• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Memories of comics and my youth.

17 posts in this topic

Maybe these will trigger something in yourself and post your own recollections...

2 events that have shaped my life pertaining to comics

first is my dad bringing me to this very old and beutiful building with creaking wooden floors filled with 2 levels of used books and new ones.

I remember on the left were piles of issues of french Edition Heritage comics.

Avengers,Thor ,Spidey..im telling you miles of piles of comics.

My dad goes :" ill buy you one if you want."

Sure dad,gimme the hard job of picking just one among the thousands of mint glossy Kirby covers.

After what seemed like days debating which single one i would take home,i finally decided on this.

84-1.jpg

To this day still the coolest comic i ever read.Something about having superheroes work as a team.

The second event ,well many of those,is there was a restaurant depanneur next to where i lived and i did deliveries for the lady owner to old ladies nearby,and she would let me ..picture this..sit at one of the four tables near the window all summer,give me a Mae west,a glass of milk.

The best part ?

She would let me read freely from the comic rack as much as i would want.

All summer.

Thats the summer im punching in on my time machine.

Heck yeah! Great stories. Thanks for sharing.

My first exposure to comics was FF as well. In kindergarten, I received the digest sized reprint of the first 5 issues. Awesome memories. My earliest drawing inspiration is the Cinema Creature statue Kirby drew in FF 3. I reread that book until it fell apart. Good times.......... :cloud9:

My earliest memories of comics were my dad taking me to a little store down the street from my house. I remember my first comics being the 20-25 cent marvel westerns. Loved those stories (even thought they were re-prints of the earlier Marvels.)

Too bad nobody here (almost) knows what a Mae West is... :)

pretty sure he is referring to the cocktail. . .not the life preserver. (thumbs u

actually a small addendum to my comic rack story.

Some of the comics i wouldnt read like Dr.Strange but i would flip for every horror and monster story at the end of each.

I remember one about a monster eating planets (precursor to Galactus ? )

finally he gulps tiny earth down his throat,and the punchline is that HE gets eaten by a bigger monster.

My mind snapped at the thought.

Good times. :cloud9:

Too bad nobody here (almost) knows what a Mae West is... :)
In my limited life experience, it was a parachute malfunction that gave a round parachute a brassiere appearance, due to a skirt-over.

:cloud9:

I rarely noticed any racks in close proximity to the comics...., :sorry:

:cloud9:

I rarely noticed any racks in close proximity to the comics...., :sorry:

We're from Montreal. There are racks EVERYWHERE.

One of my first DCs (Batman #276). Believe it or not, this would help me down the supernatural path when I discover DC and Charlton mystery books.

My dad usually bought me comics from the store via spinner racks. I recall the many trips to convenience stores (which was a growth market in the late 70s early 80s) to drool over them.

Sadly, mid Bronze was my entry point.

Maybe these will trigger something in yourself and post your own recollections...

2 events that have shaped my life pertaining to comics

first is my dad bringing me to this very old and beutiful building with creaking wooden floors filled with 2 levels of used books and new ones.

I remember on the left were piles of issues of french Edition Heritage comics.

Avengers,Thor ,Spidey..im telling you miles of piles of comics.

My dad goes :" ill buy you one if you want."

Sure dad,gimme the hard job of picking just one among the thousands of mint glossy Kirby covers.

After what seemed like days debating which single one i would take home,i finally decided on this.

84-1.jpg

To this day still the coolest comic i ever read.Something about having superheroes work as a team.

The second event ,well many of those,is there was a restaurant depanneur next to where i lived and i did deliveries for the lady owner to old ladies nearby,and she would let me ..picture this..sit at one of the four tables near the window all summer,give me a Mae west,a glass of milk.

The best part ?

She would let me read freely from the comic rack as much as i would want.

All summer.

Thats the summer im punching in on my time machine.

Great story. I too have an affinity for FF#84. It was one of books my uncle bought for me on my very first trip to a true LCS. :cloud9:

My thoughts on looking at the cover were probably these...

Ok,lets analyse this image.

Some guy with a metal head,a rock guy,a flamy guy

Flying.

A castle,villagers and townsfolk.

And a parade of some kind.

What the hell is going on here ?

I better read this pronto or i'll never make it in life. :grin:

Fantastic Four 17 and X-Men 1 when I was a wee kid, along with an undetermined issue of Fox and Crow, plus Green Lantern 8, those are the four that stick in my mind from my earliest comic book memories. Three classics for sure, and if I ever find that issue of Fox and Crow again, mebbe four, lol

All my neighbor Brad's, and between the two of us I'm certain we read them to death.

The first one I ever owned was Fantastic Four 45, classic Lee/Kirby. Bought by Dad to shut me up for a while on a crosscountry trip, gargantuan Inhumans dustup plus the last page with the intro of Black Bolt! I pretty well memorized that one, right down to the letters page and the house ads.