• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charges for grading notes from CGC.

5 posts in this topic

Anyone understand why it should cost differently for grading notes from CGC depending on the tier the book was graded in? Does it require 6 times as much work to find the notes from a walkthrough as it does for economy/modern? I've called them in the past and they offered this info for free. If the notes are already in a database, I should just be able to look them up on their website if I am a member. I believe they recently raised their prices also. These guys already have a lot of our money. Just sayin'

They had to cover the new costs incurred by installing the toilet paper

dispensers in the government required unisex/nosex/whatissex bathrooms.

Paper dispenser has to be at all heights, all sides, and have a safety warning

label on the outside and inside.

The coffee pot and folding chairs in the employee lounge were borrowed

from Greggy on his last visit to Florida [ see thread eg : Greggy, drunk again ].

Anyone understand why it should cost differently for grading notes from CGC depending on the tier the book was graded in? Does it require 6 times as much work to find the notes from a walkthrough as it does for economy/modern? [/quote

The obvious answer is that CGC is now looking for a way to make money on the reselling of the books they grade. Up until now, they have only made $$ when they graded and slabbed books. Now they see a chance to "monetize" their grading notes whenever the books are resold.

No - it does not cost them 6x more to pull up the notes on a walkthrough versus a modern. But business' (and even individuals) often don't sell stuff at prices that are based on the costs. Especially if what you are selling isn't available from somewhere else. It gets priced at what it is worth to the customer. Collectors that purchased an AF 15 for $1100 in the 1980's don't sell them for a bit more than they paid. They sell for what they can get someone to pay.

The notes on a walk through - books typically something worth 3K or more - are worth a lot more to the buyer than the notes on a $100 modern. So CGC charges more.

I'm not saying I like it nor am defending it. I think it's a short sighted business decision that - along with price and fee increases - opens the door to competitors. I am just answering your question.