• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Comic book fanatic's prized collection to fetch a staggering $3million at auction

Excerpt from the article:

'The stories I could tell you of meeting at diners and post offices in Northern New Jersey, at office buildings and street corners in New York City to obtain that missing issue or coveted upgrade would blow your mind.

'My favourite has to be the 9.8 X-Men first edition. I love that whole run of comics and to own one in such perfect condition is rare.

'I sincerely hope the collectors who buy some of my books can enjoy them even half as much as I have.'

This whole thing makes me want to vomit up a fortnight's worth of dinner.

He paid for the books with the money stolen from an 84 year old grand-mother, for fekk's sake. :facepalm:

I've asked this before.

Has this been proven? I thought the clients were paid back. Otherwise, he would have been in jail for theft or would have a judgement against him and he will need to pay it back.

I'm not defending the guy at all. However, when I see such blanket statements like this FT and so far no one has produced evidence that this is a fact...I want to know more information before forming a conclusion.

Do you have a link or somewhere it says or proves he stole the money from his clients, bought comics with it, never paid the money back and is now profiting from it?

It's a huge accusation and I'd like to know where it has been proven true.

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/appellate-division-first-department/2006/2006-00326.html

Thanks Mike. That's pretty horrible evidence of his bad decisions as an attorney.

But does that show "He paid for the books with the money stolen from an 84 year old grand-mother, for fekk's sake. :face palm: " that FT said?

hm I am not sure. I believe it only said it went into his personal funds. Maybe he donated it to Comics4Kids.

Comic book fanatic's prized collection to fetch a staggering $3million at auction

Excerpt from the article:

'The stories I could tell you of meeting at diners and post offices in Northern New Jersey, at office buildings and street corners in New York City to obtain that missing issue or coveted upgrade would blow your mind.

'My favourite has to be the 9.8 X-Men first edition. I love that whole run of comics and to own one in such perfect condition is rare.

'I sincerely hope the collectors who buy some of my books can enjoy them even half as much as I have.'

This whole thing makes me want to vomit up a fortnight's worth of dinner.

He paid for the books with the money stolen from an 84 year old grand-mother, for fekk's sake. :facepalm:

I've asked this before.

Has this been proven? I thought the clients were paid back. Otherwise, he would have been in jail for theft or would have a judgement against him and he will need to pay it back.

I'm not defending the guy at all. However, when I see such blanket statements like this FT and so far no one has produced evidence that this is a fact...I want to know more information before forming a conclusion.

Do you have a link or somewhere it says or proves he stole the money from his clients, bought comics with it, never paid the money back and is now profiting from it?

It's a huge accusation and I'd like to know where it has been proven true.

http://law.justia.com/cases/new-york/appellate-division-first-department/2006/2006-00326.html

Thanks Mike. That's pretty horrible evidence of his bad decisions as an attorney.

But does that show "He paid for the books with the money stolen from an 84 year old grand-mother, for fekk's sake. :face palm: " that FT said?

hm I am not sure. I believe it only said it went into his personal funds. Maybe he donated it to Comics4Kids.

:roflmao:

funniest post of the day

Ha. Con is not gonna wave the Bp which is 19% for sure , but good chance any additional fees prob got waived. Still 20% of 3 mill is not a bad days work .

Heritage negotiates fees on much lower priced items. I negotiated with them on a low 5 figure book I sold through them several years back.

Your inane facts cannot deter Mighty Mitch!

my guess is doug is getting a piece of the BP...single digit, but a piece none the less...

Like Rick said, I have no doubt Schmell is getting 0% seller's premium and a cut of the BP (probably around 5%). HA does this with big money collections

Ha. Con is not gonna wave the Bp which is 19% for sure , but good chance any additional fees prob got waived. Still 20% of 3 mill is not a bad days work .

The Dunning-Kruger effect defined.

lol ... (worship)

I only know one other person who would rate higher. hm

Heritage negotiates fees on much lower priced items. I negotiated with them on a low 5 figure book I sold through them several years back.

Your inane facts cannot deter Mighty Mitch!

my guess is doug is getting a piece of the BP...single digit, but a piece none the less...

Like Rick said, I have no doubt Schmell is getting 0% seller's premium and a cut of the BP (probably around 5%). HA does this with big money collections

without a doubt

I just learned something. Thank you.

450K tops, there are 2 9.8 "s on cgc unlike the FF1, The TOS 39 will go higher. [/quote

You never know. You might run across a demented ego maniac who thinks paying three or four times the going rate will somehow make him an authority on things. History has shown that there are always a few people long on cash but short on brains.

shadroch:

I have been very lucky to be at the real birth of comic book collecting fandom, and "seen stuff you people would not believe "( see blade runner/roy batty/ roof). 50 years of being both a collector and a dealer does not mean I was long on cash.....but long on being a true comic book collector....and you SIR....

Having read this post over several days.. and all the :censored: complaining about this and that..

how many of you are just going to put the wood to the fire and BUY not because of who the owner is but they these are the finest ( hm ) Marvel books ever to be offered?

:baiting:

I certainly won't, and hopefully there will be enough people with similar feeling so that these books don't bring in as much as they would if the seller wasn't such a POS. I'd also dispute these are the finest Marvels ever offered. Many, if not most of these books have been enhanced using methods others disprove of. I'm sure there are plenty of label chasers who won't see past the 9.8 label, but many will recall that some of these books started out in his collection as 9.2s and such, and have had the hobby equivalent of plastic surgery.

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor too, but many people seem to have moved on through the years and enjoy buying their quality electronics.

There's a bit of difference between the notion of great nations and people putting a war behind them, and the idea that individuals get a pass while profiting on the very items they transgressed to obtain in the first place. It would be a better comparison if Tojo was alive and selling his wartime souvenirs.

That said, I think it's a slippery slope to try to get other people to punish books or auction houses based on seller's behavior, because it could 1) hurt the hobby itself if price points reflect emotional attitudes and agendas rather than real value and 2) there's enornmous potential for abuse in that idea, especially if people set out to punish the books initially to get them low and then declare them rehabilitated once they have passed into the hands of secondary owners.

I think the other question, about whether this is truly the greatest possible collection, may be a valid one. Especially if you're talking about a percentage of collectors who value the virgin-ness of a book above all else. And, automatically, if you're talking about the uniqueness of label numbers which are things that never existed on these books until those labels were manufactored. Regardless of how much faith you have in the grading, one should take into account what other copies might be out there. It's safe to say, however, that it would very difficult and costly to assemble a collection like this, slabbed or unslabbed,

The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor too, but many people seem to have moved on through the years and enjoy buying their quality electronics.

There's a bit of difference between the notion of great nations and people putting a war behind them, and the idea that individuals get a pass while profiting on the very items they transgressed to obtain in the first place. It would be a better comparison if Tojo was alive and selling his wartime souvenirs.

Without a doubt your comparison is far better and more eloquently put than mine. I just had a minute to post, sick of the nagging and ragging and excited for the auction.

All of us have our own versions of skeletons, varying in different degrees and have done or will do moronic inconsiderate things to get a sale.

Doug has one helleva unique collection, comprised of so many coveted Pedigrees - its going to be a fun auction to partake in or watch from the sidelines. I think it will be viewed as a historic CGC collection and a historic sale by future funny book readers and collectors. Thats all.

Without a doubt your comparison is far better and more eloquently put than mine. I just had a minute to post, sick of the nagging and ragging and excited for the auction.

All of us have our own versions of skeletons, varying in different degrees and have done or will do moronic inconsiderate things to get a sale.

Doug has one helleva unique collection, comprised of so many coveted Pedigrees - its going to be a fun auction to partake in or watch from the sidelines. I think it will be viewed as a historic CGC collection and sale for future funny book readers and collectors. Thats all.

Agreed. It's a great collection. I am just hoping the people hyping it will be able to stick to hyping this without feeling the need to slander and misrepresent anything that doesn't have a high number blue label (or should I say 'BLUE GOLD"?) label as being shiite. When that happens me feels much like making clear what 'ither may be shiite.