• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switch to Mylar

25 posts in this topic

I have made a conscious decision to switch to Mylar for all of my comics, specifically the Mylites2 from E. Gerber.

I know that these are a price increase over poly bags, but i got 500 of them off of ebay for a shade less than $100

That works out to roughly $.18 per comic.

I consider that to be a minimal investment for this chosen hobby of mine.

After all, I am not in this as a short term speculation, nor am i trying to get rich off of this. I have been doing this for almost 30 years and I collect comics, because i love the artform.....the covers, the stories.....all of it.

In the grand scheme of things i dont think that is too much to spend per comic to ensure they are something that i can give my kids or grandkids one day.

Not to mention the fact that they make the books look SO good.

I am at the beginning of moving almost 3000 comics to mylar (about 300 in so far)

Has anyone else gone this route?

I have made a conscious decision to switch to Mylar for all of my comics, specifically the Mylites2 from E. Gerber.

I know that these are a price increase over poly bags, but i got 500 of them off of ebay for a shade less than $100

After all, I am not in this as a short term speculation, nor am i trying to get rich off of this. I have been doing this for almost 30 years and I collect comics, because i love the artform.....the covers, the stories.....all of it.

In the grand scheme of things i dont think that is too much to spend per comic to ensure they are something that i can give my kids or grandkids one day.

I am at the beginning of moving almost 3000 comics to mylar (about 300 in so far)

It's a smart move to make. If you've been collecting almost 30 years I'm sure some of your poly bags have started to yellow and degrade. Mylars look better and do a better job of protecting your books.

I am doing this to all of my "permanent" collection comics, ie, the comics I won't replace because I have my desired grade in them.

I have deep regret that I didn't invest in fullbacks. I'm only about 100 comics in, but I am going to be doing that for sure.

WTTB Mr...ahem...Rod!

Don't just switch the bags, switch the boards to Fullbacks as well. Not only will your books look great, but Fullbacks will provide great stability.

Check out board member Hotflips website: http://www.hotflips.com

Super guys and super service.

+1 I love the mylar's that Hotflips sell. Also I love their CGC Bags. Nicest guys you could ever get supplies from and their customer service is Second to None!

I am doing this to all of my "permanent" collection comics, ie, the comics I won't replace because I have my desired grade in them.

I have deep regret that I didn't invest in fullbacks. I'm only about 100 comics in, but I am going to be doing that for sure.

"permanent"? Oh, thats right.. You are new here..

Wait until the ADHD REALLY kicks in!

In the process of converting my entire collection to mylite 2's and fullbacks.

What's amazing (though not surprising) is how much space is lost in the conversion due to the new thickness of the fullbacks.

I definitely feel it's worth it though, looking at some of the sleeves that were on some of my books made me cringe.

Your books will look spectacular in mylars. I need to order up a few more hundred myself. BTW your board name is killing me. lol

Same here! Every time I see him post, I do a lol

I just bought some books from Peter(silver surfer) that he cracked out of slabs and sent in mylars. I am NOT a fan of cracking out Pedigrees like these were but I gotta say they looked AMAZING in the mylars (worship)

I would LOVE to do that for all my worthy raw books but between the cost($400-500) and the time and effort, I just can't get around to it :blush:

One of these days :wishluck:

lol

First Dr. Balls, now HarryRod. It's absolutely pork and beans around here.

Yeah, I made the transition fairly recently. I agree with the full-backs. For expensive books, I combine with Archives.

You might want to check out this excellent LINK from fellow boardie "mschmidt."

You might want to check out this excellent LINK from fellow boardie "mschmidt."

:golfclap: I should have posted the link to that thread myself. One of best threads ever put together for this forum.

Also! As VW Clobberin pointed out, you will need to buy appropriate boxes if you go the Silver/Gold Mylite2 w/Fullback option due to size issues. Hotflips doesn't sell the boxes so you will need to get them directly from Gerber at: http://www.egerber.com/ Again, they are pricey so unless you are an obsessive like me you'll likely only want to do this for your high dollar books.

I have comic books that aren't worth the eighteen cents in Mylite2s and a halfback. :ohnoez:

I have comic books that aren't worth the eighteen cents in Mylite2s and a halfback. :ohnoez:

Same here! I figure they might be worth something when I eventually have kids and give them to them, so I may as well keep them looking nice from the get go right? :)

Just waiting for Hotflips to get back to me with a shipping quote to Canada so my order can proceed. I found a nice lot of 50 or so "Near Mint" raw Ironman's between 100-332 to help fill up my run, so they will hopefully get here at the same time as my supplies :)

Are the boxes Hotflips sells acid free (both regular and CGC boxes), or just regular ones drenched in acid? :cool:

what is a full back? sorry for the noob question

http://www.egerber.com/category.asp?CategoryID=449&SubcategoryID=561

These are THE highest quality backing boards you can get. Trust me I've used them all and there is no comparison. Yes they are pricey but if you want to protect your books, these are the boards to get.

Yes, I'm in the middle of converting all the old bags/boards for my raw books that I plan to keep long-term. Very time consuming but very much worth it if you also incorporate the Fullbacks boards as previously suggested. Hotflips is an excellent source for all things investment grade. If you really want to go overkill also consider the micro chamber paper inserts for your comic-degradation paranoia :o Board member Grinin is a great source for this as well.

In the process of converting my entire collection to mylite 2's and fullbacks.

What's amazing (though not surprising) is how much space is lost in the conversion due to the new thickness of the fullbacks.

I definitely feel it's worth it though, looking at some of the sleeves that were on some of my books made me cringe.

Continuing on the trend of my collecting paranoia you can also invest in the archival boxes since you may find need for additional boxes anyway depending on how many total books you need to re-bag/board. As TSwift25 has pointed out you do lose a surprising amount of space when converting all materials to the archival quality mylar and Fullbacks. (worship)