• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fox may have accidentally given away the plot of that X-Men sequel

31 posts in this topic

http://blastr.com/2012/06/20th-century-fox-may-have.php

Thanks to a title filing with the MPAA, 20th Century Fox may have just spilled some spoilery beans on where they're going with the X-Men First Class sequel—or perhaps a new X-Men film entirely.

The studio has filed the title Days of Future Past with the MPAA for an unidentified future project—and as any X-Men fan knows—that's also the title of a popular comic arc from 1981.

The two-issue arc delved into a dark potential future, where mutants are kept locked up in internment camps. Future Kitty Pryde sends her mind back to present-day Kitty Pryde, and the X-Men jump in to help prevent the anti-mutant future.

Considering the potential, this could work as a First Class sequel, or a way to reboot and continue the original X-Men film trilogy. Regardless, the story has awesome potential for the big screen.

Sound off: Do you think Fox is going with the alt-timeline story, or is this just one big coincidence?

http://blastr.com/2012/06/20th-century-fox-may-have.php

Thanks to a title filing with the MPAA, 20th Century Fox may have just spilled some spoilery beans on where they're going with the X-Men First Class sequel—or perhaps a new X-Men film entirely.

The studio has filed the title Days of Future Past with the MPAA for an unidentified future project—and as any X-Men fan knows—that's also the title of a popular comic arc from 1981.

The two-issue arc delved into a dark potential future, where mutants are kept locked up in internment camps. Future Kitty Pryde sends her mind back to present-day Kitty Pryde, and the X-Men jump in to help prevent the anti-mutant future.

Considering the potential, this could work as a First Class sequel, or a way to reboot and continue the original X-Men film trilogy. Regardless, the story has awesome potential for the big screen.

Sound off: Do you think Fox is going with the alt-timeline story, or is this just one big coincidence?

That would be freaking awesome. This Claremont/Byrne story arc has been brought up before by fanboys as a great story to base an X-Movie on. Please please please bring the Sentinels to the big screen in all their CGI glory. This would be a winner.

If it's done, it's going to be different than the comics.

Hurry up and grab your Byrne X-men original art before it gets too expens....... too late.

Yeah, it'll get Hollywood-ized, but that's ok. Thanks to Marvel Studios raising the bar on superhero movies, I expect we won't get a Ratner treatment to the X-Men again.

That's less like giving away the plot and more like giving away the basic premise. It's actually a nice tease, not any more than we would get by knowing, for example, that the title would be "X-Men: Future Past" or seeing the first trailer which shows Wolverine as an old man or whatever.

It's kind of nice to imagine.

Maybe give it to Joss Whedon and let him work his magic?

I don't know if he'd do a darker-themed team movie as well as a regular hero vs villain team movie. Part of his magic is how his characters personalities interact. I see Days being much darker, almost like a Terminator feel to it - if they were to keep true to the story.

Of course, that may not be the direction they are going. Upon further reflection, I'm not sure how casual audiences will embrace a future version of the X-Men, since we've gone so long without the main characters (since X-Men 3).

Yeah, it'll get Hollywood-ized, but that's ok. Thanks to Marvel Studios raising the bar on superhero movies, I expect we won't get a Ratner treatment to the X-Men again.

Unfortunately Marvel Studios does not own the sole rights to X-men and will only co-produce these films until Fox releases the rights to Marvel/Disney. If you want to see fully controlled Marvel/Disney productions it is everything Avengers.

That's less like giving away the plot and more like giving away the basic premise. It's actually a nice tease, not any more than we would get by knowing, for example, that the title would be "X-Men: Future Past" or seeing the first trailer which shows Wolverine as an old man or whatever.

It's kind of nice to imagine.

I love the Wolverine with the grey streaks. He looks like a grizzled old college professor.

Unfortunately Marvel Studios does not own the sole rights to X-men and will only co-produce these films until Fox releases the rights to Marvel/Disney. If you want to see fully controlled Marvel/Disney productions it is everything Avengers.

Yeah, Marvel's out on FF, DD and X-Men (Punisher, too?) but they have set the bar for what people expect to see, and what studio execs profit margins should be. Regardless of the other studios and what they are making - we're going to be getting better films than what we had before.

I'm not convinced that Days Of Future Past will translate well to a movie version. It'd have to be done exceptionally well to not come off as silly, especially to the non comic geek portion of the audience.