• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

While I realize I have a vested interest in the market AND I'm relatively new compared to some I believe that tops are only tops in hindsight.

There can be many other underlying factors here besides just the possibility that Doug wants to cash in. Doug has sold his collection over numerous times from what I understand.

Most people can relate to this: there are people who don't want to cash in but NEED to cash in. That could be one factor.

Who knows? People have been calling for the top or crash of the market since the first comic sold over cover price, and most of the collectors that have been around here for more than 20 years will confirm that.

This is a good statement. While I do think we are in a 'bit' of a 'speculative' market personally, there are a lot worse collecting fields you could be 'investing' in right now.

To my knowledge I thought Doug had sold a collection of a high grade Marvel's run before if I am not mistaken? What I find interesting is that he went with Heritage, rather than attempting to sell them through his own website. This gives a lot of credence to Heritage; in my opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Wow, I just realized my 10-year anniversary on the boards was earlier this week, I'm getting old! :o

Happy Anniversary, Banner!

aa-108.gif

Thanks! :headbang:

The Gator FB team needs to turn it around next year. :wishluck:

They won't. :gossip:

:applause:

Neither will any National Championships come your way so I wouldn't be so happy, jackazz.

You're out of your mind.

You won one with bogus eligible running back and a fortunate call in OT so suck it.

Re-watch the UM/OSU game, UM had a call go their way, scored and then the game went into overtime. :sumo:

Verbal test for your running back to make him eligible! meh

He's gone now. Athletes all over the country get plenty of special treatment, not enough get caught.

:screwy:

doh!

While I realize I have a vested interest in the market AND I'm relatively new compared to some I believe that tops are only tops in hindsight.

There can be many other underlying factors here besides just the possibility that Doug wants to cash in. Doug has sold his collection over numerous times from what I understand.

Most people can relate to this: there are people who don't want to cash in but NEED to cash in. That could be one factor.

Who knows? People have been calling for the top or crash of the market since the first comic sold over cover price, and most of the collectors that have been around here for more than 20 years will confirm that.

This is a good statement. While I do think we are in a 'bit' of a 'speculative' market personally, there are a lot worse collecting fields you could be 'investing' in right now.

To my knowledge I thought Doug had sold a collection of a high grade Marvel's run before if I am not mistaken? What I find interesting is that he went with Heritage, rather than attempting to sell them through his own website. This gives a lot of credence to Heritage; in my opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

No, not necessarily.

It does, however, give credence to the thought that Doug's shenanigans have finally come home to roost.

As I have predicted from DAY One 2012 will be a record year........... HERE IS MY TAKE ON THE SALE:

Doug Schmell worked hard to get, in my opinion, one of the 3 best marvel collections quality wise in the world.If you read his web site he sold the collection thru HA.COM to not create a conflict of interest with his web site. I find that statement hard to believe when you to the vault section and see the number of books that he has sold in the past. He does give ha.com's market ability also as a reason, and I tend to believe that is real reason behind his choice not to sell them himself.

Doug Schmell knows the market, knows about quality books and was the "man" when he spent the bucks to get the best possible material. I have been saying this on the boards for a long long time. Buy CGC, Buy top grade. He had the right plan and now he wants that plan to pay off and it will.

But there is a LOT of upside to go on the mega-keys and when this is gonna shake out the TOP 20 most expensive books in the hobby...probably 8 or more will be marvel. Expect world record prices in this auction with a lot of action from FOREIGN buyers as well as new investment groups and wealthy individuals. This sale is GREAT for comic book fandom, Great for collectors, and great for Ha and Doug. It's a Win Win for everybody.

It is a good time to buy and a good time to sell. I would upgrade like he did if you are a marvel collector and sell you lessor condition copies probably on Ha.com.

Doug knows that 2012 is a unique year in comic book history.....his sale shows that he agrees with my opinion.

Think about this -- he would have to believe HA could do 30% or better than his own site for this to make sense. Does pedigree play in a different market than HA? It seems like a condemnation of his own site.

Doug's reputation has taken some deserved heavy hits over the years. It wouldn't surprise me if business is deservedly bad.

However, with the goods he's holding, he won't be paying 30%. :/

I imagine the value of Heritage's marketing will offset the 10-15% he'll end of paying in commission fees.

i suspected it would be close to 10%, glad to see that somewhat confirmed by someone that knows what they are talking about

I suppose you could ask the children who were denied their rightful child support or the old women who lived in squalor while dougie used their money to buy his collection if they feel like they were victims of theft or was it just wrongful borrowing.

It might be a question of the law but when someone borrows something that doesn't belong to them, to me that person is a thief.

Its also my understanding that at least one of the woman who Doug "borrowed" from died before his "borrowing" was discovered, so how she was ever made whole is beyond me.

Anyway, none of this matters when compared to his truly fantastic collection so I'm done.

The more I think about this I believe you are correct.

word is out of florida that he is in big debt and owes tons of money on loans.

One would have a hard time believing that he says he doesn't want to sell the books on his website due to a conflict of interest, but he has no problem selling hundreds of other books he owns (bought and upgraded) on his website via auction that were not part of his collection. Mind you, these books he sells by jacking up the high bidders' high bid to its absolute max that he can only see in the auction process.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Call me stupid if you will, but here is how I see it, FWIW.

I believe Mr.Schmell is using Heritage to sell his books because Heritage still has a relatively good name.

It is no secret that in the past, books sold on Schmell's website have been 'sold' only to appear again and again immediately, not because they were being flipped. This ergo has raised doubts about the validity and genuine-ness of his auctions. So its a no-brainer for Mr.S to realise the best price for his books at a neutral venue.

I have read many many pages about the activities of Mr. Schmell, thanks to these forums. My conclusion is that I would never buy a book from him. I would never sell a book through him. Would I call him a criminal based on his activities in the legal profession?

Yes I would. :sorry:

Why are so many people shocked that Doug is using Heritage as a venue for his books? Their client base is enormous, they spend more money marketing auctions than anyone else and they have by far the best online bidding system in the market. :facepalm:

because that would be a boringly rational explanation and there are so many better inflammatory conspiracy theories available to dredge up from whole cloth

Why are so many people shocked that Doug is using Heritage as a venue for his books? Their client base is enormous, they spend more money marketing auctions than anyone else and they have by far the best online bidding system in the market. :facepalm:

because that would be a boringly rational explanation and there are so many better inflammatory conspiracy theories available to dredge up from whole cloth

Good point! :grin:

Wow, I just realized my 10-year anniversary on the boards was earlier this week, I'm getting old! :o

Happy Anniversary, Banner!

aa-108.gif

Thanks! :headbang:

The Gator FB team needs to turn it around next year. :wishluck:

They won't. :gossip:

:applause:

Neither will any National Championships come your way so I wouldn't be so happy, jackazz.

Ahh...feels like old times. :cloud9:

I think people agree that Doug made a good decision to go with Heritage, but that is not what Doug's statement has been.

Doug's statement was that it was only because of a conflict of interest that he gave the books to Heritage. To state otherwise would basically be an admission that Heritage is better than Pedigreecomics.com. Then what does he tell potential consignors to his site? That Pedigreecomics.com is the way to go to sell your books? But the potential consignor could say "but Doug, you admitted Heritage is better because you sold YOUR books through them. Why shouldn't I go to them also?"

The statement also doesn't fly when you think about all the books he buys and sells of his own on his website that he upgrades from shows. He owns those books and they are on his site. Why is that not a conflict of interest when they are up for auction on his site and people bid on them?

As I have predicted from DAY One 2012 will be a record year........... HERE IS MY TAKE ON THE SALE:

Doug Schmell worked hard to get, in my opinion, one of the 3 best marvel collections quality wise in the world.If you read his web site he sold the collection thru HA.COM to not create a conflict of interest with his web site. I find that statement hard to believe when you to the vault section and see the number of books that he has sold in the past. He does give ha.com's market ability also as a reason, and I tend to believe that is real reason behind his choice not to sell them himself.

Doug Schmell knows the market, knows about quality books and was the "man" when he spent the bucks to get the best possible material. I have been saying this on the boards for a long long time. Buy CGC, Buy top grade. He had the right plan and now he wants that plan to pay off and it will.

But there is a LOT of upside to go on the mega-keys and when this is gonna shake out the TOP 20 most expensive books in the hobby...probably 8 or more will be marvel. Expect world record prices in this auction with a lot of action from FOREIGN buyers as well as new investment groups and wealthy individuals. This sale is GREAT for comic book fandom, Great for collectors, and great for Ha and Doug. It's a Win Win for everybody.

It is a good time to buy and a good time to sell. I would upgrade like he did if you are a marvel collector and sell you lessor condition copies probably on Ha.com.

Doug knows that 2012 is a unique year in comic book history.....his sale shows that he agrees with my opinion.

Think about this -- he would have to believe HA could do 30% or better than his own site for this to make sense. Does pedigree play in a different market than HA? It seems like a condemnation of his own site.

there is little to no chance Doug is giving up whatever % of the final sale you think he's giving up.

That's why I was wondering what the "deal" was on the auction. We know Heritage will work with consignors (depneding on what they're bringing to the table). No chance Doug is giving up the consignment fee + the auction vig.

Oh, and that JIM that Bob posted is a ridiculous book.

I don't even know why I am bothering to explain this but did you ever think for a moment that Doug's public statement makes it a win, win situation for everyone? Can you put yourself in Doug's shoes for just one moment. How many big bidders would shy away from bidding in an auction simply because they are uneasy that the owner of these great books is the one running the show from behind the scenes? Hello!