• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting things in the May ComicLink Auction

83 posts in this topic

I still have my Ditko ASM #6 page I bought from a boardee :applause: It is my favorite piece.

(before I ever wandered over here, I got it off eBay, if I recall)

I'm guessing you paid a lot less than $64K for it. (thumbs u

I still have my Ditko ASM #6 page I bought from a boardee :applause: It is my favorite piece.

.....this post is useless without pics :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Doug Mahnke Man Who Laughs cover was at one time sold on CLINK for over $6000 and now $4211. Quite a hit .

Could modern artists be and the down while order more established artist are on they way up?

6K was what it took for Doug to part with it. I never really thought if I resold it I would see that amount. I honestly didn't even think it would fetch what it did. I had offered it on the site for 3K. The highest offer I had was less than half the auction price. Between that and the Wolverine cover I just don't think that people check the OA listings on Clink the way they do the auctions.

I personally think a lot of Modern OA is grossly overpriced especially when coming direct from an artist or their rep. of course if you ever really want a piece then you are often stuck paying to get an artist to part with it. Even modern artist I think are great like Finch I just have trouble seeing being a great investment with initial prices being so high. I don't know that much DC an marvel stuff the past 10-15 year is going to pull at nostalgic heart strings the way Lee and Todd M are doing.

It is always difficult when forecasting anything like this. I have an Indiana Jones piece I bought from a gallery. I really love the piece but had thought myself there is no way I will ever get close to what I paid should I ever sell. I've had the piece 3 or 4 years and was talking to the artist on Facebook a few months ago and he mentions. By the way if you need to let that painting go I have someone who has been hounding me about it since it was sold. So you never know what anyone person will be willing to pay.

Great comments - thanks. It will be interesting in 15 years to see how what we call "modern" art is doing. There are certainly some talented artists out there. And in 15-20 years will OA drawn in 2007 still be considered "modern"? Or will it then become "vintage"?

Please explain to me -- the Cap page Tony likes is on the clink site as "sale pending" at 4300 -- in the "for sale" section instead of in the auction. What does that mean?

Most - nearly all - ComicLink auction sales turn up in the exchange section as "sale pending" right after the auction. Check any of the auction listings.

My question is why is that not EVERY auction sale shows up exchange as sale pending? Why just most?

Well - I'll take back much of what I said. I checked a couple of auction items that were sold and they are not on the exchange. So some sold items sold at auction do show up on the exchange, some don't. Anyone in with CLink and can ask?

Please explain to me -- the Cap page Tony likes is on the clink site as "sale pending" at 4300 -- in the "for sale" section instead of in the auction. What does that mean?

Most - nearly all - ComicLink auction sales turn up in the exchange section as "sale pending" right after the auction. Check any of the auction listings.

My question is why is that not EVERY auction sale shows up exchange as sale pending? Why just most?

Well - I'll take back much of what I said. I checked a couple of auction items that were sold and they are not on the exchange. So some sold items sold at auction do show up on the exchange, some don't. Anyone in with CLink and can ask?

I Think if the item was listed in the exchange first and then moved to the auction is shows as sale pending. Thats how it was for my Black Adam Cover

[ I Think if the item was listed in the exchange first and then moved to the auction is shows as sale pending. Thats how it was for my Black Adam Cover

The Black Adam cover was V E R Y nice. I collect only a small amount of OA but that one certainly caught my eye. Grim and gritty for sure.

:D

Sorry, no scanner. :sorry:

The ASM #6 page is already at $34K. Any prognostications on how high it'll go? Solid Spidey images, Lizard appearance (to tie in with the upcoming movie), earliest Spidey art on the market - lots of things that would push this one way up there.

$64,000!!!!! WTF!?!?!?

Question to the folks that were astonished at the $64K closing price - what do you think it should have closed at?

I was surprised by a few other results:

-Kirby JIM 106p17 = $15K

-Colan TOS 94p8 = $5.7K

-Sekowsky WW 179 page for $2.7K (yeah, change in direction, but still, no costume)

-Land Wolverine 55 page = 4.5K

The $64k blows away the public sale price of any Ditko panel page I have seen.

Even on the private sales I have been privy too that's beyond anything short of a half splash or top 5 key page or 1st appearance pages.

I can understand that, however the Ditko ASM 30 page, a less desirable page, sold for $36K in the same auction.

But the $36k page had spidey in costume on 6 of the seven panels. It went within the range of several recent sales...maybe 10% above. Not a sale that moves the data trend to any material amount by any means.

I'm not saying I wasn't surprised as that's more than I've ever seen for a ditko panel page by a large margin (not that I watch too closely), but I have to say the more I look at that Spidey #6 page the more I like it. Its clearly a very signficant upgrade on the spidey 30 page no matter how many spidey panels the 30 page has. With the comforts of both hindsight, and stopping to really look at the #6 page, the ending price doesn't seem so crazy anymore. If the spidey 30 page is more or less market, and I think we pretty much agree there, then I don't see how the #6 page isn't 50k or more. Now I'm sure you know way more about the market on this than me! So I'm not doubting you whatsoever when you mention past sales, but that said, I can TOTALLY see why someone would pay signficantly more for the page from #6.

Judging the pieces on the quality of the artwork and the overall finished quality of the pieces (taking away villains and thematic elements) the #30 page is far more attractive, up close, than the #6.

They are nice examples, both, don't get me wrong. You can't go wrong with a Ditko spidey from year one, or two, or three. However, there are some real, and sometimes drastic, differences in the quality of Ditko's work over time.

From a distance, you may not see the difference, but look at the larger scans of pages from issue #6 and you'll see what I mean.

CC, I took a look at larger scans for both, and I can see what you mean regarding the quality of the work. However, I found the discrepancy to be minor and for me personally, the ASM 6 page resonates far more than the ASM 30 page. Its kind of disheartening to realize this page went for $64K because its yet another data point that reinforces I can no longer afford to purchase a nice Ditko battle page.

Comiclink has two more Ditko pages available in thier upcoming August auction, and it should be interesting to see where the prices go.

...just out of curiousity.....which page is it ? (....you lucky dog)....GOD BLESS...

...just out of curiousity.....which page is it ? (....you lucky dog)....GOD BLESS...

It's page 13, coincidentally the page following the one that just sold on Comiclink.

More fighting between Spidey and the Lizard in the presence of Mrs. Connors.

The lower right corner and a small (tooth :blush: ) hole in panel 4 have been professionally restored

I believe I purchased this from Dan (or one of the other usual suspects) back in '99-2000.

Here is as simple an explanation as I can give -- When an auction item is checked out by the buyer, the item bounces over to the Exchange as a "Sale Pending" as a record of sale (you can also see the results under the Focused Auction tab for a few weeks after the end of the auction). Since all of the buyers' checking out is staggered, all the pieces don't all move over at once. Then, they stay up as "Sale Pending" until we close out the order. Then they disappear from public view. Everything that sells at auction moves over to the Exchange as a "Sale Pending", but the length of time something is up there can vary. Make sense?

:o I actually just got back into town from the weekend last night to find out that I won the Batman 461Cover. I was on a slower internet connection and didn't think my last bid got in there. Actually did lose the Perez B&B cover because my bid took to long to load though :cry:

:o I actually just got back into town from the weekend last night to find out that I won the Batman 461Cover. I was on a slower internet connection and didn't think my last bid got in there. Actually did lose the Perez B&B cover because my bid took to long to load though :cry:

A very cool Breyfogle cover you got !

Wonder who won the Byrne Supergirl...

now that's a piece I'd love to offer a nice trade offer for...

Gal