• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tim Vigil.... Underappreciated master . Show off your books here!

129 posts in this topic

With Faust coming to an end very soon, it would still be awesome to see Tim get some deserved recognition in the industry for being the very accomplished artist that his is. And, while I love what Greg Capullo is doing on Batman, I still would like to see Tim get an official Batman project.

Here is a cover that Tim did for free and submitted to Todd McFarlane to use for FREE... it was rejected. Can you believe that.

Spawn_Cover.jpg

Clearly Todd does not like to be upstaged. lol
No kidding :P

I think Tim is a better artist than Todd 2c

That's extremely high praise. I agree with you.

With Faust coming to an end very soon, it would still be awesome to see Tim get some deserved recognition in the industry for being the very accomplished artist that his is. And, while I love what Greg Capullo is doing on Batman, I still would like to see Tim get an official Batman project.

Here is a cover that Tim did for free and submitted to Todd McFarlane to use for FREE... it was rejected. Can you believe that.

Spawn_Cover.jpg

Nope_925YWK.gif

Spawn_Cover.jpg

Nope_925YWK.gif

:whatev:

Spawn_Cover.jpg

Nope_925YWK.gif

:whatev:
:slapfight:

That's extremely high praise. I agree with you.

I also think Tim was probably more of an influence on the early-90s generation of artists than people realize. If you look at the kind of linework detail he had in his work as early as the mid-80s -- particularly stuff like details on faces and so on, you can see a lot of general technique that then became widespread 5 years later.

Spawn_Cover.jpg

I'd reject it as a cover as well. It's an excellent drawing, but it tells no story. It doesn't portray any type of situation that would get a kid to plop down his quarter to buy the comic.

That's what far too many comic artist wannabees overlook these days. It's not just about drawing pretty pictures. The pictures are there first and foremost to tell a story, and the cover must portray a situation that will sell the comic!

:makepoint:

I'd reject it as a cover as well. It's an excellent drawing, but it tells no story. It doesn't portray any type of situation that would get a kid to plop down his quarter to buy the comic.

That's what far too many comic artist wannabees overlook these days. It's not just about drawing pretty pictures. The pictures are there first and foremost to tell a story, and the cover must portray a situation that will sell the comic!

I would disagree. What is the difference in the story that is projected by these two drawing?

Spawn_Cover.jpg

41195.jpg

Spawn_Cover.jpg

meh

Spawn_3.jpg

I would disagree. What is the difference in the story that is projected by these two drawing?

Spawn_Cover.jpg

41195.jpg

None. And they both suck as covers.

meh

Spawn_3.jpg

And that one sucks too.

This is quickly becoming a post your sucky covers thread. Not normally my cup of tea but I'll just have to make the best of it I suppose.

(shrug)

I had all of Tim's portfolios until recently. I just sold all 4 of the Faust portfolios, the Erotic Macabre,Dragon Master and Grips portfolios. Also the Gunfighters in Hell portfolio.

I post these in another thread and thought I would bring them over here...

2005 Wizard World Texas (Arlington at the time). Spent literally all day sitting at Tim and Joe Vigil's booth drinking Knob Creek, drawing and BSing while Tim did sketches for people. After the con was over, we all went to Hooters, ate wings and drank 3 pitchers of beer. The only thing better was the next night when we, along with Jerry Beck and Tony "Ugly Knuckles" went to the Fantasy Ranch (Full Nude) joint for a few hours! Aw yes, life before responsibilities :P

Tim Vigil

TimVigil.jpg

Joe Vigil

JoeVigil.jpg

Tim Vigil Sketch of Dimebag Darrell

TimVigilSketch.jpg

Joe Vigil Sketch of a Zombie

JoeVigilSketch.jpg

One of my most prized things... an art lesson from the master himself

TimVigil-ArtLesson.jpg

Spawn_Cover.jpg

41195.jpg

None. And they both suck as covers.

meh

Spawn_3.jpg

And that one sucks too.

This is quickly becoming a post your sucky covers thread. Not normally my cup of tea but I'll just have to make the best of it I suppose.

(shrug)

Probably 1/3 of the Spawn covers in the 220+ issues tell you nothing about the story inside. A great many of them are poses just like that one.

I will tell you though, if you ever get to meet Tim at a con, ask to see not only this for sale artwork portfolios, but see if he has his sketchbooks with him as well. There are always amazing gems in both of them!

Plus don't be shy, Tim use to love to talk to his fans. And that's what makes me even more of a fan. He takes time to get to know his audience and is always open to opinions. One of the best things was me calling him out on Web Witch. Which if you have seen it, you know that isn't really Tim's artwork. I found out that all he did was quck layouts and covers. Other people at Avatar finished the artwork.

I found out that all he did was quck layouts and covers. Other people at Avatar finished the artwork.

This is not quite accurate.

The assist/finisher on the second half of the project is Adam McDaniel, who previously collaborated with Vigil on Cuda, and who I think is someone Tim knew from the Northstar days.

Another regular Vigil collaborator, Jeff Austin (Faust, Raw Media, Eo) inked all of the project except the 7-page prelude.

The inker on the 7-page prelude piece is Robert Jones, who I suppose would qualify as the "other people at Avatar".

I wouldn't disagree that the book is artistically inconsistent in places, but there is definitely some good, painstakingly-realized Vigil in there too.

vigil-webwitch.jpg

(and... heh. I'd forgotten we got a Finch cover on this...)

finch-webwitch.jpg

Don't take this for being disagreeable, because I don't know precisely what you heard and I have immense respect for Tim -- he has... staggering creative ability. But I'm just saying that with the exception of Jones, these were regular collaborators that Tim was well familiar with, we didn't just throw a bunch of random guys on the book. ;)

Probably 1/3 of the Spawn covers in the 220+ issues tell you nothing about the story inside. A great many of them are poses just like that one.

That may be part of the reason why I've never been tempted to buy any Spawn comics.

(shrug)

I wouldn't disagree that the book is artistically inconsistent in places, but there is definitely some good, painstakingly-realized Vigil in there too.

vigil-webwitch.jpg

Once again, I love Tim Vigil's anatomy and backgrounds; but I hate the gory subject matter.

(shrug)

vigil-webwitch.jpg

Once again, I love Tim Vigil's anatomy and backgrounds; but I hate the gory subject matter.

(shrug)

Yeah, he digs the violence. I'd love to see him illustrate a childrens book.