• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Oh, and if it hasn't already been mentioned to the OP...

The word is 'vaunted'. :/

This is the only thing I cared about in the thread.

Thanks F_T! Looking forward to your upcoming drunks!

:headbang:

Doug's statement was that it was only because of a conflict of interest that he gave the books to Heritage.

I did an internet search on that, and one word came up:

Disingenuous.

I can't believe the message board theories, although it is entertaining. While reading through this thread I can't help sense the jealousy, pettiness and poor business sense many posters possess.

This is one of the finest collections I've ever seen and when I held that 9.6 Fantastic Four #1 and rifled through the boxes of this collection with Doug I never felt more excited to see the best of the best. Rumours and the like, aside. I enjoyed hanging out with Doug and wish him the best of luck on the auction. I think it'll be a record breaking haul.

I don't even know why I am bothering to explain this but did you ever think for a moment that Doug's public statement makes it a win, win situation for everyone? Can you put yourself in Doug's shoes for just one moment. How many big bidders would shy away from bidding in an auction simply because they are uneasy that the owner of these great books is the one running the show from behind the scenes? Hello!

I said this earlier. The speculation with his own site would take away from the success of the auction

I can't believe the message board theories, although it is entertaining. While reading through this thread I can't help sense the jealousy, pettiness and poor business sense many posters possess.

This is one of the finest collections I've ever seen and when I held that 9.6 Fantastic Four #1 and rifled through the boxes of this collection with Doug I never felt more excited to see the best of the best. Rumours and the like, aside. I enjoyed hanging out with Doug and wish him the best of luck on the auction. I think it'll be a record breaking haul.

They're not 'theories'. They are proven.

Forget 'rumours', investigate the facts.

And if you wish to remain blind to reality, continue kissing arse. (thumbs u

What's entertaining is someone who joined these boards a few months ago thinking he knows what's what. Shills are also entertaining, as is the fact that you'd probably go down on Doug if he asked you nicely.

Here's the thing, he lives around NYC, right? You do realize that it takes a minimum of $100,000 a year to live like a human being anywhere around here (and really more like $300K if you have a family) unless you're 22 and cool with sharing a place with 4 other guys/gals, right? (And then you don't notice it because you're wasted 5 nights a week.) We barely scrape by on twice that. Seriously, Archie Bunker's house would cost $750K-$1 million now. The "King of Queens" house would be $600-$800K. Monica's apartment on "Friends" would run about $5500 a month. The "Everybody Loves Raymond" house might be pushing seven figures. Aunt May's house would be about $700-$900K (and if she's in Forest Hills Gardens, over a million.) How anyone in the middle class can afford to live here unless they have already made a killing in the real estate market (like I did) is beyond me.

So, honestly, a 50something disbarred attorney who sells comics on the internet for a living being forced to sell off his better stuff in order to maintain his lifestyle shouldn't be all that shocking. You need to sell/consign a heck of a lot of good comics to be pulling in over $100K steadily.

Living like a human being on 300K in NYC?? Possibly...

only if the kids are attending public school.

what is all the talk about how he runs his auction process....is this for real or are people upset that he had the best marvel collection on the planet earth......

For the King Of Comics, you're unbelievably clueless as to how this collection was compiled. :/

what is all the talk about how he runs his auction process....is this for real or are people upset that he had the best marvel collection on the planet earth......

Second best marvel collection.

678 books= guess 2.5 Mil??? or am I low....

I think you're high...............I think that a lot. :P

As much as I'd like to see a guy with poor morales and ethics get the shaft.......

he will do pretty good.

X-Men #1

JIM #83

and TOS #39 all have a chance at $500,000 each

Hell Avengers #1 could get that too.

Remeber, there are boardies here who will buy from anyone at anytime if they think they are making out. Not to mention all the deep pocket guys who are unaware (or don't care) about the personality a comic book owner has.

For whatever the reason is he is selling, now is the best time to sell since 2007.

678 books= guess 2.5 Mil??? or am I low....

Low. The keys alone will probably be close to that.