• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanos who?

71 posts in this topic

Is Thanos a skrull?

No he is a Titan (as Mentor and Starfox are).

There are several classic Thanos stories:

1) Captain Marvel 25-33

2) Warlock 9-15, Marvel two in one annual 2, Av. Ann. 7 (ST 177-180 as well I guess)

3) Silver Surfer 34-50

4) Thanos Quest

5) Infinity Gauntlet 1-6

I remember Infinity Gauntlet as the pinnacle of my fanboy geekness as this was the whole impetus for me to convince my parents to take me to comic speciality shops because I could not buy Infinity Gauntlet at any book store or other newstand outlet.

When I got to the comic store, i bought the first printing of original Captain Marvel v. Thanos trade and Infinity Gauntlet 1 and 2. It was awesome. I read those over and over again.

Eventually I found Thanos Quest (I had missed that as the shop was sold out). Fortunately Silver Surfer was a book that was easy to keep buying right off the stands.

Most of the above are available in trade or in the case of the Warlock stuff, in Masterwork edition.

Thanos always has been my favorite Marvel villain along with Dr. Doom. I think they represent everything the Marvel U is about, flawed complex villains as well as heroes. Thanos is complex, psychological and deep in a way that other villains outside of Doom never quite captured. There's even a somewhat "tragic" nature to his being. I always loved Adam Warlock as a foil to him because he was just as much a tortured soul. Warlock became a cool character though, because of Thanos.

The absolute BEST. That's Thanos.

DId Thanos have something to do with the Death of Captain Marvel? I seem to recall him being in the Graphic Novel towards the end of the story.

No, Captain Mar-Vell died of cancer. It was as a result of exposure to a chemical that occurred in Captain Marvel 34 during a battle with Nitro.

Naw, Warlock was cool because of how Starlin tortured the poor guy in the "In-Betweener" story arc.

One of the greatest story arcs in the history of comics IMO.

Imagine

A villain who is powerful enough to stand toe to toe with any Marvel hero, then add cosmic energy powers, to go along with some of the most amazing technology in the Marvel Universe, and maybe a smidge of black magic.

If that wasn't more than enough to make Thanos perhaps the baddest man in the Marvel Universe, then you have to consider that he is probably the greatest schemer, most intelligent, more knowledgable about the working of the universe, so far beyond the scope of almost every Marvel hero, AND nearly completely evil.

Though he appears to have an measured amount of respect for Adam Warlock, I would say no other creature (not even Warlock) in the universe could or should trust him. He has really only been stopped by his own subconscious, as deep down, he believes himself unworthy to hold Ultimate/Infinite power.

(worship)

And to respond to the thread creator...prices always spike when a major character is announced for mainstream movie magic. Just look back at all of the other books that skyrocketed in price (and later took a nose dive) simply due to movie anticipation: X-Men #101, Iron Man #282, Batman #232, Daredevil #168. Iron Man #55 is just the current HOT book. The only ones that have never really come back down in price are Hulk #181 and ASM #129 as there's enough interest in those characters to keep prices going up without any specific reason.

He was ranked #47 in IGN top 100 villains of all-time, which is pretty good, but behind others such as Sabertooth, Shredder, Doc Ock, Venom, Bullseye, Juggernaut, Mystique, Sinestro, Red Skull, Green Goblin, Two-face, Catwoman, Kingpin, Loki, Doctor Doom, Joker and Magneto, who all made movie appearances.

Very underrated in the IGN poll.  I was quite surprised.

Let me go a step further...IGN doesn't know what the :censored: they're talking about. :sumo:

(First time I ever used those two greamlins, I think... hm )

I guess when it comes to an ugly awesomely evil 10 foot tall walnut faced alien badass - all I know is Darkseid... It seems Thanos is Marvel's answer to DC's Darkseid.

Thanos always has been my favorite Marvel villain along with Dr. Doom. I think they represent everything the Marvel U is about, flawed complex villains as well as heroes. Thanos is complex, psychological and deep in a way that other villains outside of Doom never quite captured. There's even a somewhat "tragic" nature to his being.

Thanos. The thinking man's Darkseid.

I guess when it comes to an ugly awesomely evil 10 foot tall walnut faced alien badass - all I know is Darkseid... It seems Thanos is Marvel's answer to DC's Darkseid.

Thanos always has been my favorite Marvel villain along with Dr. Doom. I think they represent everything the Marvel U is about, flawed complex villains as well as heroes. Thanos is complex, psychological and deep in a way that other villains outside of Doom never quite captured. There's even a somewhat "tragic" nature to his being.

I was going to keep away...until this.. :screwy:

I surely heard of him. I used to own quit a few IM #55's. Just never read them.

I will catch up on some Thanos, thanks to all the reference material I've been given. he sounds pretty awesome and I'd love to see a film where the bad villain makes the world surrender and parades about ala Gen Zod in Superman 2.

But lets say Thanos is in Avengers part 2... do the Avengers have any chance of beating him? Does Odin if they get his help? Is Thanos a God? It seems like if we're talking cosmic power, characters like Black Widow, Cap Ap and Hawkeye would be useless in the 2nd movie.

I will catch up on some Thanos, thanks to all the reference material I've been given. he sounds pretty awesome and I'd love to see a film where the bad villain makes the world surrender and parades about ala Gen Zod in Superman 2.

But lets say Thanos is in Avengers part 2... do the Avengers have any chance of beating him? Does Odin if they get his help? Is Thanos a God? It seems like if we're talking cosmic power, characters like Black Widow, Cap Ap and Hawkeye would be useless in the 2nd movie.

People on this forum thought that the Black Widow would be useless in the 1st movie but she proved to be quite useful in many ways, including bringing Barton back to reality, providing intel and also infiltrating.

Whatever they do I'm betting it's going to be great.

People on this forum thought that the Black Widow would be useless in the 1st movie but she proved to be quite useful in many ways, including bringing Barton back to reality, providing intel and also infiltrating.

Whatever they do I'm betting it's going to be great.

If Thanos gets the Infinity Gauntlet then then they're all doomed. Personally I'd like to see Avengers 2 end on a very down note like Empire Strikes Back where everyone's like "Oh , Thanos just pwn'd them all."

Thanos can dance & sing like there's no tomorrow.

Gawd......, finally someone who understands. doh!

Guess this is the thread to ask this one..

Ok so i just read the Dark Pheonix saga from the Masterworks series cause i wanted to know how powerful she was,something that was nonexistant in the 3rd X-men film.

A stunning read.

And ive been reading a lot on Galactus ( the devourer of planets )also.

Then this character pops up and everyone in here keeps refering to the Infinity Gauntlet,so i decided to take a peek at the net's Cliff notes (Wikipedia )

and read the plot summary...

Infinity Gems,nice

Time,space,mind ,soul,reality and power,hard to beat this story isnt it ?

it gets better,he kills half of sentient life in the universe..this is getting jaw-dropping folks

He defeats and imprisons several entities including Galactus AND a few others...

Holy Steven Spielberg,defeated Galactus alone is worth the whole story.. :o

so anyways the story goes on to attain grandscale epic proportions that have to the best of my knowledge rarely been seen right ? (worship)

and then this.. (shrug)

Thanos then appears to commit suicide, but actually retreats to a farm to contemplate his loss.

Huh ? what's that ?

I'm sorry come again ?

...retreats to a FARM ????? :facepalm:

what is he,like tending rabbits like Lennie and George ?

Dont get me wrong,this character is total badass,just that whole farm thing caught me off guard.

I cant wait to read this.

Guess this is the thread to ask this one..

Ok so i just read the Dark Pheonix saga from the Masterworks series cause i wanted to know how powerful she was,something that was nonexistant in the 3rd X-men film.

A stunning read.

And ive been reading a lot on Galactus ( the devourer of planets )also.

Then this character pops up and everyone in here keeps refering to the Infinity Gauntlet,so i decided to take a peek at the net's Cliff notes (Wikipedia )

and read the plot summary...

Infinity Gems,nice

Time,space,mind ,soul,reality and power,hard to beat this story isnt it ?

it gets better,he kills half of sentient life in the universe..this is getting jaw-dropping folks

He defeats and imprisons several entities including Galactus AND a few others...

Holy Steven Spielberg,defeated Galactus alone is worth the whole story.. :o

so anyways the story goes on to attain grandscale epic proportions that have to the best of my knowledge rarely been seen right ? (worship)

and then this.. (shrug)

Thanos then appears to commit suicide, but actually retreats to a farm to contemplate his loss.

Huh ? what's that ?

I'm sorry come again ?

...retreats to a FARM ????? :facepalm:

what is he,like tending rabbits like Lennie and George ?

Dont get me wrong,this character is total badass,just that whole farm thing caught me off guard.

I cant wait to read this.

lol yes, and retreating to the simplest existence is exactly the counter to what he was doing previously.

Reading up on Wiki….

Wishing to impress Mistress Death, Thanos gathers an army of villainous aliens and begins a nuclear bombardment of Titan that kills millions of his race.[6] He then travels to Earth in search of the Cosmic Cube. Prior to landing, his vessel destroys a nearby car to prevent anyone from becoming aware of his existence.[7] Unknown to Thanos, two of the family members in the vehicle survive—the father's spirit is preserved by the Titanian cosmic entity Chronos and is given a new form as Drax the Destroyer while the daughter is found by Thanos' father Mentor and is raised to become the heroine Moondragon. Thanos eventually locates the Cube and wills it to make him omnipotent. Captain Marvel, with the aid of Mantis and ISAAC, are able to defeat him by destroying the cube, which Thanos had left unguarded.

One theory could be that the Chitauri were these "villainous aliens" that Thanos gathered to attack Earth, in search of the already prominent cosmic cube (tesseract). From here, I can see Drax and Moondragon being introduced in the next movie, but they seem less likely than the other Thanos-related heroes.

I was going to keep away...until this.. :screwy:

What's so   :screwy: ? (shrug)

Thanos' characterisation is far more complex and interesting than Darkseid's.  

In Starlin's Captain Marvel storyline, featuring the initial apperance's of Thanos, he makes a pretty good first impression.

While wooing Mistress Death, he kills millions of people on his homeworld Titan, and uses the Cosmic Cube to turn himself into a 'God'.

THAT's a villian.