• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

So? Does anyone have anything to add about the Mass collection being pressed between 1993-2000?

Another myth destroyed. This was PMd to me by a poster who shall remain anonymous but his word is good enough for me:

Roy,

You are correct that these books were being pressed by Marnin BEFORE CGC.

So people did press books in the hopes of getting higher grades before CGC.

End of discussion on that front.

So? Does anyone have anything to add about the Mass collection being pressed between 1993-2000?

Another myth destroyed. This was PMd to me by a poster who shall remain anonymous but his word is good enough for me:

Roy,

VICTORY IS YOURS. HUZZAH!!! HUZZAH!!!

It's not about the victory all, it's about representing what actually happened. If I was wrong I'd have no problem admitting it.

Unfortunately, people extrapolate on what is written here and make personal biases (irrational ones at times) based on what people write on a chat forum.

I just want to show that I'm not trying to rewrite history and make something up that didn't happen.

:)

Roy,

Marnin used to post here and people accusing him of the pressing of the Mass books played out quite publicly in these forums a while back, although I can't remember the year--2004? 2005? I forget. It's buried under the time-limited search function now though. :( I vaguely recall some continuation from that controversy and the development of the Network Of Disclosure (NOD) organization, but I don't remember specifics, I could be off. :blush:

Roy,

:roflmao:

It wasn't only the Silver Snail either, but I always remember them charging overguide for the primo stuff.

Interesting! When was this? Which titles?

I tried finding primo stuff from Silver Snail for 10-20 years but never found any, certainly not early Silver Age DC, Charlton or Archie Adventure anyway.

(shrug)

Marnin used to post here....

Was he not banned for being a constant critic of CGC? Did CGC not threaten to sue Marnin?

???

No--someone said that a month or two ago in a thread and Borock reaffirmed then that they never banned him, that he just swore off the forums. I think he was active on the NOD and subsequently the CBCA forums after that big meltdown regarding his issues with pressing, so I guess he just traded this community for that one. I can't remember whether his issues were his own with regards to CGC's stance on pressing, everyone's issues with him pressing the Mass books, or both. hm(shrug)

It wasn't only the Silver Snail either, but I always remember them charging overguide for the primo stuff.

Interesting! When was this? Which titles?

I tried finding primo stuff from Silver Snail for 10-20 years but never found any, certainly not early Silver Age DC, Charlton or Archie Adventure anyway.

(shrug)

I was frequenting the Silver Snail as early as 25 years ago, at least once a week. I started learning their retailing tendencies after the first year of making regular visits. Whenever collection acquisitions would happen, they would display a bunch of stuff on the wall, but they would also hold back quite a bit. Again, timing could have been part of the explanation (i.e. Overstreet guide release), it might have been because they wanted to see some sell-through on the floor, or the books they held were special. I used to wonder how they could keep their eyes on all the stuff near the front entrance - I'm not sure how it is today, but back then, it used to be a zoo in that store on Saturdays.

After making a few large dollar purchases, I would always ask if they had any other "high-dollar" stuff I could look through. I also remember trying the "how are you pricing this stuff"on them, but they had so much walk-by traffic in a bustling area of the city that if it made it to the wall, it was gone before the next time I stopped-in. Back in around 1995 I scored a NM copy of Hulk 181 they had priced at $650. I say I scored because it was on the wall, but just put up a day or two before I arrived and that was one of the few times I stopped-in on a weekday. I believe the guide price was somewhere around $350. They didn't budge on the price. Unfortunately, I didn't hang on to it long enough to see it CGC graded as it was one of the books that was stolen from me.

According to Marnin, a very small handful of the thousands of Massachusetts comics were pressed. Certainly, much larger numbers of them have gotten the treatment subsequently with the advent of CGC, as evidenced by the many examples that have been upgraded over the past decade.

According to Marnin, a very small handful of the thousands of Massachusetts comics were pressed. Certainly, much larger numbers of them have gotten the treatment subsequently with the advent of CGC, as evidenced by the many examples that have been upgraded over the past decade.

I appreciate the input but the point is not really how many were pressed, it's whether people were stand alone pressing books pre CGC to increase the grades of the books and it's obvious that they were.

I appreciate the input but the point is not really how many were pressed, it's whether people were stand alone pressing books pre CGC to increase the grades of the books and it's obvious that they were.

HUZZAH!

HUZZAH!

This is my new favorite thing.

Marnin used to post here....

Was he not banned for being a constant critic of CGC? Did CGC not threaten to sue Marnin?

???

No--someone said that a month or two ago in a thread and Borock reaffirmed then that they never banned him, that he just swore off the forums.

Marnin told me it was a self banning from CGC.

I was frequenting the Silver Snail as early as 25 years ago, at least once a week.

I might have been dropping in on the Silver Snail as regularly as once a week in the 1979-81 period before the store moved west to its present location, but I really didn't have much luck finding high grade pre-1964 DCs at the store. Granted, I bought my Flash 106 from Silver Snail in 1983 or so, but it's not even in VF condition by modern standards. Sure, Silver Age Marvels could be found at Silver Snail, but those have always been just about everywhere.

(shrug)

BTW, has everyone else noticed that the OP referred to Schell's collection as Vaulted not Vaunted? Always good to know there are other sticklers for accuracy on this board.

;)

I was frequenting the Silver Snail as early as 25 years ago, at least once a week.

I might have been dropping in on the Silver Snail as regularly as once a week in the 1979-81 period before the store moved west to its present location, but I really didn't have much luck finding high grade pre-1964 DCs at the store. Granted, I bought my Flash 106 from Silver Snail in 1983 or so, but it's not even in VF condition by modern standards. Sure, Silver Age Marvels could be found at Silver Snail, but those have always been just about everywhere.

(shrug)

BTW, has everyone else noticed that the OP referred to Schell's collection as Vaulted not Vaunted? Always good to know there are other sticklers for accuracy on this board.

;)

clever play on words

You can choose to believe that a small amount were pressed.

I do not and Marnin has attempted to rewrite history with me a couple of times over different situations.

I also won't believe that when the books came to market it was coincidental with the latest release of the Overstreet Monthly price guide. My want list went up in price every month I waited for the Mass books to come to market. And believe me he wasn't quick about it either. I'm sure he would acknowledge that I called quite a few times asking when they were "ready".

(shrug)

;)

I intentionally called it vaulted because he has a section on his website, pedigreecomics called the 'vault' where he posted these books for sale. But they never really sold, so imho he's auctioning them off at one fell swoop to take advantage of the tsunami of interest they generate!

(btw, can someone please please answer my Q about selling on comicconect! I'm really curious how it works to have the consignors grade their own books! )