• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you use GPA

127 posts in this topic

Ok so I bit the bullet and bought a membership in GPA. Eye opening. It seems prices for the best condition comics have been undervalued and for lower condition comics have been overvalued. That said I'm not sure what price everyone here uses when trying to figure out a fair price. I tend to collect silver age comics and there are usually only 1 or 2 sales per condition per year. And these seem pretty variable, one issue that overstreet has for $30 might have gone for $30, then the next issue which overstreet has for the same price might have gone for $75. It almost seems like it's too much information and not enough.

So how do all of you use GPA to price comics either to sell or to buy?

Tip #2: GPA is not a guide. It's actual recorded sales. There is no guessing.

This.

And when negotiating prices I've actually had sellers try to tell me "you can't really go by GPA." That their comic is actually worth more in real life. :facepalm:

Interesting question. I am on the fence, about to pull the trigger on GPA. My interest is for when I am buying. I sent GPA an email asking a question, but I haven't heard back - that doesn't bode well.

Interesting question. I am on the fence, about to pull the trigger on GPA. My interest is for when I am buying. I sent GPA an email asking a question, but I haven't heard back - that doesn't bode well.

As far as I know it's a self-service site. What was your question?

I just found out that the prices on there do not include shipping. Big deal on cheap books, or when for some reason the dude on Ebay charges $20. Also all prices recorded on GPA had something like 7-13% shaved off the sellers cut to go to the middle man.

I just found out that the prices on there do not include shipping. Big deal on cheap books, or when for some reason the dude on Ebay charges $20. Also all prices recorded on GPA had something like 7-13% shaved off the sellers cut to go to the middle man.

For me not including shipping is inconsequential.

Where did you get that shaving the closing price claim from?

GPA is a great reference tool, just like Overstreet is for raw comics. Neither cover every scenario, and remember, there are only a limited number of selling outlets that are authorized to report sales data, so it is NOT all-inclusive.

For me not including shipping is inconsequential.

Where did you get that shaving the closing price claim from?

Every book I've bought from sites that report, gps has the EXACT price I paid (shrug)

So it's more of an art than a science?

There are no absolutes. You take the information you have to work with at the time and make an as informed decision as you can. Using GPA as a reference is a great start, but allow that prices may vary from reported sales. Ultimately you are the one to decide whether that is what you will pay for a comic, not someone else.

Has anyone else noticed that if an E-Bay item sells for a Best Offer price, the sales price listed on E-Bay is the original listed price. If you select the item and look at the details the Best offer price is listed. I trust the correct amount gets reported to GPA.

Has anyone else noticed that if an E-Bay item sells for a Best Offer price, the sales price listed on E-Bay is the original listed price. If you select the item and look at the details the Best offer price is listed. I trust the correct amount gets reported to GPA.

I ran into this exact same issue recently, and in my limited double checking it appears that the actual selling price gets reported.

I use it in conjunction with ebay sales due to sometimes there is no book sales listed for a couple of years and no price increase over a period of time And i also go with the factor of do i really want the book for the price seller is asking for it.

Here's my science! If I want the book I buy it,if I like the price I buy it.I really don't care what any service or Overstreet says it should be. 2c

When researching a price I start with GPA. If there isn't enough data on a book in a certain grade I will check GPA on a similar book, one issue # higher or lower (if the book has a similar value, demand and rarity (census)), I also go to Heritage Auctions and check their auction archives (tons of data) and some of the major dealers like Metropolis.

Then I :cry: overpay......

I started to sell a few things on feebay, so I just bought it for the month. I needed to know the price of a couple of books, but I don't want to do the "dance of shame" asking what is the GPA on Generic comics #1 and have a few people insult you before someone helps you out.

I'll cancel it at the end of the month.