• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

Dre truly gave everyone a nugget. Nothing more.

He sells comics but is not a speculator by trade. He often subs what he needs for his customers and treats them very well.

Maybe some didn't like they way it comes across but he is really trying to give some insight without fully tipping his cap.

Sad to see some of you attack what other people think of him. What do you have to gain except look like a tool to long standing and well respected board members?

+100

A nugget from Dre is worth more than 100 posts from the majority of the modern threads. Dre's a class act both on the boards, in person and in business, so any disrespect thrown his way is just pure BS.

Geez, anybody with 1/2 a brain knows that it's NOT the guy that gives you a '100% Sure Thing/Can't Miss' that you listen to...

I usually stay out of these kinds of threads. The oh-too common one where people start talking about things on a civil adult way, then go off track and start to make the thread about some personal vendetta. It's :screwy:

This time, I will throw my opinion into the ring. First of all, the comment that "Miso" made was purely tongue in cheek. That's completely how I took it and while email/text can be misinterpreted, I think his intent was clear.

As far as "hero worship" or any praise Dre gets from his quality of submissions is purely on a topical basis and is more about his sharp eye towards grading. I have yet to pin down a 9.9 or 10.0 book...But he does on a regular basis and any praise is based on him doing something well...as if someone played the piano really well or can sing....Before his untimely passing, Nik used to get SA/BA books that were graded higher than even he thought they should have been. Board members would call it the "Nik bump"....And people used to (worship) to him, on a strictly joking fashion.

Another comment was made about Dre and his business model and that he's "in it for the money, so stop drinking the Kool-Aid". I am paraphrasing here. This is my quote, but I took it to mean basically the same thing.

Let me tell jjeanius and anyone else that thinks Dre is "raking in the dough" or "taking these suckers for a ride".....What Beachbum does is tedious, time consuming, boring and ALOT of WORK !....For what I am guessing, little reward. Sure he makes money, but I think he deals with volume with a narrow profit margin . Supermarkets do this type of model. They are a penny or two difference, but the volume is what makes up for the lack of a large margin.

Add in the fact that I think Beachbum just LOVES what he does. Like a school teacher or someone who works for a nonprofit, they may not become rich, but they love going to work every day...

Lastly, as far as the drama and temper tantrums that go on here....and believe me, it used to be so much worse. People need to realize that if you ignore the people that like to poke, incite, create drama/tension/arguments, then it stops. It's sort of like a bonfire. You have to keep adding fuel to keep it going, more fuel, bigger the fire...No fuel, it goes out.

That's how you deal with nonsense...

Okay, I am stepping down off the large soapbox and going back to my (mostly) lurking stage.

True story -

I was sitting at a restaurant the other evening with my Fiancée, looked out the window and blurted out "we're gonna have an earthquake." I don't know why but something felt strange...

We had one at 3:30 AM that night centered in nearby Beverly Hills.

I woke up and laughed while it was happening. lol

True story.

True story -

I was sitting at a restaurant the other evening with my Fiancée, looked out the window and blurted out "we're gonna have an earthquake." I don't know why but something felt strange...

We had one at 3:30 AM that night centered in nearby Beverly Hills.

I woke up and laughed while it was happening. lol

True story.

Mate you seem able to hit the nail on the head everytime lol

Lastly, as far as the drama and temper tantrums that go on here....and believe me, it used to be so much worse. People need to realize that if you ignore the people that like to poke, incite, create drama/tension/arguments, then it stops. It's sort of like a bonfire. You have to keep adding fuel to keep it going, more fuel, bigger the fire...No fuel, it goes out.

This is the most sense I have heard on here in ages. I have just realised that I have been fuelling the fire and I am going take your advice from now on :)

Thanks mate :)

I'll talk a little O.T. also, even though I try not to usually. This is the type of post that I usually type out and just delete.

Dre is one of this places main attractions for me because of what he does and how he does it. I first noticed the early beachbum grimm variants on ebay, and couldn't figure out if it was a brick and mortar store, or online store, or who he was.

After some online searching, and some messaging on ebay, I figured that he was a really quality-committed, grass-roots, one-man show who goes out and owns it on a regular basis. So I'm like, yeah, I have to try and get next to this guy in case I need to try and get something rare or whatever.

So here I am, there he is, and we should all be happy that he is out there, doing what he does on such a personalized level. It's up to the buyer to decide what and when to buy, and some of his stuff is more run-of-the-mill, and maybe a raw "9.8 worthy" book will still be in the same shape when it gets to me, or maybe not, so I usually just get that stuff elsewhere anyway. But some of his stuff is truly rare and hard to get, either with the exclusive issues, or the highest-grade cgc slabs.

If he mentions something like he did about Revival, it's not like he hasn't been selling the books like hotcakes already, so he must just be dropping some knowledge and I'm not going to question his motives as to why.

Dre, have you had time to read Revival yet? I would like to know what you think about it, also to get back on topic. =)

So i just read the first issue. Don't want to read all 228 pages of this thread but i don't get what the big deal is. Nice art, story didn't do anything for me (shrug)

25% of this thread is about Revival the other 75% just arguments and postage disputes.

I usually stay out of these kinds of threads. The oh-too common one where people start talking about things on a civil adult way, then go off track and start to make the thread about some personal vendetta. It's :screwy:

This time, I will throw my opinion into the ring. First of all, the comment that "Miso" made was purely tongue in cheek. That's completely how I took it and while email/text can be misinterpreted, I think his intent was clear.

As far as "hero worship" or any praise Dre gets from his quality of submissions is purely on a topical basis and is more about his sharp eye towards grading. I have yet to pin down a 9.9 or 10.0 book...But he does on a regular basis and any praise is based on him doing something well...as if someone played the piano really well or can sing....Before his untimely passing, Nik used to get SA/BA books that were graded higher than even he thought they should have been. Board members would call it the "Nik bump"....And people used to (worship) to him, on a strictly joking fashion.

Another comment was made about Dre and his business model and that he's "in it for the money, so stop drinking the Kool-Aid". I am paraphrasing here. This is my quote, but I took it to mean basically the same thing.

Let me tell jjeanius and anyone else that thinks Dre is "raking in the dough" or "taking these suckers for a ride".....What Beachbum does is tedious, time consuming, boring and ALOT of WORK !....For what I am guessing, little reward. Sure he makes money, but I think he deals with volume with a narrow profit margin . Supermarkets do this type of model. They are a penny or two difference, but the volume is what makes up for the lack of a large margin.

Add in the fact that I think Beachbum just LOVES what he does. Like a school teacher or someone who works for a nonprofit, they may not become rich, but they love going to work every day...

Okay, I am stepping down off the large soapbox and going back to my (mostly) lurking stage.

Thank you you said it much better than I could have. It was purely meant in jest (major props to Dre). People seem to keep missing my posts stating as such. Hopefully this clears it all up

And Dre sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. I totally didn't mean to start this whole mess.

Edited by Miso

Thank you you said it much better than I could have. It was purely meant it jest (major props to Dre). People seem to keep missing my posts stating as such. Hopefully this clears it all up

And Dre sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. I totally didn't mean to start this whole mess.

I took your post in the way it was intended, it was the reaction of others that I didn't like :facepalm:

I didn't think it was a shot at Dre. The "hero worship" comment was aimed at the over the top, brown nosing, jock riders that grovel at his feet.

Oh, and Dre about that book, you're the Man, you're the best,

thank you, and PM sent. :baiting:

+1 And I only contributed 1 sentence to this thread but for some reason people seem to get bogged down in full page responses. Obviously I hit a nerve with some people - and some people agreed with me. It's the internet.... Deal with it and move on.

I liked revival and have been keeping up on this thread. It is quiet entertaining. The main point to all of this is, it's nice if the book sales go up. WOOHOO US because we have probably made some money. But don't forget that we are all just kids enjoying a great story.