• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos who?

71 posts in this topic

I guess when it comes to an ugly awesomely evil 10 foot tall walnut faced alien badass - all I know is Darkseid... It seems Thanos is Marvel's answer to DC's Darkseid.

Thanos always has been my favorite Marvel villain along with Dr. Doom. I think they represent everything the Marvel U is about, flawed complex villains as well as heroes. Thanos is complex, psychological and deep in a way that other villains outside of Doom never quite captured. There's even a somewhat "tragic" nature to his being.

The absolute BEST. That's Thanos.

Thanos. The thinking man's Darkseid.

I was going to keep away...until this.. :screwy:

What's so   :screwy: ? (shrug)

Thanos' characterisation is far more complex and interesting than Darkseid's.  

:screwy::screwy:

Only like one of the baddest Marvel villains ever. Infinity gauntlet is classic. Thanos quest is classic. Annihilation was a classic story as well. Thanos has stood up to the toughest heroes and has lived to tell the tale. Any character that can stand toe to toe with the Silver surfer is a bad . Loved seeing him in the teaser at the end of a certain movie-spoiler averted hopefully for those not in the know.

DId Thanos have something to do with the Death of Captain Marvel? I seem to recall him being in the Graphic Novel towards the end of the story.

No, Captain Mar-Vell died of cancer. It was as a result of exposure to a chemical that occurred in Captain Marvel 34 during a battle with Nitro.

To add, if I may. Thanos appeared to show respect for a fallen adversary.

DId Thanos have something to do with the Death of Captain Marvel? I seem to recall him being in the Graphic Novel towards the end of the story.

No, Captain Mar-Vell died of cancer. It was as a result of exposure to a chemical that occurred in Captain Marvel 34 during a battle with Nitro.

To add, if I may. Thanos appeared to show respect for a fallen adversary.

The Skrulls as well.  They gave him their highest military honour, in recognition of him being their greatest-ever opponent.  Knowing he was terminally ill, they had the class to put all animosity to one side.

This story is one of the best Marvel has ever published. It's brilliant.

Thanos was dead at the time of the story, and acts as Mar-Vell's guide into the afterlife.   Again, old conflicts made irrelevant. 

Why all the hoopla on this guy?

I must say, I've never read a book with Thanos in or seen him in ANY animation. Why is there such a big fuss, anticipation and price hiking about this guy? If he was this well liked, why didn't he make more appearances?

He was ranked #47 in IGN top 100 villains of all-time, which is pretty good, but behind others such as Sabertooth, Shredder, Doc Ock, Venom, Bullseye, Juggernaut, Mystique, Sinestro, Red Skull, Green Goblin, Two-face, Catwoman, Kingpin, Loki, Doctor Doom, Joker and Magneto, who all made movie appearances.

I don't remember such a large spike in first appearances in any of the other characters after they made movie debuts.

My reading in more old school, pre 1988 or so. So what's the deal with this Thanos fella?

Thanos_(Earth-616).png

Think of him as a cross between Galactus, Doctor Doom, and to borrow from DC, the Joker (crazy even downright suicidal).

Thanos was dead at the time of the story, and acts as Mar-Vell's guide into the afterlife.   Again, old conflicts made irrelevant. 

That's what I remembered. I was not sure if Captain Marvel was walking with Thanos or Death in the last Panel...

I surely heard of him. I used to own quit a few IM #55's. Just never read them.

I will catch up on some Thanos, thanks to all the reference material I've been given. he sounds pretty awesome and I'd love to see a film where the bad villain makes the world surrender and parades about ala Gen Zod in Superman 2.

But lets say Thanos is in Avengers part 2... do the Avengers have any chance of beating him? Does Odin if they get his help? Is Thanos a God? It seems like if we're talking cosmic power, characters like Black Widow, Cap Ap and Hawkeye would be useless in the 2nd movie.

Characters like Thor, the Hulk and Dr. Doom are useless against him. Therein lies the interest.

I was blown away by Avengers annual #7. Just loved it.

That said, Thanos has always bugged me. I've never been satisfied with any good reason that he should be so powerful. None of the other Titans operate at that level. Even as a kid, it felt like Thanos was unstoppable simply because Starlin wanted him to be. Just me, maybe.

Characters like Thor, the Hulk and Dr. Doom are useless against him. Therein lies the interest.

You need to read Thor #25 if you want to see what a Thanos azz-kicking looks like. :headbang:

Actually, I even think the Erik Masterson Thor whipped his azz. :gossip:

As mouth-watering as it is, I just hope that in having Thanos steal the cosmic cube back from Asgard in Avengers 2 that Odin, The Destroyer or Thor don't get punked in the process. :wishluck:

Thanos is one of my Favourite marvel characters.

He is as strong as the Hulk and Thor, if not stronger.

He has the intelligence of Reed Richards, Dr Doom if not even more intelligent.

He has cosmic powers. He has cheated death many times.

He would own Darkseid (might start a riot saying that, lol)

He has prevailed over the marvel universe a few times, he gets bored and lets them off just to amuse himself, so he can then once again try agian, if it's to easy then its no fun.

Thanos Quest is a great read. The first Infinity Gaunlet series is great as well, also his own series he had was quite enjoyable too. The Silver Surfer 34 storyline was good too, love the cover with him and Mephisto.

The Bowen Statue is great to have if you're a fan!

herc

I will catch up on some Thanos, thanks to all the reference material I've been given. he sounds pretty awesome and I'd love to see a film where the bad villain makes the world surrender and parades about ala Gen Zod in Superman 2.

But lets say Thanos is in Avengers part 2... do the Avengers have any chance of beating him? Does Odin if they get his help? Is Thanos a God? It seems like if we're talking cosmic power, characters like Black Widow, Cap Ap and Hawkeye would be useless in the 2nd movie.

Dude got his kicked by Squirrel Girl.

18458-189249-SquirrelGirljpg-620x.jpg

I just wanna know which book introduced us to the Thanos Copter.

The classic Spidey Super Stories 39.

That's the best part about Thanos and the stories he's in - the means to his defeat utilize a wide variety of characters needing to perform talent-specific tasks that come together at the end like a chess match. That's what I've always taken away from the stories and it doesn't no-sell the non-cosmic guys like Spider-man or Cap as being worthless.

Even Cap, with his speech to Thanos in Infinity Gauntlet served a (futile) purpose in Warlock's plan.

That's the best part about Thanos and the stories he's in - the means to his defeat utilize a wide variety of characters needing to perform talent-specific tasks that come together at the end like a chess match. That's what I've always taken away from the stories and it doesn't no-sell the non-cosmic guys like Spider-man or Cap as being worthless.

Even Cap, with his speech to Thanos in Infinity Gauntlet served a (futile) purpose in Warlock's plan.

Yes, well summarized there (thumbs u

That and his inherent flaw that leads to his own downfall. Shakespearean really.

oh, I would love to see the Warlock/Avengers Annual/MTIO Annual come to fruition on the screen... :cloud9: