• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shop grades and slabs their own book...

194 posts in this topic

Ya know, I was there today and saw it also. I thought the font looked really weird but my eyesight is HORRIBLE and I was in a big hurry to check out and leave so it didn't really register.

I really like the guy who owns the shop but that's not the best idea he's ever had! :o

Did they have the grader's notes with it?

No you have to pay them for that... Check the thread: "TGC charging for grading notes now" lol

How lackluster would it be if the "T" in "TGC" stands for "The?" :eek:

Did they have the grader's notes with it?

No you have to pay them for that... Check the thread: "TGC charging for grading notes now" lol

How lackluster would it be if the "T" in "TGC" stands for "The?" :eek:

That's not what it stands for :gossip:

3-2-1 Prepare for impact. No way CGC stands for this (nor should they).

Yup, legal papers forthcoming.

I'm going to take the benifit of doubt and say that I don't think the store is trying to intentionally commit fraud. The owner of the store probably just thought it would be a unique way of advertising his store. (I'm guessing that TGC are the initials to the name of his store).

However, he does need to realise that the label along with the sticker is deceiving to people and he should take it out of the case before a lawyer tells him to.

I'm going to take the benifit of doubt and say that I don't think the store is trying to intentionally commit fraud. The owner of the store probably just thought it would be a unique way of advertising his store. (I'm guessing that TGC are the initials to the name of his store).

However, he does need to realise that the label along with the sticker is deceiving to people and he should take it out of the case before a lawyer tells him to.

I don't think his intention was to be deceptive either, but some people have a hard time thinking how they would feel if the tables were turned.

Imagine how he'd feel if someone used his store name to sell a half arsed product?

Trademark infringement:

Use of a mark has created a likelihood-of-confusion about the origin of the defendant's goods or services. The confusion created can be that the defendant's products are the same as that of the plaintiff, or that the defendant is somehow associated, affiliated, connected, approved, authorized or sponsored by plaintiff.

Um...

They scanned the CGC label and used an editing program to insert their own information while duplicating CGC notes.

And it's not a 1.0. If it's still sealed within the inner well, I'm guessing at one point it was a 0.5

And they kept the CGC hologram on the case.

Oops. :eek:

I don't think his intention was to be deceptive either, but some people have a hard time thinking how they would feel if the tables were turned.

Imagine how he'd feel if someone used his store name to sell a half arsed product?

I agree Roy, If he's smart he will have that case destroyed by the morning. :)

I want to hold off from naming names. Sorry.

There's only one comic shop near Ft. Lauderdale that starts with a "T"

If it's near your home town people will start to assume that TGC stands "T's" Graded Comics.

Probably better to wipe away any chance for confusion.

Saw this there on 'Free Comic Day'.

I don't think fraud is the intent, just a poor decision.

Most likely it wasn't their intent. Their intent isn't at question, really.

It doesn't matter if the end result is confusion to the buying public, and if that confusion is at the expense of an existing product already in the marketplace.

It still looks like infringement to me.

doh!

Just for full disclosure, I'm friends with Tate and his wife so it sucks for me to have this out there and him getting bad press here. It's a GREAT store that's been around forever. I would tell anyone that if you're in South Florida and you DON'T go there, you need to have your head examined :screwy: As long as you aren't looking for HG slabs, they pretty much have something for everyone and all 15 or so of their staff are awesome, helpful, friendly people.

That said, this was NOT a good decision by them. I'm trying to decide if I should wait til morning or make a call right now to discuss removing that FAST hm

doh!

Just for full disclosure, I'm friends with Tate and his wife so it sucks for me to have this out there and him getting bad press here. It's a GREAT store that's been around forever. I would tell anyone that if you're in South Florida and you DON'T go there, you need to have your head examined :screwy: As long as you aren't looking for HG slabs, they pretty much have something for everyone and all 15 or so of their staff are awesome, helpful, friendly people.

That said, this was NOT. Good decision by them. I'm trying to decide if I should wait til morning or make a call right now to discuss removing that FAST hm

Regardless, it's fishy as all hell. What would be the benefit of fake slabbing this book. It's a Scummy move on their part

I have family in Fl and have been there before, never again.