• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting things in the May ComicLink Auction

83 posts in this topic

The ASM #6 page is already at $34K. Any prognostications on how high it'll go? Solid Spidey images, Lizard appearance (to tie in with the upcoming movie), earliest Spidey art on the market - lots of things that would push this one way up there.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Question to the folks that were astonished at the $64K closing price - what do you think it should have closed at?

I was surprised by a few other results:

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

-Sekowsky WW 179 page for $2.7K (yeah, change in direction, but still, no costume)

-Land Wolverine 55 page = 4.5K

The $64k blows away the public sale price of any Ditko panel page I have seen.

Even on the private sales I have been privy too that's beyond anything short of a half splash or top 5 key page or 1st appearance pages.

The ASM #6 page is already at $34K. Any prognostications on how high it'll go? Solid Spidey images, Lizard appearance (to tie in with the upcoming movie), earliest Spidey art on the market - lots of things that would push this one way up there.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Question to the folks that were astonished at the $64K closing price - what do you think it should have closed at?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

-Sekowsky WW 179 page for $2.7K (yeah, change in direction, but still, no costume)

Even on the private sales I have been privy too that's beyond anything short of a half splash or top 5 key page or 1st appearance pages.

I can understand that, however the Ditko ASM 30 page, a less desirable page, sold for $36K in the same auction.

The Doug Mahnke Man Who Laughs cover was at one time sold on CLINK for over $6000 and now $4211. Quite a hit .

Could modern artists be and the down while order more established artist are on they way up?

The Doug Mahnke Man Who Laughs cover was at one time sold on CLINK for over $6000 and now $4211. Quite a hit .

Could modern artists be and the down while order more established artist are on they way up?

I wouldn't buy a modern artist for investment value, after all I won this as I had to justify staying uptil 4am for the OA part of the auction what with work the next day.

It's certainly not an investment piece, however a bargain to me.

Wolverine Annual 2 Mike Deodato Jr.

RADBA856201254_121144.jpg

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

Congrats on the nice sale :)

I was surprised by the Land. I had offered it on the site for 3K before. I even bought it from the Donnellys and did not take a loss on it but a slight gain. A large reason why I went a head and put it in the auction was I noticed the Yu Wolverine cover in the last big Clink auction sold for 4K which I thought it was pretty strong.

6K was what it took for Doug to part with it. I never really thought if I resold it I would see that amount. I honestly didn't even think it would fetch what it did. I had offered it on the site for 3K. The highest offer I had was less than half the auction price. Between that and the Wolverine cover I just don't think that people check the OA listings on Clink the way they do the auctions.

I personally think a lot of Modern OA is grossly overpriced especially when coming direct from an artist or their rep. of course if you ever really want a piece then you are often stuck paying to get an artist to part with it. Even modern artist I think are great like Finch I just have trouble seeing being a great investment with initial prices being so high. I don't know that much DC an marvel stuff the past 10-15 year is going to pull at nostalgic heart strings the way Lee and Todd M are doing.

It is always difficult when forecasting anything like this. I have an Indiana Jones piece I bought from a gallery. I really love the piece but had thought myself there is no way I will ever get close to what I paid should I ever sell. I've had the piece 3 or 4 years and was talking to the artist on Facebook a few months ago and he mentions. By the way if you need to let that painting go I have someone who has been hounding me about it since it was sold. So you never know what anyone person will be willing to pay.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

I can understand that, however the Ditko ASM 30 page, a less desirable page, sold for $36K in the same auction.

But the $36k page had spidey in costume on 6 of the seven panels. It went within the range of several recent sales...maybe 10% above. Not a sale that moves the data trend to any material amount by any means.

I personally think a lot of Modern OA is grossly overpriced especially when coming direct from an artist or their rep. of course if you ever really want a piece then you are often stuck paying to get an artist to part with it. Even modern artist I think are great like Finch I just have trouble seeing being a great investment with initial prices being so high. I don't know that much DC an marvel stuff the past 10-15 year is going to pull at nostalgic heart strings the way Lee and Todd M are doing.

It is always difficult when forecasting anything like this. I have an Indiana Jones piece I bought from a gallery. I really love the piece but had thought myself there is no way I will ever get close to what I paid should I ever sell. I've had the piece 3 or 4 years and was talking to the artist on Facebook a few months ago and he mentions. By the way if you need to let that painting go I have someone who has been hounding me about it since it was sold. So you never know what anyone person will be willing to pay.

I personally believe that the "overpricing" of modern OA is also related to how much they have appreciated in the last few years. Artists and their reps have seen prices go up to double or triple what they sold it a few years ago, so I can't blame them for pricing it high to make sure they don't leave money on the table again.

In the grand scheme of things, this should all balance. I've been personally believing it for the past few years, things can't keep on going up and up forever (and I've been wrong the past few years)

Finally, its a cliche, but when you are buying OA, while it's always good to get a good deal, you shouldn't buy it only because it will appreciate in the future.

Malvin

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

But the $36k page had spidey in costume on 6 of the seven panels. It went within the range of several recent sales...maybe 10% above. Not a sale that moves the data trend to any material amount by any means.

I'm not saying I wasn't surprised as that's more than I've ever seen for a ditko panel page by a large margin (not that I watch too closely), but I have to say the more I look at that Spidey #6 page the more I like it. Its clearly a very signficant upgrade on the spidey 30 page no matter how many spidey panels the 30 page has. With the comforts of both hindsight, and stopping to really look at the #6 page, the ending price doesn't seem so crazy anymore. If the spidey 30 page is more or less market, and I think we pretty much agree there, then I don't see how the #6 page isn't 50k or more. Now I'm sure you know way more about the market on this than me! So I'm not doubting you whatsoever when you mention past sales, but that said, I can TOTALLY see why someone would pay signficantly more for the page from #6.

I personally believe that the "overpricing" of modern OA is also related to how much they have appreciated in the last few years. Artists and their reps have seen prices go up to double or triple what they sold it a few years ago, so I can't blame them for pricing it high to make sure they don't leave money on the table again.

In the grand scheme of things, this should all balance. I've been personally believing it for the past few years, things can't keep on going up and up forever (and I've been wrong the past few years)

Finally, its a cliche, but when you are buying OA, while it's always good to get a good deal, you shouldn't buy it only because it will appreciate in the future.

Malvin

Its probably been debated many times but I liken new art to buying "hot" new comics. In five years the book (or artist in this case) probably won't be nearly as hot, and you'll probably lose money as a result. There are a few where you will win out, but on the whole its not a good investment compared to something more vintage with a longer more established track record.

In my view the brand new art is generally the same upside (at best!) and way more downside. But having never participated in that arena I am just guessing based on what I see in terms of asking prices on artists that I don't even recognize! gulp.

If you're buying what you like at prices you can afford, it shouldn't matter. But on the other hand, I'll say this, I personally don't like buying anything where I feel the chances of a loss are pretty good. Naturally that's a generalization and it depends on what specific pieces you buy.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

I'm not saying I wasn't surprised as that's more than I've ever seen for a ditko panel page by a large margin (not that I watch too closely), but I have to say the more I look at that Spidey #6 page the more I like it. Its clearly a very signficant upgrade on the spidey 30 page no matter how many spidey panels the 30 page has. With the comforts of both hindsight, and stopping to really look at the #6 page, the ending price doesn't seem so crazy anymore. If the spidey 30 page is more or less market, and I think we pretty much agree there, then I don't see how the #6 page isn't 50k or more. Now I'm sure you know way more about the market on this than me! So I'm not doubting you whatsoever when you mention past sales, but that said, I can TOTALLY see why someone would pay signficantly more for the page from #6.

Judging the pieces on the quality of the artwork and the overall finished quality of the pieces (taking away villains and thematic elements) the #30 page is far more attractive, up close, than the #6.

They are nice examples, both, don't get me wrong. You can't go wrong with a Ditko spidey from year one, or two, or three. However, there are some real, and sometimes drastic, differences in the quality of Ditko's work over time.

From a distance, you may not see the difference, but look at the larger scans of pages from issue #6 and you'll see what I mean.

I'll take your word for it on the finished quality, although I wasn't really commenting on quality, just that taking a better look at the #6 I see why its more desirable.

The #6 is all spidey (very prominent, I can hardly recall a panel page where he is so prominent on the market although just going by loose recollections) with a bit of lizard. #30 is as much JJJ as spidey although some nice action sequences.

As you said, thematic/villain elements :)

Sorry if a Kirby/Sinott FF interior can go for $150K then i really can't see why a top tier page from the earliest Ditko ASM book on the market can't then be $64K. It is also the the 1st app. of this soon to be cinematic villain. I cry every time i think that i used to own pages 16,17 & 18 from this book.

Berk owns/owned an original page from ASM 6......and as awesome as his collection is, THAT is the item of his that I am most envious of. Original art has spaecific appeal and not everyone will care. A choice Ditko page with the Lizard is a piece I would go beyond the restraints of logic to obtain if I had the disposable income. I could see myself going well into six figures for the splash from ASM 6 if my net worth was even 5 million. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I hear ya there. I used to own that JIM 106 page. $15K? Wow!

Sorry if a Kirby/Sinott FF interior can go for $150K then i really can't see why a top tier page from the earliest Ditko ASM book on the market can't then be $64K. It is also the the 1st app. of this soon to be cinematic villain. I cry every time i think that i used to own pages 16,17 & 18 from this book.

ASM 6 pages always commanded a premium, because it is the first issue and there are many fans of the Lizard out there. The upcoming movie doesn't hurt things. 64K seems high, but honestly 50K is where it should be in this market without the movie hype.

Is movie hype really helping drive that page? Do Ditko collectors with nostalgia for a book from the early 60s really care about the upcoming Andrew Garfield movie?

I'm completely disconnected from the Ditko market, but movie hype seems like the type of thing that drives newer art as well as lower-end art (i.e. not $50k panel pages)

The most interesting thing i find is that this page sold 6 months ago on evay for 35 k so someone ending up making some good cash. I expected a sale around 50k.

I think from an importance standpoint the 6 page blows the 30 away. I would rather have a looser key battle page over a cleaner page that isnt a key

James G