• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Younger Silver Age Collectors

133 posts in this topic

This excellent post was buried in a Comics General thread but thought it apropos to the topic.

My next customer was a very shy 14 year old boy. He asked how much the

Avengers 1 was. We had my low grade copy for $400 and 500club's nice copy

for $2600. He looked at mine and then gave it back. I'm a bit of a joker and

teased him about something and he just turned and walked away. Oops, didn't

mean to scare him off but there's no way he's buying Avengers 1.

He came back and like a fool I teased him again and he again walked away.

He came back a few minutes later and handed me $400. I must say I was

surprised. I gave him the Avengers and asked him if he liked Spider-man.

He did so I gave him a decent copy of ASM 252. He was thrilled. I gave

him my card and told him to call me if there was any problem and I thanked

him for the sale. And yes, I'm sure I teased him again. ...

You can not tell from looking at someone who walks into your shop how experienced or serious a collector he/she is or how much money they have.

...but there's no way he's buying Avengers 1.

Ah yes, these are the ignorant dealers that intimidate new collectors away from their shop and the hobby. In this case the collector stayed and bought. But I wonder how many new collectors he "teased" away?

This past year at MegaCon I was in this situation. I had enough money saved up to buy a 5.0 Fantastic Four #5. I went to about 5 dealers and got a side eye and a "i dont' really wanna deal with you because you look young" kind of attitude. Needless to say, I didn't buy my book that weekend. Instead I waited and bought one off Clink.

This excellent post was buried in a Comics General thread but thought it apropos to the topic.

You can not tell from looking at someone who walks into your shop how experienced or serious a collector he/she is or how much money they have.

Ah yes, these are the ignorant dealers that intimidate new collectors away from their shop and the hobby. In this case the collector stayed and bought. But I wonder how many new collectors he "teased" away?

This past year at MegaCon I was in this situation. I had enough money saved up to buy a 5.0 Fantastic Four #5. I went to about 5 dealers and got a side eye and a "i dont' really wanna deal with you because you look young" kind of attitude. Needless to say, I didn't buy my book that weekend. Instead I waited and bought one off Clink.

I used to get that attitude from some dealers until they got to know me. I was young 20s w baby face. From '89 up @ the Dallas Fantasy fair I would walk around and ask for books... they would look at me funny w the "hey kid how about some smurf comics" then Id whip out my Marvel Mystery 2 or AF 15 for trading and the attitude changed. Of course there were some dealers who were always nice and respectful from day 1.

I'm always friendly to anyone who comes by my booth and I tend to tease and joke with them, it's my nature. This guy was very shy and my teasing may have drove him off at first. I certainly didn't expect him to buy the book but I did treat him like a customer from start to finish. At shows you often get people asking about books, especially keys, and often they're just curious or they have a copy and want to know what it's worth and there is no sale there. I spend time with all of them as I never know what their intent is and that five minutes discussing a book could be their entry to the hobby.

You do bring up a good point, some LCS and dealers at shows seem uninterested or rude. We all have horror stories.

I'm always friendly to anyone who comes by my booth and I tend to tease and joke with them, it's my nature. This guy was very shy and my teasing may have drove him off at first. I certainly didn't expect him to buy the book but I did treat him like a customer from start to finish. At shows you often get people asking about books, especially keys, and often they're just curious or they have a copy and want to know what it's worth and there is no sale there. I spend time with all of them as I never know what their intent is and that five minutes discussing a book could be their entry to the hobby.

You do bring up a good point, some LCS and dealers at shows seem uninterested or rude. We all have horror stories.

It's definitely good that you're friendly to all potential customers. At a lot of shows I go to, sometimes the dealer doesn't even acknowledge me at the booth. Not even because there is a lot of traffic either. I just move on to the next one. I would never buy from someone that didn't first greet me.

It's definitely good that you're friendly to all potential customers. At a lot of shows I go to, sometimes the dealer doesn't even acknowledge me at the booth. Not even because there is a lot of traffic either. I just move on to the next one. I would never buy from someone that didn't first greet me.

I greet everyone who pauses at our booth and ask what they're interested in. I believe the sooner we steer them to the right box the better.

Some hobbyists can be elitiist or snobbish towards youth, and it's a shame because that's our future right there.

I was helping behind a booth at a convention and gave a cheap low-grade SA book I just bought to a kid who had stopped by with this Dad, and he lit up like a Christmas tree. One never knows, but it was worth it to me just to see the happy expression on their faces.

I've also bascially blown-out early Star Wars comics to a Boardie's young nephew, and again it was worth it to help him fill in his runs.

For as young as many of you are, there are some really nice books and collections being presented here. It should be interesting over time to revisit this thread and see how many gravitate towards GA or just stick with SA.

Some hobbyists can be elitiist or snobbish towards youth, and it's a shame because that's our future right there.

I was helping behind a booth at a convention and gave a cheap low-grade SA book I just bought to a kid who had stopped by with this Dad, and he lit up like a Christmas tree. One never knows, but it was worth it to me just to see the happy expression on their faces.

I've also bascially blown-out early Star Wars comics to a Boardie's young nephew, and again it was worth it to help him fill in his runs.

For as young as many of you are, there are some really nice books and collections being presented here. It should be interesting over time to revisit this thread and see how many gravitate towards GA or just stick with SA.

If I could afford to get into GA (Timely) I definitely would! I would be all over the All Select, All Winners, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner and so on...

Though not quite "young" anymore, people are surprised by my age as I side-stepped SA to go directly to GA / OA in my collecting habits. Btw, no regrets on that. I am happy with my decision and would invite anyone stating above that they can't afford GA, etc ... that spending $$ now on SA and then switching to GA later may not be the way to go though SA books are as addictive as GA books so collect on, my brethren :)

I am 45 and just entered back into collecting about 5-6 months ago. When I was in my early teens the Miller DD run was on the store shelves...I bought them of course. These books were all tossed by the parental units in a frenzy of cleaning.

Several months ago I checked out a few comics and decided I was interested again. I have since been working on the DD 1-50 run. I need 15 books ( I think) to complete this run. I also just completed the Miller run with the exception of 2 books that will be in the mail soon. I did this to remind myself of those earlier years and because they are great books of course.

Concerning youth and comics I have a short story. A couple of months ago I was searching for a local comic shop. I found one about 45 minutes away. When I walked in and met the owner, we had a great talk about comics and nostalgia. It was then that I realized that there was a sign that mentioned a special opportnity for young people who liked comics. The deal was that kids would bring their report cards to the shop and they would get free comics for every A they achieved. Naturally, I think this is a wonderful idea and a great way to get young people hooked on the hobby. It also rewards academic performance, which I also think is important.

...when I was helping a friend do shows in the early 90's...I gave a lowgrade FF 28 to a young fellow who was obviously blown away by it. His Mom brought him back later to make sure he didn't heist the book. It's good to see younger collectors appreciate the things I love. To any of you younger guys.....and I'm not trying to sound like "the wise old toothless one" here....my advise is TIME PAYMENTS ARE YOUR FRIEND. If it's something really nice and you've always wanted it....don't settle for a stack of stuff you "kinda" like just to get your fix. After a decade....what starts as 1 time payment book will quickly turn into a nice portfolio. Remember ....books that are already expensive are that way because they're proven. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...when I was helping a friend do shows in the early 90's...I gave a lowgrade FF 28 to a young fellow who was obviously blown away by it. His Mom brought him back later to make sure he didn't heist the book. It's good to see younger collectors appreciate the things I love. To any of you younger guys.....and I'm not trying to sound like "the wise old toothless one" here....my advise is TIME PAYMENTS ARE YOUR FRIEND. If it's something really nice and you've always wanted it....don't settle for a stack of stuff you "kinda" like just to get your fix. After a decade....what starts as 1 time payment book will quickly turn into a nice portfolio. Remember ....books that are already expensive are that way because they're proven. GOD BLESS...

Best advice. (thumbs u I always follow a quality over quantity goal.I save up for one or two big books a year,and yes it really sucks to see all the pics of great books that are posted here. I just tell myself to keep my focus,and soon enough you'll have books that you never in your life thought you would own.I still get the chills when I pull out my AF15 or Hulk 1 or keys like those. :cloud9:

Never collected for Nostalgia or I'd have boxes full of Secret Wars and Kitty Pryde and Wolverine. Went straight to SA when I was 13 years old in the mid 80's, bypassing Byrne X-Men and headed straight to X-Men book from the 60's. I was fascinated with the fact that the X-Men logo wasn't always "block" letters.

Jim

I am 45 and just entered back into collecting about 5-6 months ago. When I was in my early teens the Miller DD run was on the store shelves...I bought them of course. These books were all tossed by the parental units in a frenzy of cleaning.

Several months ago I checked out a few comics and decided I was interested again. I have since been working on the DD 1-50 run. I need 15 books ( I think) to complete this run. I also just completed the Miller run with the exception of 2 books that will be in the mail soon. I did this to remind myself of those earlier years and because they are great books of course.

Concerning youth and comics I have a short story. A couple of months ago I was searching for a local comic shop. I found one about 45 minutes away. When I walked in and met the owner, we had a great talk about comics and nostalgia. It was then that I realized that there was a sign that mentioned a special opportnity for young people who liked comics. The deal was that kids would bring their report cards to the shop and they would get free comics for every A they achieved. Naturally, I think this is a wonderful idea and a great way to get young people hooked on the hobby. It also rewards academic performance, which I also think is important.

I like that LCS owner.

So at the age 45, what drew you back into the hobby?

I like that LCS owner.

So at the age 45, what drew you back into the hobby?

It was work. I use my brain at work everyday, and it is a job that one must take home. There is no 9-5 for me. I just needed something to occupy myself and get out of my own head. I joined this board, went to a con, and I was hooked. I enjoy the escape into a good comic book, and it takes me back to days when life was a bit simpler...though I did not know it at the time.

I can attest that a lot of younger collectors are interested in the 'silver age' era. I consider this to be great overall. I am interested in this realm as well, and can state that I was not alive at this time either.

'mint'

Can someone explain to me how this works? Seems incredibly risky on big books. Why not just deposit money into a bank or brokerage account with the same regularity and then use that money for comics?

Can someone explain to me how this works? Seems incredibly risky on big books. Why not just deposit money into a bank or brokerage account with the same regularity and then use that money for comics?

I think you are misunderstanding what buying with 'time payments' is. Most dealers across most collecting fields offer this. It is a way to purchase a book in set payments. The dealer holds the item for you at an agreed upon price, while the buyer makes set payments towards the book. This is actually beneficial to the buyer, because even if you ha e the cash; why 'tie up' your money? It is an interest free loan from a dealer.

I buy a lot of antiques and collectibles this way; and I also offer the option to my buyers as well (I.e. on antiques over a certain dollar amount).

Respectfully,

'mint'