• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

what is all the talk about how he runs his auction process....is this for real or are people upset that he had the best marvel collection on the planet earth......

Mitch, you might want to stay in the GA forum. It's about to get hot in here.

There are many stories that you have no clue about...

I live in california...what do you expect...CLUE me in on your opinion of HOW he got the best collection in the world..marvel that is...please

Second best collection.

I live in california...what do you expect...CLUE me in on your opinion of HOW he got the best collection in the world..marvel that is...please

I expect a lot more from the King Of Comics.

One of the biggest scandals in comics in the last ten years and the King Of Comics doesn't know about it? lol

These books are incredibly special. Doug is a very friendly guy and I enjoy talking comics with him. He paid a high price for his past transgressions and does not deserve to be permanently ostracized from this community because his sanctions in the legal profession are a matter of public record. Enjoy these books, this auction, and the great things that have been happening in our hobby.

I do agree that at some point a person should be forgiven. I saw a lot of people claiming to be religious in a deleted thread recently in CG....isnt the belief to forgive? hm

I fell into the Doug Schmell madness when I joined a few years ago. I bought some books from him, made some comments about him not being a bad guy and I was jumped, thrown out back and beaten. :).

The fact is many here have some serious issues with him and I don't see that changing any time soon.

These books are incredibly special. Doug is a very friendly guy and I enjoy talking comics with him. He paid a high price for his past transgressions and does not deserve to be permanently ostracized from this community because his sanctions in the legal profession are a matter of public record. Enjoy these books, this auction, and the great things that have been happening in our hobby.

Actually, if he'd learned from his legal transgressions and not continued being a shyster in the comics arena, there'd be a lot more sympathy for him. :/

I do think it's a little much to boycott these auctions. As others have mentioned, these are beautiful books, many of which are from pedigree collections, and they deserve good homes.

get me up to speed give me a two paragraph update....pls

Trying to get restored (trimmed) books past CGC.

Allegations that he shills his own auctions.

Actually, if he'd learned from his legal transgressions and not continued being a shyster in the comics arena, there'd be a lot more sympathy for him. :/

Add to that he's offered no remorse for the JIM re-sub, and the pedigree auction shenanigans, and it's clear we have someone who has never changed his tune.

Lets just say it is a lot easier to obtain fantastic books when you illegally borrow money from your clients to pay for them. It again gets easier when you use money obtained by helping clients avoid court ordered child support payments and the like.

Stop living in the past and smell todays coffee. You often come off like the forty year old guy bragging about his high school football exploits.

I'm fairly sure I never paid four times the going rate for anything, but if I did, I'm certain I wouldn't be bragging about four decades later.

I can't believe the message board theories, although it is entertaining. While reading through this thread I can't help sense the jealousy, pettiness and poor business sense many posters possess.

You must do a better job of understanding the known facts and history before you stick your neck out like this. lol

I can't believe the message board theories, although it is entertaining. While reading through this thread I can't help sense the jealousy, pettiness and poor business sense many posters possess.

You must do a better job of understanding the known facts and history before you stick your neck out like this. lol

Nah, it's more fun this way.

Plus, he's trying to get in Doug's pants.

I'm not apologizing for Doug. I'm just of the opinion that its senseless to question his reasoning for consigning his books to Heritage. I also find it slightly ridiculous that there is such extreme hostility toward the books themselves (with people refusing to bid on, or even watch, the auction) because of the character history of the consignor. These books are arguably the finest examples in existence. Once sold and resold, should the books be avoided and ignored because Doug once owned them? Should we ignore every book previously sold on Pedigree's site because they were once sold through Doug's company? It just makes no sense. This is a hobby about collecting funny books, and some of the comments in this thread just seem to miss the mark.

I'm not apologizing for Doug. I'm just of the opinion that its senseless to question his reasoning for consigning his books to Heritage. I also find it slightly ridiculous that there is such extreme hostility toward the books themselves (with people refusing to bid on, or even watch, the auction) because of the character history of the consignor. These books are arguably the finest examples in existence. Once sold and resold, should the books be avoided and ignored because Doug once owned them? Should we ignore every book previously sold on Pedigree's site because they were once sold through Doug's company? It just makes no sense. This is a hobby about collecting funny books, and some of the comments in this thread just seem to miss the mark.

:popcorn: Personally I think he's a lowlife piece of sheit.

It makes plenty of sense.

Any financial gain on these books will go directly to Doug...not the 84 year old grandmother who unwittingly financed them.

Boycott them now...bid on them later.

I also find it slightly ridiculous that there is such extreme hostility toward the books themselves (with people refusing to bid on, or even watch, the auction) because of the character history of the consignor.

Speaking for myself Josh, it's a personal decision and this being a discussion board, others are willing to express similar opinions too.

To take folk to task for expressing their personal decisions - especially when they are well-articulated and not just some 'burn the witch' pitchfork group mentality - is what I would find ridiculous.

Good luck with your bids.

It makes plenty of sense.

Any financial gain on these books will go directly to Doug...not the 84 year old grandmother who unwittingly financed them.

Boycott them now...bid on them later.

Ideally I would agree, but there's no way any of these books will actually sell cheaply, based on principle.

Ultimately, he paid a steep price for his transgressions, and presumably, the people who he cheated were made whole through the proper legal channels. He does own the books; he financed them with his disbarment