:

Why do you hate reality?

PS, we got catching up to do. Short version, Swayze should be cgi'd into Expendables 2.

Iron Man is actually fulfilling a role that the took the FF 4 people to fill.

Genius - Reed Richards

Tough Guy - Thing

Playboy/stud - Johnny Storm

Sensitive/female side - his relationship with Pepper

The core of Iron Man's universe is both his genius and his wealth and his ability to do all this through his estate much like the FF did it through the Baxter building (although I did wonder how they paid for that all these years).

They also made a move to a character with more popular red and yellow primary colours - believe it or not, it's a fact that reds and yellows are more eye catching and exciting than blue alone.

Any hero at the top of the charts (Spidey, Supes, Bats, Wolverine, Iron Man, Cap) has at least some yellow or red on them. Hulk is a mix of yellow and blue (Green).

Very interesting post, Nate. I can see executives dreaming this sort of stuff up. You might be on to something.

Also, long dong.

Bah, ignore Fingh.

He wouldn't know popular if it fell on him like a tree.

Also, long dong.

Why do you hate reality?

PS, we got catching up to do. Short version, Swayze should be cgi'd into Expendables 2.

I'd buy that for a dollar. Hell, they should do an all CGI Expendables 2 with Swayze, Bruce Lee, John Wayne, Lee Marvin and Fatty Arbuckle.

Yes, this is another Avengers thread in CG.

You know, we're about 47 threads short of being tied with TWD, so a few more Avengers threads aren't going to hurt. :applause:

Also, long dong.

Why do you hate reality?

I'd buy that for a dollar. Hell, they should do an all CGI Expendables 2 with Swayze, Bruce Lee, John Wayne, Lee Marvin and Fatty Arbuckle.

Would it include the CGI version of the resurrection of Virginia Rappe?

This shameless thread bump is brought to you by the boardies Fire and Crotch and in the honor of he who shall not be mocked.

Also, thanks, Roy!

I don't think there is any way Iron Man is the core of the Marvel Universe.

Robert Downey Jr. is the foundation for the movies, but that has pretty much nothing to do with the comics. Spiderman and Wolverine seem like much more likely candidates for that.