• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian's Phoenix Comic Con Report

20 posts in this topic

I see my brother Ron already did a small report this evening and figured I would add some more details. The Con itself was about twice the size space as last year. The aisles were nice and wide for the most part which allowed for ease of movement. The artist area was nice and had plenty of room. The celebrity section was also huge. There were few high grade books at the con this year. Ed's booth was the most impressive once again, Mike first showing was also very nice. Harley decided not to go and Terry came in his place. Greg White was there with a smaller than usual booth, Jay's Comics had their usual stuff. I was hoping for more this year and for the most part came away disappointed. I had planned to stay longer but actually got burned out and came home early. Usually I leave broke wishing I had more funds. This year I walked away with plenty of extra money.

Prices seemed higher and quality lower. If the folks from Phoenix Con read this please try to bring in more dealers next year for comics. I had planned to buy from a dealer that sells on the boards , but the con prices seemed higher than board sales even with shipping so I passed.

Did take some pics and will post them. Not much in the costume department as with prior years. I ended up getting a sketch from Bob Layton and a few comics from a local used book store.

Side note there was a huge area of Medieval displays knights catapults damsels etc. Why this was at a comic show I have no clue. Didn't interest me so I didn't take pics.

The Great Bob Layton and my newest Thing Sketch. He truly was a great guy, funny and very very nice. People need to support these artists / creators and buy sketches. I found that artists like Layton and Perez are cheaper and produce higher quality works than these newer artist. On a note of price I saw Lisner there and I know he is a great artist but starting price of 400.00 for a con sketch is a bit high IMHO.

Wish I wasn't so burned out when I picked up the sketch I would have enjoyed talking with him more and expressing how much I loved the piece better.

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

Here is my haul. The local Bookmans got these in from a woman selling her collection and they brought them to the con. I stumbled on them by chance and if I didn't; it would've been my first comicless con.

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

Here is my haul. The local Bookmans got these in from a woman selling her collection and they brought them to the con. I stumbled on them by chance and if I didn't; it would've been my first comicless con.

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

I'm curious. Is the plastic starting to smell wonky or turn yellowish after all these years?

I'm curious. Is the plastic starting to smell wonky or turn yellowish after all these years?

That is highly dependent on storage conditions.

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

Those are very nice. I would be really conflicted if they were mine. Part of me would want to keep them as they are, but I know I would also be itching to open them up. :ohnoez:

The Great Bob Layton and my newest Thing Sketch. He truly was a great guy, funny and very very nice. People need to support these artists / creators and buy sketches. I found that artists like Layton and Perez are cheaper and produce higher quality works than these newer artist. On a note of price I saw Lisner there and I know he is a great artist but starting price of 400.00 for a con sketch is a bit high IMHO.

IMG_2266.jpg

I saw Bob working the sketch up when I walked by his booth and thought it was going to turn out really nice. It did! Congrats! I had him work up an Iron Man for me on Friday, and will post it in the SS thread. Bob's a very good and "informal" guy. I had a great time talking with him and just being at the Con.